Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Night riding on the road
  • SaxonRider

I think I brought this up last year, but once again, it strikes me just how pleasant it is to ride on the road at night. I got back about an hour ago from a quick spin around Cardiff, and even though when I got back in I could not feel my fingers and toes, it was worth every minute.

The traffic is minimal, and what there is of it is much more cautious and less agressive around bikes. For an urban rider, there is nothing like it.

Anyway, night road riding gets the Saxon stamp of approval.

scotroutes

It’s lovely. I’ve done some really wonderful night rides. Roads are quiet, you’re much more visible, your senses seem more highly attuned.

SaxonRider

Funny enough, on Tuesday I went out and did my normal quickie including Rhiwbina Hill (North Cardiff), and then down Heol Fforest (a dark road that winds through Fforest Fawr where mountain bikers and doggers compete for the woods.

As soon as I started the descent on the road, it was clear that my ‘be seen’ road bike light was not enough to allow me to see, well… anything. Then, of course, the fact that the trees lining the road have been host to a number of tragic deaths, meant that I did the run with the hairs standing up on the back of my neck.

I’d do it again, though. Just with a brighter light. 🙂

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Yep – totally agree. Sometimes after my club’s mid-week MTB night rides, when the pub closes, I ride home on the road even though it’s an hour’s journey (20 miles). But there’s hardly any traffic at midnight, and like you say, cars don’t seem as aggressive as they’re either coming back from the pub, late shifts, or just cruising – and you can hear them coming. I often get a good run of green lights at night too – there is indeed something nice about urban road night riding, and I agree it feels safer. Obviously make sure you’ve got good reflective clothing and lights 😉

hairyscary

A fair few years ago on a night ride I didn’t spot a pot hole and hit it very hard whilst seated, this hurt a fair bit and caused a small cyst on my left testicle to swell considerably. A few days later a nurse was kind enough to jab a rather large needle into the cyst and drain it 😳 😯

I’d do it again, though, just with a smaller needle.

brooess
    Free Member

Waterloo Bridge is tricky at night – the view east is amazing* but you need to keep looking where you’re going

*although since 2008 it’s less awe-inspiring than it used to be… tinged with a hint of anger

molgrips
    Free Member

It gets on my wick after a winter’s worth of weeknight road riding whilst away at work…

Anyway – SaxonRider, get a decent all-in-one bar light, like the Lezyne Macro Drive 800XL but perhaps not that actual one, it’s a bit floody to be perfect for road riding really. But still great VFM.

wilburt
    Free Member

I love night riding, inspired by the Dunwich dynamo I did most of 2015s Gran Fondos at night.

I did have one or two moments though like finding myself 40 miles from home at 10pm and thinking wtf am I doing!!

But overall yep I agree its a excellwnt time to ride a bike.

petec
    Free Member

Funnily enough I went out Tuesday as well. Just a quick 30k; absolutely lovely. Very quiet, moon was up, deer and owls were about.

Shame the weather’s changed again, but next week looks okay

surfingobo
    Free Member

On Tuesday night I had a deer bounding along in front of me for a very long 10 seconds (OK so it was a fire Road but it was still awesome!)

wilburt
    Free Member

Off road at night is another joy.
    I used to do regular mid week night rides around a forest. When the track was flowing there was nothing like it and just having the light tunnel realy focuses you.

Me and a mate still talk about one evening we were really hammering along, pitch black and then being joined by this group of Deer you could just make out their outline but they were at our side for what seemed at the time like ages.

We’ve since had a few occasions of them running into us so are a bit more cautious but that first evening is one of my best cycling memories.

globalti
    Free Member

Been night mountain biking for years, all through halogens then HID and then LED lighting. Now using LEDs for road night riding, most Wednesday nights from about May through to November when we go out for a blast around the lanes. It’s damn good fun; a proper adventure.

FOG

Had a lovely ride on Tuesday on easy trails and quiet country roads with a group of mainly roadies. It feels really remote even though we weren’t that far from home. We were lucky to have a nearly full moon and a kamikaze badger!

Dickyboy

Deer, bloody deer no road sense at all, lovely to see not so great to be surprised by 😀

petec
    Free Member

it is coming up to the time of year where we can climb the ridgeway to the best pub in the world, have a few pints, then try not to fall off back into the village at 2am.

There’s always one that doesn’t bring lights.

Can’t wait

milky1980
    Free Member

Night time commutes regularly get extended to cross the barrage on a good night, so peaceful there without the dog walkers and kids 8)

Have just started getting back into road riding, should get a better bar light and start exploring! Go night riding on the MTB all the time, such tranquility and calm it’s addictive 🙂

faustus

I’m tired of it at the moment. I’d been going out a fair bit on weekday evenings on the road, but at the moment the quiet lanes/routes I prefer are really messy with washed out mud and hedge cuttings, and are never dry. My chain is always messy and complaining and the discs get gritty (all with full mudguards)

It’s not a patch on off-roading at night, which I always enjoy. So taking a break from it for a bit. It’s nice when it’s warmer and drier for me, or if i’m riding somewhere more exciting or more remote than Berks!

tenfoot

It’s not a patch on off-roading at night

This for me. I do it when the trails are too sloppy, but for me, I find it a bit boring unless I have someone to ride with – miles and miles of staring at the tarmac within my light beam.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Night riding on the road’ is closed to new replies.