Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Night Riding in the Morning?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone do this?

Occured to me that I could go for a ride at silly o’clock in the morning on Sunday and be back for a fry-up at the in-laws, and no danger of running out of batteries!

Am I mad or a genius?

rewski
    Free Member

nice idea, you might see dawn break.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Yup, v occassionally, espec as an extended commute to work. I do suffer with concrete duvet syndrome though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lovely time to ride.

Nap needed later though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Great if you can get yourself going that early in the morning. I’ve tried and felt like crap 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

My last ride (about 3 weeks ago) was an early morning special. No lights were required as by the time i’d finished faffing about with my front mech, it was 10 mins before sunrise.
    Great time to be out though!!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

It is a fantastic way to wake up. I do it sometimes before work and then come home to drop of the bike and get ready at normal wakeup time. Best done in the summer because of the earlier dawn and warmer temps but still excellent year round. Doing it before a day at work means you get into work feeling good about yourself and have a good day. That is unless you have bike issues and have to trudge 5 miles home at 5am.

peachos
    Free Member

Yeah did a reverse night ride last year and planning another again soon. Now is the best time to do it as during the summer you have to be up ridiculously early to actually do any riding in the dark. Sun up at the moment is around 7ish I think, so would aim to be riding by 430 and at the top of somewhere for proper day break. Last year we rode up & around Kinder Res and were descending Jacob’s Ladder in the golden sunrise. Excellent time to be on there with absolutely no-one around. One of the most memorable rides of the year. Done and in front of a big fry-up by 11am.

Wouldn’t want to do it too often mind you!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nowt better in bike riding that seeing the sun come up.

monksie
    Free Member

They’re called breakfast rides round here. We take a stove, a small frying pan, some barm cakes, bacon and a flask of coffee. Ride in to the Peak District, choose a spot, cook breakfast, eat and drink, watch the day start and ride home again or if it’s mid week, on to work.
    They’re ace (but only once a week at most).

D0NK

Only ever done so on a morning commute, been meaning to make more use of “dead” time, early mornings or late nights (8pm-2am that’s a whole 6 hours of riding time where work and family don’t normally need you around) but never really managed it.

peachos
    Free Member

monksie – i like your style…cooking breakfast on top of the hill as the sun rises. although would be shyte if it was cold n wet!

molgrips
    Free Member

Nowt better in bike riding that seeing the sun come up.

Depends.. so long as you aren’t feeling like living crap having got up too early.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Tell you what mol, I could make you some really nasty bitter superheated coffee, that’ll get you warmed up and ready to go if nothing else will 😉

Keva
    Free Member

Lovely time to ride, dark, dawn sunrise, sun !

Nap needed later though.

eh ?

Kev

Kuco

I’ve done this for road riding and a few times off road. Loverly empty quiet trails/roads. Though it can be hard getting your arse out of bed and out the front door in the middle of winter.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tell you what mol, I could make you some really nasty bitter superheated coffee, that’ll get you warmed up and ready to go if nothing else will

Get me going to the bathroom to wash my mouth out more like!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Most mornings, I start work at 6am, so I have an hour’s night ride to work. My commute goes through woods for a couple of miles and I’ve seen two badgers in the last six weeks, very cool.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve done it quite a bit but not this Autumn yet as I need to be on call at 6am at the moment

But when I get the time, there’s nothing better than getting up at 5 ish for a couple of hours blast before breakfast & work, makes you feel alive

I prefer the very early spring/summer months better though

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a job for a short while that was at the other end of my local trail network from my house. I still couldn’t ride off road to work though – it was always too late and I was always too tired for it.

Just not a morning person.

crazy-legs

My favourite lap at 24hr MTB races is the dawn one, I love that time of day.
    Early October means that sunrise coincides with my ride to work so I get scenes like this along the canal towpath:

I used to ride in the Lakes at silly o clock in the morning sometimes when I was off-shift – set off at 4am from mine, drive to Ambleside and do one of my favourite routes finishing on Loughrigg Terrace in the sunrise. No-one around, stunning scenery and breakfast at Wilf’s afterwards!

IdleJon

crazy-legs – Member
    My favourite lap at 24hr MTB races is the dawn one, I love that time of day.

+1.

I occasionally get up early to ride – especially at this time of year when early isn’t too early.

therealhoops
    Free Member

They’ll weird you out at first but I reckon they’re where it’s at. Here’s a couple from summer at about 5am. I didn’t even need lights after 4am.

thomthumb
    Free Member

flask of coffee and some pastries (may need to stock up the morning before) for the continental style.

takisawa2

Did a few sub 6am’s on Cannock Chase over the summer.
    Needs prep the night before though.
    Always fancied a dusk-dawn ride on my B’day (21st June).
    But never managed to get it together. It would have to be somewhere nicer than Cannock Chase though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Night Riding in the Morning?’ is closed to new replies.