Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Night riding round Rutland Water?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I’m staying away this week with work and staying close to Rutland Water – worth taking my bike for a pootle round the lake on Mon and Tue night?

Any reason not to?

puddle-rider
    Free Member

No reason not to at all, don’t expect MTB nirvana though, pretty much all been sanitised in the pursuit of safety and family friendly cycling, must ride the peninsular though as this part is as off road as it gets.

velocipede
    Free Member

Nice one – I’ll give it a go! 😀

Pete-B
    Free Member

Wot puddle-rider said.

TooTall
    Free Member

Sanitised? You make it sound like there was something interesting there first!

Duffer
    Free Member

How much of a sheep-shit fan are you?

YoGrant
    Free Member

25 mile loop if you include the middle bit. Good for a blast at night.

If you want a bit more in that area head to fineshade wood over on the Corby/Stamford road.

nickjb
    Free Member

Last time we were over that way we rode Wakerley Great Wood. Quite a nice little trail if a bit muddy. I expect given the recent weather it might be unrideable, maybe a local can advise.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-riding-innear-rutland

MoreCashThanDash

Stopped at the café there on an audax ride today – the people riding round the reservoir were looking rather splattered and muddy but at least it would appear to be rideable, unlike all the bridleway signs I went past that seemed to be bogs or rivers when I had a sneaky look….

stumpy01

My mate lives nearby in Oakham, so we regularly ride there in the evenings as a training ride. It’s quite splattery at the moment, so I recommend mud guards if you’ve got them, particularly if you are doing the peninsula because it’s quite sheep poo-ey there at the mo.

I think it’s quite a good night time blast, because you can really push round the loop; the peninsula is quite undulating, so you can get up quite a sweat if really pushing it.

Are you familiar with the loop? If not, there are a few points where it’s not massively obvious which way to go. Might be worth finding a GPX file?
    I could probably send you something if you need it?

velocipede
    Free Member

stumpy01 – I have ridden there once last summer (in the daylight!) and did the full loop – any route info will be helpful for the night ride! 😀

orangefatlad
    Free Member

Fineshade and Wakerley is a bit of a mud bath, although the forestry have done a lot of work at wakerley to try and make an all weather route. Might not be the easiest of routes to follow as the signage isn’t great. If you do want to ride I could show you a route on Tuesday night. Gimme an email (in profile)if you do.

stumpy01

velocipede – my e-mail should be in my profile. I couldn’t find one in your profile. Drop me a message if you want some GPX/TCX files sending over?

Or if you’d prefer/don’t have a gps, drop me an e-mail and I can try to send you some pointers on the route for bits that are easy to miss…

Pete-B
    Free Member

Velocipede, gpx emailed.

velocipede
    Free Member

Thanks PeteB! 😀

Sandwich

Anglian Water has bylaws restricting access after dark in this part of the world. Some have been asked to leave when night riding around Alton Water. They’ve got to catch you in the act first though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Night riding round Rutland Water?’ is closed to new replies.