Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • nikon d300 for £750 or d200 for £450?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

ok my head is hurting. after much wrangling it appears the d300 i was going to buy from another forum wouldnt have a warranty that was valid for me. so i started looking at d200s which are significantly cheaper.

i want something that performs well at high ISO but im coming from a d40 so even the d200 should be a big step up. im not after a d90 (ok ok i know it has better high ISO performance than d200 but it just doesnt feel right in the hand and wont meter my old manual lenses) Obviously the price plays a part, is the d300 worth another £300?

[got some fast lenses btw]

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

well, I bought a D300 when I already had a D200 which was paid for, so I’d say yes 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

thats a pretty strong endorsement of the d300! now the 2nd question is am i mad to buy a 2nd hand camera with no warranty for £750

mogrim

Take a lens or two and a laptop along with you, shoot some pics and d/l them?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have a D300 and its ace. The D200 was a battery hungry thing from all I’ve read.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

The D200 is a great camera. Absolutley fantastic, but the ISO performance between the two is the main (and large) advantage of the D300.

In which case, for what you want, I’d say yes the D300 is worth the extra.

CHB

Or maybe a fuji s5pro if ISO is your need. Basically a D200 shell with a fuji sensor. Ideal for weddings and portraits, less good for action.

fontmoss
    Free Member

im still tempted to get the d200 as a stopgap until i get a d700 😀

CheesybeanZ

you will find an amazing difference between D40 and D200 – it would def be enough to keep you going before you can upgrade to D700

fontmoss
    Free Member

oh god, just spoken to folk who reckon ISO 640 on d200 is like ISO 1000 on the d40!

donsimon
    Free Member

Quick question… Why do you need high ISO? Is there another way to solve the problem?

fontmoss
    Free Member

most of the photos i take are in low light, bars indoors etc and i had thought of getting a flash but in most situations where i take photos its pretty intrusive (more so than just the machine gun noise from the shutter)

fontmoss
    Free Member

anyone using a s5 pro?

donsimon
    Free Member

OK, I was thinking more about investing in an f1.2 lens. Something that should last along time and looking at the B&H photo site isn’t too expensive.
    Then again I don’t know what kit you already have…

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Read through Thom Hogan’s reviews of both cameras.

user-removed
    Free Member

I use a D200 and a D300 at winter weddings and the D300 is always the weapon of choice. There’s really no comparison when it comes to low light, high ISO shooting – I was totally blown away when I first started using the D300 – there’s barely any noise up to around ISO 6400 and it’s not bad beyond that.

If you can stretch to an SB-900 (flash) too, then you’re sorted. Or a 2nd hand 600 or 800….

fontmoss
    Free Member

got 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 and 50-150 f2.8 (pick up the second 2 next week) so decent (not amazing) fast glass. ive decided to go for a s5 pro, its got better colour and high ISO performance than the d200 and is £500 new with warranty, so half the price of a d300. its got fat files and slow write speed, also slow auotfocus i think but for me its the best compromise for what i want to do. (flickr in my profile, or click on my name)

hopefully if can make some pocket money or feel i can justify then a d700 or new incarnation of full frame will find a home in my bag 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘nikon d300 for £750 or d200 for £450?’ is closed to new replies.