Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Night Rides are…
  • devs
    Free Member

Ha! I'll be meeting you tomorrow morning then bedmaker! Don't trash all the trails tonight.

greasystain
    Free Member

Oh just remembered last night after stripping all my muddy kit off inside the back door (to avert a number 9) I remembered that I'd left my bike chain all wet out on in the garden.

Running across my frosty garden naked in the dark was a new experience for me.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Eat and drink but can't be bothered showering before you go to bed. Wash your face and crawl into bed in the dark.

Guilty!!

Wash pits and foof in the morning, ensure mud spattered shins not on display in a skirt and hope no one at work notices mud in my hair.
    I'm the official forum skank!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grtdkad

''Wash pits and foof in the morning'' … … … 😯

alpinegirl
    Free Member

ensure mud spattered shins not on display in a skirt

My old work colleagues cottoned onto this and used to pull my trouser legs up to check!

grtdkad

I managed to talk one of my local drinking partners into his first night ride last Sunday…he's online buying new kit now as a result – loved it bigtime!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wash pits and foof in the morning, ensure mud spattered shins not on display in a skirt and hope no one at work notices mud in my hair.

I only shower after a ride if I have company, otherwise I leave it till Monday (or Thursday) :o)

grtdkad

"I only shower after a ride if I have company"…nope, barely allowed back in the house after a night ride until I get a shower – Mrs D tells me I smell like a dead horse… 😥

BadlyWiredDog

Grit in your ears.

robgarrioch

…a useful way to confuse your body when it's used to just veg-ing after work – had this bloody cold since my first go last Wednesday!

robgarrioch

😳

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Tinsy, bring it on!!

I've got a nice hand-held 5,000,000 candlepower monster and enough brown tape to stick it on my forks!! 😆

Bregante

#21. Convincing yourself that that "little off" you had doesn't need hospital attention – then waking up the next day in the worst pain ever – followed by a further nagging from spouse/life partner/significant other telling you that you "can't go to work in that state" and "it serves you right" . This is followed by a phone call to NHS Direct with the following question:

"Yes hello, I was just wondering, should my {insert name of relevant body part here}be"
    a. "this shape?"
    b. "that colour"
    c. "this size?"
    d. "be able to bend in that direction?"
    e. "make me cry when I touch it?"

This is followed by more nagging from other half,a trip to A&E, several weeks off work – more nagging about how stupid you were to go out riding "in the dark" in the first place" and "how you've ruined Christmas because she has to drive everwhere now" -followed by (admittedly brief)doubts about whether it was all worth it. Then more weeks sat at home reading internet forums about how good night riding is and wishing you'd managed to get more than two of the bleeders in before all of the above happened!!!!?!

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Bregante, is this a summary of some 'lights failed on a DH' incident that you had?

BTW, your wife and mine must be twin sisters!

888trojan888
    Free Member

AND ALWAYS FINDING THE BADGER SET THATS NEVER THERE IN THE DAY TIME

Bregante

Bregante, is this a summary of some 'lights failed on a DH' incident that you had?

BTW, your wife and mine must be twin sisters!

nope. more like "skills failed on a DH" incident – just happened to be at night. Broken arm, wrist, no skin left on left leg etc etc etc.

First thing I'm gonna do when the quacks give me the all clear is book meself on one of them "stop crashing" courses that Great Rock does. I was tempted to go for the weekender with Nigel Page but not sure I'll be fit by then 😕

Bregante

and I'm pretty damn sure my wife couldn't have a twin 😯

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Samuri said

"2. 15 miles riding around on open moorland convinced you're being followed by a madman, years off your life."

In the woods around bristol I regularly have to ride away from Vampires and werewolves! Not the nice twilight ones…. I am talking proper scary buggers.

Although never actually caught sight of one!

In answer to the opening question though………. FAB-U-LOUS gotta love the night ride. 😀

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Oh look its stopped raining..better charge the lights, erm Darling!

me1onhead
    Free Member

Gotta get me some lights after reading this thread! 😯

enfht
    Free Member

Getting chased by Park Rangers thinking you're on a nicked motorbike/scooter! (has happened twice)

And getting followed by an inquisitive twooting owl

And I like the excited feeling you get when you spot another night ninja's light in the distance and you try and loose 'em!

The abundance of wildlife at night always makes me feel really privilaged.

I like being in the middle of nowhere surrounded by darkness and no sound except for the monster you KNOW is behind you

udnylad
    Free Member

brillant cos it gets me away from "I'a a celb…" 🙄

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

meeting five heavily armed trees/members of the paras on the trail then having a surreal conversation with them about mountain bikes VERY weird 😀

Vortexracing

oh and I forgot #22

Going back on particular techy, steep, rocky muddy bit of trail a few rides later in the daylight and openly admitting 'how the hell did I ride that?'

Never fails to amaze me the stupid things that night riding has you drawn into. It must be the fact that you cannot see the full magnitude of what you are riding or the consequenses of what could happen if it all went wrong.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It must be the fact that you cannot see the full magnitude of what you are riding or the consequenses of what could happen if it all went wrong.

yeah! We used not to do very technical routes in the dark as we thought it would be toe dangerous, but then one evening we got lost in Grizeale and had to do Rock & Roll (DH to Nibthwiate) in the dark without lights (it was mid August), and found it was easier than riding it in daylight as you couldn't see the scary bits :o)

Vortexracing

The same thought crossed my mind down the Ice cream run in Rivvy at night.

It did seem easier in the dark. No need to look for a line, because you can't see one, just ride it and hold on!

Bregante

I can never see "a line" down the ice cream run!!!!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Ooh, I've just thought.
    Does anyone know what the Blue Pig is like in darkness? I can imagine it'd be pretty entertaining. That is going to be playing on my mind for the next 2 weeks until I get home and ride the damn thing.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Does anyone else find that kinda sexy?…….Just me then…..I'll get my coat 😳

jojoA1
    Free Member

alpine girl – Member

ensure mud spattered shins not on display in a skirt

My old work colleagues cottoned onto this and used to pull my trouser legs up to check!

Yay! we have a skanky bike chick club starting 🙂

Karinofnine

I call it "magic bed" – I get in all muddy and, hey presto, in the morning my legs are pretty clean!

dandan
    Free Member

WOW. I need to get myself a light, have never night rode but boy does it sound good! excellent posts lads haha

Fellstone
    Free Member

Chucky

just blame the dog !

Vortexracing

Archie didn't come with us!

Besides he gets better thought of than i do in our house.

I think know i'm bottom of the pecking order. (somewhere below the fish 😯 )

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Great threasd! I love night riding.Last night I arrived home late after one pint too many. Didn't bother cleaning my bike,or myself. Not good.

radoggair
    Free Member

back from night ride, 3 hours of fun with 'duggie style'. Night riding is immense, trails look so different. TBH i commute either one way or two ways ( depending on shift times) every day so road riding in the dark is not new. have to agree with the feeling of stillness and peacefulness around you at 1am is priceless.

Stainypants

inspired by this thread went out for my first solo night ride tonight, made it interesting going out on my cyclocross loved it. Now drinking black sheep and waiting for some food to arrive.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Tuesday nights Keswick Mountain bike ride,Horizontal snow on Dodd wood,Very difficult to see anything! freezing feet and hands but loved every minute of it!!

Picture thanks to Max Cousins,(Happy Birthday)! 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

No 9 is SO TRUE! But she's getting used to it now.

My father in law used to be a rally driver and loved night rallies which he felt were a bigger buzz and also (for him) safer – maybe it's something similar. He could never sleep after one though – all hyped up.

One thing I find funny though is that really simple stuff can trip me up. EG at the bottom of a steep bit I stop to get my breath and reflect on how brilliant it was – but because there's no perphiral vision I didnt realise there was a hole right there where I wanted to put my foot. Duh!

I was in Glentress tonight and saw lots of folk including a small group with a young chap (maybe 7 ish) heading up toward Spooky Wood (which still has lots of ice and frozen snow). Hats off young man! If he can do it…..

lowey

Chucky… you took the words from me. When I ride the ICR at night I always find it to be faster and more fun.

Night Riding is ACE for many many reasons. The feeling of remoteness, of being the only people on the planet, the views, the stars (watched a satellite shoot over Rivi pike the other week) and the warm welcoming door of the pub!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Night Rides are…’ is closed to new replies.