Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Night rides near Alton Hampshire
  • noodle24
    Free Member

I have recently moved to Alton in Hampshire and although have friends in Surrey and surrounding areas just wondered if there are any people on here that do rides in the Alton area through the winter, would be good to learn some local routes and meet some like minded mountain bikers.

mattstreet

Hi noodle24

Welcome to the area – live up in Basingstoke myself. Although I’ve been off the bike for a while – can’t help on night rides – sorry…

There’s actually some pretty good riding in the area – from Alton you’re in easy distance of Chawton Park Woods (up at Four Marks), where there’s some nice singletrack (just explore), and there’s plenty of bridleway/byways to create some nice routes. Does get quite boggy in the winter though, but Swinley’s nearby…

I recommend you get hold of the Rough Ride Guide to the South East, if you’ve not already got it – there’s a handful of good routes in there.

m0rk
    Free Member

There’s a few of us that go out at 7pm on Friday’s at QECP which isn’t too far from you.

Start off at the trails built there & then head off to wherever it takes us

noodle24
    Free Member

Hi Mattstreet,
    Thanks for the reply, I am very lucky as I live in Chawton so run and cycle in the woods a fair bit and am learning the routes and have been venturing further afield, though have found some boggy bridleways as you say, I am pretty lucky have been riding Swinley etc for years, was just hoping there might be a few locals that ride in the week to save me having to drive to meets all the time,

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Hi Noodle,

I live in Froyle, the other side of Alton. I normally ride 1-2 evenings a week starting at 8 with a few others from around the Alton area. Rides are at a friendly social pace. Normally 12-17 miles in about 2 – 2 1/2 Hours depending on who’s out and trail conditions.
    Few routes here – website is very much a work in progress, but does have a few around the Alton area.

You are welcome to come along and try a new route or two out, and a beer or two after.

PS. Think I know the boggy bridleway you mean near Chawton 🙂

martin at mcriley co uk

charliedontsurf

Hello Alton…. I grew up in Alton, rode clunkers up the woods since 1977.

So assuming nothing has changed in 20 years. Ackender woods near kings road, leading into chalton park woods has good singletrack.

Get an os map and explore.

Frensham pond area is good.

I think you still have a bike shop near the hop poles pub. Ask In There if there are clubs, rides etc

faint
    Free Member

you’ve picked the right time of year to start slogging in the mud.
    Black Wood, other side of Micheldever Wood, has a circuit, a search on the forum should bring up a thread on it.
    And also
    <http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling.htm&gt;

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Just down the road from you in Liss, we ride from there out over the ranges towards Liphook, Haslemere, Punchbowl, Midhurst its sandier soil out those ways so holds up better in winter. Riding tonight from Milford if your interested.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

{sorry thread hijack} Hi Scott, where you riding tonight? Not been out on a night ride for a long time!

Greg.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Greg

Either Milford-Punchbowl or Milford-Tilford-Frensham but not sure exactly yet, starting/meeting at 7.30 at the car park opposite the coop, come out and join us if you like.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Hi Noodle,

I live in Alton and go out every Tuesday night with a couple of mates in the local woods. Usually get another in either at the weekends or other evening over there as well.
    I would be more than happy to show you a few loops we have up there.

The local woods in Alton are small but have loads of little runs criss crossing the valley.

email in profile

parkesie
    Free Member

Im not a huge distance away and ride aldershot pirbright ash and other areas.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Scott, thanks but I’ll give it a miss as I’m not sure what state my lights are in. May be another time? Greg

Hi Noodle,

I ride with Mr J Wachowchow, there’s some lovely little trails around. Don’t worry about the mud – we’ve got loads of slippy roots too. Get in touch and join us for a ride.

Cheers

noodle24
    Free Member

Thanks to you all for your replies, have popped you some emails with contact details so will get my lights charged up and look forward to seeing you out there soon..
    Greg, I think you will know me from rides with the THTrolls, I used to go out with Rich Northcott ( Pogo) am sure we will recognise each other..from rides we have both been on. Will join the Godalming forum if thats ok.. Nita

TimCotic
    Free Member

New Forest Mountain Bike Club regularly ride from Winchester on a Tuesday night if that’s any good for you?
    Check out newforce.org.uk (general forum) for Korma rides. 10 riders would be a busy night but 4 or 5 would be more usual in the winter.

noodle24
    Free Member

Hi Tim, Winchester is OK for sure and have never covered that area off road so would be good to ride some new trails, will check the forum, looks like have have lots locally to keep me busy and fit through the winter, will check the forum.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Hi Nita, yes I do remember you! Would be good to have to join the Godalming club as it’s been a bit quite lately. Hope to see you on a ride sometime soon.

Greg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Night rides near Alton Hampshire’ is closed to new replies.