Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nikwax query
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve got some waterproof items that need washing, and some Nikwax, but I’m not entirely sure about what product is for what task. Am I right in thinking that:

Techwash is for items that need a wash but should otherwise be waterproof still
    TXDirect is for clean items that need re-waterproofing.

Practical case study: I have a slightly muddy but still waterproof coat, and muddy/leaking shorts. Wash both in Techwash, then re-proof the shorts in TXDirect, right?

maccruiskeen

correct

techwash is really just liquid soap – cleans the garment without leaving a residue that would interfere with the water repellent. TX is a water repellent

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Also best to do a boil wash first to remove previous residue from the machine.

I also think it helps the waterproofing if you pause the wash half way through when the shorts will be submerged in the proofer/water for a hour or so. Then let it finish. That’s if your machine allows you to pause it.

andybrad

yup,

and save your cash next time and buy soap flakes or liquid soap as suggested.

tumble drying (or hot air drying) will help rejuvinate the dwr on something as well.

rossburton
    Free Member

Speaking of which I used to tumble my Surface hoodie periodically to restore that but now it’s shrunk and they’re not made anymore 🙁

ElShalimo

simonhuscroft – Member
    Also best to do a boil wash first to remove previous residue from the machine.

It might be obvious but do this with an empty load in the machine. Don’t do it to your delicate outdoors kit !!

retro83
    Free Member

Is the wash-in tx direct better than the spray on?

scotroutes

I find the wash-in stuff works better with a hand wash. As above, let it soak for a while and don’t over-rinse.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@retro: wash-in for shells, spray on for multi-layered with wicking interior fabric

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nikwax query’ is closed to new replies.