Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • night riding
  • smallpaws
    Free Member

just got some lights and going to tackle my first night ride tonight, is there anything I need to know or any kit I need to take just in case??

boxelder

A backup headtorch
    Garlic and a crucifix.

creamegg
    Free Member

Only extras I take are some lights. Rest of kit is same as any day ride

trout
    Free Member

watch the Blair witch project before you go out .

bigad40
    Free Member

Ride your regular trail.
    Don’t go somewhere you’ve been once or twice before, you will get lost.
    Back up torch.
    Garlic.
    Crucifix.

bigbloke
    Free Member

silver bullets

montylikesbeer

Eyes in the back of your head.

Seriously it’s great fun, I have seen deer, badgers , rucks of foxes and (ahem) other nocturnal goings on.

Like above stick to the trails you know and enjoy

jedi

sattelite phone, flares, dynamite and a sub machine gun

oh and remember not to look back and see the thing that is chasing you and only feet away!

igm

Beer money / whisky

enfht
    Free Member

Blindfold, gaffer tape, rope, goose fat.

Just in case, like.

crispybacon
    Free Member

a sense of humour
    a spare light
    Garlick
    Crucifix
    prepare to have a massive adreneline rush 🙂
    Oh yeah & don’t go in the mad axemans woods ……..

mildred

Jeez, where’s everyone’s sense of adventure??

Spend the preceding 6 hours in total darkness to build up your visual purple
    Take a Tescos Cree torch without spare batteries
    Wear unsuitable clothing
    Leave your mobile phone at home
    Go off the beaten track down a deer trail
    Don’t have a rear light – it only helps those that chase you..!

And most of all, DO NOT tell anyone where you’re riding… This just ruins the adventure.!

Edit: oh yeah, garlic, crucifix & a sharpened stick (or stake to the anoraks amongst us).

smallpaws
    Free Member

cheers guys I think i will have to dig out the silver bullets etc..LOL

Cheezpleez

Wear something skimpy and plenty of lippy

br
    Free Member

Don’t go alone.

trevron73
    Free Member

I went 2 weeks ago and did not take my headtorch as back up,stoppped for a rest and look around,turned off the light and thought Damn its dark,then turned light back on 30 seconds later the light went off again and didnt come back on shit ?I was glad i was on a trail i ride every week ,but i still had a bit of poo in my lycra.TAKE A BACK UP LIGHT, and ride a trail you know well,
    OH and remember your bigger than most animals in the forrest(but there are more of them )

takisawa2

Decent rear light, in case you have to hit the roads to get back.
    Tesco do a little red LED that easily attaches to a helmet with a zip tie. Being high up they are quite effective.

Nothing better than a night ride when its a full moon & clear night. Switch off your ights & its amazing how your eyes adapt.

drofluf
    Free Member

Don’t let them worry you with all that, just remember that there’s nothing out there at night that’s not there in the day.

Just at night it’s awake and hungry

rOcKeTdOg

When in the deep woods stop and turn off all lights and listen as the forest comes alive, seriously exhilarating. Then you notice you pedal away faster than you thought possible, night rides rock!

elzorillo
    Free Member

Be tempted to switch the lights off on moon lit nights.

stufive
    Free Member

Take a friend and a head torch something to eat and drink..hoope its not misty and gloomy like it was at 0630 this morning when i came to work..certainly gets you moving quicker i can tell ya 😈

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

all of the above +100 and be prepared for the addictive rush that comes about from your first close encounter with wild animals in the woods in the dark(scary at first then strangley good fun once you relise that they mean you no harm)

smallpaws
    Free Member

Awesome I cant wait now role on the darkness!!!

shooterman

As many have said above, you will definitely ride faster than you ever thought possible!

elzorillo
    Free Member

As many have said above, you will definitely ride faster than you ever thought possible!

Especially when you stop for a p!ss and your ‘mates’ just continue riding, leaving you alone in the forest.. in the DARK!!

shortcut

Taking a friend is useful! And a wooden stake!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Stay off the Moor!

composite
    Free Member

If you need a map to get round the route, don’t do it in the dark.

garage-dweller

Make sure lights really are fully charged.
    Ride somewhere with a road bailout option.
    Take Buffy or Willow along for company.
    Select route to avoid / pass through local nocturnal mating areas according to personal preferences.
    Enjoy.

thorlz
    Free Member

“Take Buffy or Willow along for company”

mmmm Willow 😆

badllama
    Free Member

LOL some good stuff hear guys 😀

Are the powerful led lights effected by the mist/fog in the same way lamping torches are?
    Use to do a fair bit of lamping and on foggy nights the light just bounced back at you so you could see……..not a lot. 😯

Maybe the led’s are not quiet powerful to cause that effect we used to use anything between 400,000 and 1,000,000 candle power 8)

Be intresting to know?

belugabob
    Free Member

Especially when you stop for a p!ss and your ‘mates’ just continue riding, leaving you alone in the forest.. in the DARK!!

Or they leave you alone, in the dark, in MOGADOR!

Dancake
    Free Member

Swat up on your rules of dogging etiquette.

dantsw13

I ride in the dark all the time in a group. Did it solo and was crapping myself!!! Just remember – they ARE out to get you !!!

igrf
    Free Member

Don’t stick your helmet light on top of the helmet, One you look like a dork, Two you’ll lose it to low branches, wear it front and side universal soldier style, or like me have one on either side, main and back up, helmet light is the most important light.

Other than that enjoy, I’ve had some of my most fun rides, nightmare scenarios (careering downhill, rounding a bend and running into a sea of ‘eyes’ then getting trampled by sheep.

Having to pull the dog out of a snow covered lake just as my batteries failed, then realising I’m alone, no phone (always travel with iphone now) no lights and not entirely sure which was the quickest way out and to the pub, but saved by my back up light.

Nightriding is a total blast, took the new dog out for it’s first night ride last night, it got stuck in some mud, never a dull moment, nothing like a night ride to turn a drama into a mini crisis, I love it.

rOcKeTdOg

actually it will seem like you are going faster all the time , even tame trails in daylight seem much faster in the dark

sefton
    Free Member

its shit, cold wet and dark! scary as hell if on your own

yunki
    Free Member

stay off the moors

stick to the path

turinn
    Free Member

I am looking for LED lights. Can you provide that.

DrP

You also need a bucket full of reason/explanations to explain to your OH why you’re riding in the dead of night, on your won, miles away from civilisation……

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘night riding’ is closed to new replies.