• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bol.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Niner RIP 9 #2 (new bouncy clown bike)
  • bol

Following the demise of my Mk1 RIP 9, or Bike of Doom as it became known as, here is it’s massively more convincing Mk2 replacement. More bike than I’ll ever need, and already bringing the reckless child out in me!

Yes, I know I need to rake the leaves.

godzilla
    Free Member

Yes, I know I need to rake the leaves.

Is that your garden or do you work for the council ?

wwaswas

already bringing the reckless child out in me!

Well you’ve left the path – Parkie will be after you, you scamp!

bol

Yeh, it’s my own garden, complete with my own alcoholics and turd trees.

daznal
    Free Member

Whats with the rh handle bar extension in pic 3?

bol

Pretty sure that’s a tree, but you can just see one of my daytime drinkers lurking between the fork crown and brace.

daznal
    Free Member

MMM thought that was your mascot as thats where i fasten mine

matt_outandabout

sweeet bike

hugor
    Free Member

Enjoy – they are magnificent bikes. My one is raw as well and they age really well. After 2 years it still looks as good as new when I get around to cleaning it. I doubt you’ll go back to 26 now.
    Once you get used to its handling you’ll break down all the myths regarding the poor handling of 29ers in the tight, tech and gnar.

bol

It certainly doesn’t feel slow witted in the singletrack, although the weight shows on the climbs, and I’m not sure it’s the ideal bike for most of my local riding. A lot of fun though, and I can’t wait to take it to somewhere a bit more challenging.

The real 29er test for me will be the Scandal that I’m building up next week. If that handles as well as my Soda with all the other big wheel benefits, I have a feeling the Soda might be giving way for a Solaris next year. I don’t want to get ahead of myself mind…

honourablegeorge

You and George, united in bikes.

bol

He can’t be all **** then.

Duggan

😆

hugor
    Free Member

It certainly doesn’t feel slow witted in the singletrack, although the weight shows on the climbs, and I’m not sure it’s the ideal bike for most of my local riding. A lot of fun though, and I can’t wait to take it to somewhere a bit more challenging.

The issue I find is that they don’t feel quick but when you look at the times they are much quicker in the tech than your 26. Because the wheel doesn’t throw you around as much it feels slower than it is. I still ride my 26 on one SS regularly but when I compare my times around my local trail centre I am way quicker on the RIP even though it appears slower.

handyman
    Free Member

whats rear tyre clearance like? i have a turner sultan now, i was looking at the niner’s but the tyre clearance held me back

bol

Hugor – I’m sure you’re right. On everything other than draggy climbs I was keeping up well with
    my mates on hardtails and cross bikes on our local “xc lite” loop. I’m sure on anything more technical it would be loads faster. The thing I noticed about climbing is that keeping momentum is much more important than on a lighter 26″. Obvious point, I realise.

Handyman – I don’t think you’d have any problems with tyre clearance. I’ve read about people using 2.4″ and 2.5″ rated tyres with no issues. I think the racier Jet 9 has tighter clearances though.

bol

Had a proper play on the bike this morning. It’s much more capable than I am. I need to get some proper autumn/winter tyres on it though, as the Nanoraptor that came on the back is sketchy as anything on wet leaves.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Niner RIP 9 #2 (new bouncy clown bike)’ is closed to new replies.