Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Nikon D90 autofocus question
  • Jolsa

Have it set up to do continuous shooting, however after locking the focus (pressing halfway) and recomposing, the camera is refocusing after the first shot of the burst.

Anyone know which setting I need to change so that the focus is locked for the entire burst?

donsimon
    Free Member

Manual focus?

ski
    Free Member

Have you tried setting the AE-L/AF-L button to focus, then holding it down while taking the shots?

Fiddly mind

duntstick
    Free Member

Auto focus then flip to manual on the body switch

Jolsa

Manual focus works of course, but I’m not quick enough with it for the job I have to shoot later!

Thanks Ski, think that works but I’m sure there’s an option so that it happens without having to hold it down, at least there is on my own inferior Pentax K10D…

Jolsa

duntstick – great workaround thanks 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Auto focus then flip to manual on the body

That’s what I meant. 😆

GrahamS

Are you on AF-S or AF-C?

I don’t think AF-S will attempt to refocus between burst shots.

molgrips
    Free Member

Aren’t there two continuous shooting modes? One including focusing and one not?

Jolsa

Yep, on AF-S.

GrahamS

Hmm that’s odd. I didn’t think it did that on AF-S but I have to admit I never really use burst mode.

Another option is to dive into the Custom Settings. There is an option that reassigns the AE/AF-Lock button to be AF-On. If you do that then it will only ever autofocus while the AE/AF-Lock button is held down.

duntstick
    Free Member

Easy way to get the option above;

Press info button twice and scroll to right

ski
    Free Member

One thing I would love to be able to do on the D90, is to do a 100% cropped preview automatically.

The AE-L/AF-L trick works, just tried it with a D90 here in the office 😉

ski
    Free Member

Another option is to dive into the Custom Settings. There is an option that reassigns the AE/AF-Lock button to be AF-On. If you do that then it will only ever autofocus while the AE/AF-Lock button is held down.

Just remeber to switch it back to normal again, if someone else uses the camera, otherwise the camera will not focus/fire!

Had me stummped two weeks ago at a clients 😳

bigyinn
    Free Member

Prefocus in manual?

Jolsa

Thanks for the help all, just used the flip to manual on the body trick – worked a treat, my CEO and Ed Miliband didn’t have a clue! 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Nikon D90 autofocus question’ is closed to new replies.