Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Niner MCR 9 (?)
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Who’s got one? How are they? (Pics?) On my size (5′ 7″ and a tad), are folks on a small or medium?

Ta.

mattjg
    Free Member

I take it not then!

teammilo
    Free Member

Hey Matt, You know you want one!! it’s simply brilliant!!
    I love mine Get one one trial you will love it !!

tang
    Free Member

Mine is a very sweet ride and i love it. I’m 6ft on a medium(could ride a large but it’s got a long TT so 70mm stem and inline post spot on) Not sure it’s worth the UK rrp with frames like the Solaris about.

Metasequoia

I have a 2009 XL one, its big for an XL, very light, sprightly and springy. Not Cheap.

mattjg
    Free Member

thx guys

medium test rig picked up today, I’ll give it some welly the next few days and see how we go

(after a few laps of the garden on the MCR I got back on my Soul and couldn’t believe the amount of fresh air between me and the front tyre, felt like I was on a tightrope)

@milo it doesn’t feel as dialled as yours did yet but it needs some fettling. has a 90mm stem for starters, too long for l’il ol’ me.

anyone ever seen a small in the flesh? do they work?

takisawa2

Not the MCR, but I’m 5′ 8.5″ on a medium SIR9. (Same but for the EBB).
    Fits lovely. Amazing ride quality. Running mine with 50mm stem. Tried 90 / 70 but 50mm works well. Running Niner steel forks & love them. Much deliberation over what to get, but glad I got the Niner.

If your near Lichfield your welcome to have a spin.

IMAG0420 by pten2106, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

thx, am nowhere near Lichfield, ta for pic

am a tiny tad shorter than you, demo has a 90mm stem, switched it for a 70 and it changed the game immediately, have a 50 in the garage somewhere so need to go find it!

mattjg
    Free Member

and the green looks better than I expected

corroded
    Free Member

Sizing Q: would a large fit a 6’1″ rider? They’re definitely an option for my new bike but I won’t be able to try before I buy.

bol

I’m a Niner fan, but unless you don’t like your Soul, I’d have a serious try out with a Solaris before taking the plunge.

matt_outandabout

6′ and half an inch here and used to own a Large EMD – alloy but same geometry. Ace bike, nippy and fast over all sorts of terrain. Shame it was nicked…

100_5057.JPG by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Cheezpleez

You going to be out on that tomorrow Matt? Might have to wrestle it off you for a quick test : )

mattjg
    Free Member

@bol I will if I can, may not have the option. I like my Soul. Not even sure I want a 29er yet. If I get one, the Soul goes as they’d do the same job.

@corroded see http://www.ninerbikes.com/mcr9 ‘Geometry’ tab, it says you’d be at the very top of the height range for a medium, bang in the middle for a large. I’m 5’8″ and the medium seems OK for me so far.

Cheezpleez

Solaris isn’t available for short arses 🙁

mattjg
    Free Member

@cheez not sure but can fit you in somehow, I have it a few more days

mattjg
    Free Member

who you callin’ short?

mattjg
    Free Member

I did 20 odd miles on the MCR 9 this morning – a ‘made for 29er’ run from Dorking to Newlands Corner and back. Lots of fast contouring tracks, not many big gradients or super twisty ST.

* can’t fault the frame, does what it says on the tin
    * medium is right for me, Corroded you probably need to try a large
    * the outstanding feature of the ride (be it the frame or the wheel size) for me is stability – it’s on rails. Maybe too much, more time needed with it.
    * I’m knackered. I think that’s because, the ride being a tad smoother, I’m holding more momentum, keeping the pace up, and pushing a higher gear than I’m used to. Cumulatively that adds up. So the bike feels like it’s harder work than my Soul, however I’m likely going faster for that.

More time needed.

takisawa2

6′ is too big for a medium. I’d say 5’10” as the max.

They are very smooth, but they do flex a bit. I love mine. It’s exactly what I was hoping it would be. Spends most of its time SS, but I have some 100mm Floats & a dropper post I can put on for silly stuff.
    I do cover ground a lot quicker on the Niner than any other bike I’ve had.
    When I first rode it it reminded me of an old Soul I had once.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m 6’3 and ride a large One9 if that helps – perfect fit and a med would be way too small.

tang
    Free Member

[/url]
    Untitled by tangwyn, on Flickr[/img]

I sold my soul for a swift which didnt work for me; fell between sizes and a bit heavy feeling on the back, the mcr is much lighter and whippyer on the back. I rode them both back to back on the same trails. I’d hope the solaris is the same. 6ft/32″ inseam, medium frame, inline post, 70mm stem, 9deg backsweep on flatbar, reba teams@100mm, 2×10 drivetrain = spot on for me.

mattjg
    Free Member

Just back from another try out ride. This bike is well named, it’s almost cheating. Or put another way, it feels like a short travel FS with the rebound set to ‘perfect’. And man it chews up trail.

Hmmmm.

Bugger.

matt_outandabout

Cheezpleeze – not riding it any more, some scrote in sheffield nicked it… 🙁

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Niner MCR 9 (?)’ is closed to new replies.