Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Night riding
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

What do you use and where do you use it?

I’ll be using an Exposure Maxx (when it’s posted!) and a Petzl Myo RXP on the noggin. This’ll be around Stanmer and the South Downs.

RealMan
    Free Member

Exposure joystick. Really don’t get handlebar lights that much, half the time they’re pointing in the wrong direction. Much prefer a nice helmet light that’s always shining where I’m looking. Most of the riding is done around portsmouth area, around the coast and such. Get some night riding in now and then at exeter too.

DezB
    Free Member

6 Troutlights. 2 on my head, 4 on the bars. Otherwise I’ll be in shadow of other riders, won’t I?

(seriously – Hope Vision2 on bars, L&M Stella on helmet)

888trojan888
    Free Member

DX 900 lumen light on the lid and a cateye triple shot on the bars. Ride in the pennines and I need plenty light to see the big rocks 🙂

montylikesbeer

troutie lumen liberator

ahwiles
    Free Member

Really don’t get handlebar lights that much, half the time they’re pointing in the wrong direction. Much prefer a nice helmet light that’s always shining where I’m looking…

with a light on your handlebars, you get shadows behind all the little lumps and bumps, you get an increased sense of depth.

or at least i do, with my rubbish eyesight…

and a little light* on my head pointing where i’m looking.

(*not so bright that it fills in the shadows cast by my bar light)

i find the bar/head combo better than just one really big bright light.

RealMan
    Free Member

with a light on your handlebars, you get shadows behind all the little lumps and bumps, you get an increased sense of depth.

Really?

rewski
    Free Member

Lupine Tesla 5 – South/North Downs, Surrey Hills

stumpy01

with a light on your handlebars, you get shadows behind all the little lumps and bumps, you get an increased sense of depth

+1.
    Not sure if ‘depth’ is the right word, but with just a helmet light everything goes all flat and I really struggle to read what’s coming up.
    With a bar/helmet combination, you get more contrast (or something) and I can make better sense of the terrain as there is more shadow detail. The helmet light helps to look ahead and avoid those ‘can’t see round the corner’ moments, while the bar mount helps see what lumps/bumps are coming up.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Surely the answer is both!

It depends on how wiggly your trails are too. For comfort it makes sense to put the heavier one on your bars, with a wide beam it shouldn’t be too bothered by steering. But yes, a helmet light will always be pointing at the right area.

ahwiles
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    “with a light on your handlebars, you get shadows behind all the little lumps and bumps, you get an increased sense of depth.”

Really?

er, yes. 🙂

maybe ‘depth’ is the wrong word, Stumpy said it better than i can, maybe ‘texture’ is a better word…?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yea, although I find my bar light makes even small jumps look like huge doubles as you approach them!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Hope Vision 4 on the bars. Too many low branches in the woods for one on the noggin. Shame though, I can see the advantages just cant afford the repair costs.

z1ppy

ahwhiles +1, as much as I love my helmet light, it makes everything look flat.

Oh Trout Mini & Smudge XML for me same as before

BoardinBob

Airbike SL2 on the bars

Magicshin on my head

Spare Magicshine in my camelbak in case of emergencies

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Really don’t get handlebar lights that much, half the time they’re pointing in the wrong direction

Try riding in fog/snow/dust-cloud with just a helmet light…

Oh, Hope Vision2 on the bars, DX torch on me helmet.
    Same places I always ride. Just in the dark.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Four4th’s jobbie on the handlebars & joystick on the helmet, I really find the two lights make a difference.

The bar light is wide beam, the joystick more focused.

IdleJon

ahwiles – Member

RealMan – Member
    “with a light on your handlebars, you get shadows behind all the little lumps and bumps, you get an increased sense of depth.”

Really?

er, yes.

maybe ‘depth’ is the wrong word, Stumpy said it better than i can, maybe ‘texture’ is a better word…?

I’d also add that ride in heavy rain (or fog or snow) with a helmet light and all you get is glare into your eyes from the weather.

Edit : ^^^ someone got there while I was working!

elaineanne
    Free Member

herman shake : i used to have a petzl myo wen i first started nite riding…. i just found it wasnt bright enuff….brilliant underground for caving tho !
    since then ive been using Hope vision 2 on my helmet…i prefire it on the helmet to the handlebars cos you cam pan round and see alot whats coming ahead in the distance… i have a back up light to go on the handlebars tho just incase…..you never no… 😉

madhouse

Lumicycle 20w flood / 12w spot combo – Swinley forest.

wwaswas

Lupine Wilma on the bars, Lupine Piko on my hat.

find it difficult to ride as fast with just one of them – bars gives a texture to what you see so you can judge depth more and helmet points where you are looking.

south downs and associated wooded singletrack.

pedlad

Trout LL – bars
    Fenix torch – helmet

Agree both is best. Went riding recently without head torch and really missed it, even though it’s a bit underpowered compared to the LL!

hoojum
    Free Member

Having tried loads of DX torches (because I’m cheap) I’ve settled for a P7 on the bars and a tiny XML torch on my bonce. I cant recommend the 350 lumen torch enough, i’ts bright, gives a great beam pattern and works a treat.

I’m considering wasting more money on the DX 4 XPG jobby though.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I use both an Exposure Six Pack on my bars &
    an Exposure Diablo Mk 2 on my head

I prefer a bright light on the bars as, when it’s misty, rainy, cloudy or just raining, a bright head torch reflects off the moisture in the air and can reduce visibility, ref. fog lights in cars as an example of why a dipped light low down is good. In winter, when I do most my night riding, it’s often like this. I also don’t want a big weight on my head for hours.

However, given above, here’s a good illustration of why a head torch is a good idea going around corners, look where I’m looking (and about to try and ride) and look where the bars are pointing!

grtdkad

Troute Liberator 3 on the bars and a Cateye DoubleShot Pro on my head.
    Malvern Hills.

Coleman
    Free Member

Twin cans on the bars……. sod all on the lid.

With Darth Vader Light Sabre grips!

lowey

Troutie Liberator. More light than I’ll ever need. West pennine moors and the surrounds.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

DX Bastid, helmet mounted, good for the forest or the hills.

bigG
    Free Member

Hope twin LED on the bars, and another on the helmet, gives me a light spread like this…

More than enough in my opinion for a spin in the local woods, up Dumyat, Carron Valley, or scaring car drivers on my commute home from Glasgow.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Troutlight liberator for the dark bits, new 1200 dx light on low for the urban bits and some small ‘flashers’. Mainly on my commute.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Night riding’ is closed to new replies.