Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Nikon D3100 / 3200 and Canon 1100d owners
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

If you own one of the above camera’s, I’d be interested to know how long you have owned it and whether you’re happy with the camera and quality of pictures taken? Any other comments good or bad welcome before I make a decision and part with my hard worked Xmas bonus 🙂

Cougar

If I was buying an 1100D, I’d be buying a 550D instead.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought my daughter a D3100 as a graduation present last year and myself a D5100 this year after using her 3100 (mainly due to the better video). Not sure if I’d go for the 3100 now (unless it was a really good price) as the 3200 has been out long enough to spot any huge problems.

eruptron
    Free Member

I have got the 1100d no expert so went for the cheapest option. (I have got the 75-300mm lens as well from back in the day when I had an slr) I’m really chuffed with the camera its easy to use and takes some really nice pictures. Factor in that you get £30 cash back at the moment then I personally think it’s a bit of a bargain for a beginner like http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/canon/eos-1100d-digital-slr-in-black-with-18-55mm-dc-lens-80181/show.html

d45yth
    Free Member

I was going to say buy from an online only retailer rather than Jessops or the like…the above does seem quite cheap but bear in mind that the lens has no image stabilisation. IMHO you’d be better off with the IS lens instead.

EDIT: If you plan on doing any video you’d be better off with the Nikon over the Canon.
    Both the D3100 and 1100D can be had for less than £300 from Portus Digital, if you don’t mind buying an import that is (you get a warranty from them instead). The D3200 is £70-£80 more.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Dibbs – what issues did you find with the d3100 then?

d45yth – does a IS lens provide a significant benefit then?

Thanks.

localhero94
    Free Member

I bought the D3100 in June as a first DSLR. I’m really pleased with it so far and have achieved miles better pictures than I could on my compacts. It’s a steep learning curve once you leave the comfort of the auto settings but well worth it. I used the stock 18-55 kit lens for a while, then bought a 70-300mm lens as I was taking quite a few sports shots of my son and needed a telephoto. I’ve also picked up a 35mm prime. I’ll probably add a wide angle lens but I’ve no intention of upgrading the body for a few years – it’s only held back by my lack of skills at the moment. Having the HD video is a bonus too. Having said all that, a bit of me wishes I’d added a bit of money to my initial budget and got the d3200 (didn’t want to stretch that far at the time as I didn’t know that I would start getting into it so much).

squiff
    Free Member

We have the D3200, excellent camera with great functions/fictions, buy it

d45yth
    Free Member

OP – IS will make a differnce when hand-held shooting and will make a bit of differnce when you want to use a slower shutter speed in low-light. I wouldn’t want a lens without it unless it was always going to be used on a tripod all the time.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dibbs – what issues did you find with the d3100 then?

No real issues apart from the movable display screen makes it easier when shooting video (I though it was a bit of a gimmick initially until I found the viewfinder doesn’t work in video mode).
    I chose the 18-105 lens over my daughters 18-55 and I’ve been really pleased with the results.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have in body IS. I can take pictures at 300mm and 1/15s hand held, if I am sitting comfortably 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    If I was buying an 1100D, I’d be buying a 550D instead.

I have a 600D, and am mightily impressed. Only had it a few months, and was bought because I could use the old lenses from my beloved EOS1 (so old it’s got that film stuff in it!)

Picture quality is very good for me so far, apart from when using the built in flash obviously. Haven’t got round to trying it with a proper flash as yet.

A few samples for you, taken on the first day I ever tried it!

nickswolves
    Free Member

Hi all, thanks for the advice and feedback. I managed to find a D3100 vs. D3200 comparison on the What Digital Camera site so will have a good read through that and see if the features and advantages of the more expensive model are worth the extra outlay or not. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Nikon D3100 / 3200 and Canon 1100d owners’ is closed to new replies.