Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-in vs. Spray on
  • Mat

I’m having an outdoor kit washing session, everything is being washed with Techwash at the moment but I’m trying to figure out what I’m going to use to proof, I have bottles of TX.Direct wash-in and spray, obviously I’d rather do it all with wash-in because I’m lazy.

I have:
    eVent Jacket
    Gore-tex Jacket
    berghaus AQ2 – cheap waterproof trousers, mesh lined
    Hyvent waterproof trousers

Nikwax say…

Using the right waterproofing product is important. Nikwax TX.Direct® Spray-On is fantastic for raingear with wicking linings, as it provides Durable Water Repellency (DWR) without impairing wicking properties. However, if wicking linings aren’t present, using Nikwax TX.Direct® Wash-In ensures you won’t miss any areas (complete DWR coverage!) and it’s easy to apply in a washing machine.

… so pardon my ignorance in technical fabrics but what is defined as a wicking lining? My previous understanding was that cheaper fabrics with that plasticy white stuff on the inside had a wicking lining, whereas the likes of of Goretex/eVent do not. This seeems to be at odds with what some people are saying on outdoor forums though. I know it’s probably not going to matter too much either way.

What’re the thoughts of STW?

Mat

oh sorry wrong forum! can the mods move it?

jameso

Had very good results reproofing goretex and pertex using tech wash by hand then spray on. Not tried it with the washing machine tho.

raingear with wicking linings, as it provides Durable Water Repellency (DWR) without impairing wicking properties

I read that as stuff like Buffalo kit or softshells where DWR outer is good but you don’t want anything like that on the wicking or insulating liner. Same would apply to the cheaper waterproofs you mention with the mesh linings.

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’d say that by “wicking lining” they mean clothes that have softer, fleecy type fabrics on the inside. I’ve had good results with the wash in, but I’ve only used it on waterproofs that are just the waterproof layer, they don’t have other fancy bits. Never tried the spray on, so I’ve no idea how good it is, but I’ve heard it can require a little more care when you apply it.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I always use the spray on version if there is ANY type of thermal lining – just not worth the risk of damaging the lining. I only use the wash-in version on shell jackets.

If you always wash with Techwash, you don’t usually need to re-apply proofing. After washing, just test out the water proofing and only spray if it needs it i.e. doesn’t bead up when wetted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gore staff told me to use non bio detergent then spray on during a factory visit

devash
    Free Member

The wash-in stuff is fantastic. I’ve used the Nikwax pre-wash followed by the wash-in reproofer on bike and snowboarding kit for a couple of years now with no issues.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Nikwax theory is 3 to 1 (that is 3 x washes to 1 x re-proof), Tech Wash is pure liquid soap. TX Direct Wash-in is fine for shell type garments with no linings and the Spray-on is better as it only goes on the outside of a garment where it’s needed. Air or tumble dry on a low setting. Using Wash-in is ok but you are going to waterproof the linings also.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Does it have a mesh liner? Or something thicker?
    The wash-in will inhibit moisture transmission as that liner is intended to transfer moisture from the air to the outer fabric. Not sure how noticeable it will be though.
    Wash-in for garment with single layer, spray for anything else.
    That was what several garment manufactures told me. Fabric, be it Even, Goretex or just Pertex is irrelevant.
    Having said that spray-on is fussy. You are supposed to use it on a wet garment laid flat. Now how can you do both sides at once as when you turn it over it goes everywhere?
    Wasteful.
    I suppose its best to do the best you can and buy a single layer garment next time 🙄

Wash it with pure soap (or the pricey tecwash stuff) having run at least 1 very hot, soap free wash through the machine first. Chuck some towels in as they supposedly help clean things up a bit first.
    Isn’t it a bit daft that in this day and age we are still having to reproof our jackets like this.
    Remember though that unless it is actually penetrated the waterproof membrane will not lose its proofing, its just the ability to pass water vapour that is inhibited if the outer fabric wets out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-in vs. Spray on’ is closed to new replies.