Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Night out in That London's famous London
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Mrs-g’s Mum has just offered to look after baby-g overnight tonight so I am at a loose end. I’m working in Canary Wharf and fancy heading into town with the Mrs but have no idea what to do.

What can I do thats a little different/interesting. Or failing that are there any good bars that are worth a look.

I will not be taking her up the oxo tower!!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What can I do thats a little different/interesting.

Wallace Collection is ace.

Or failing that are there any good bars that are worth a look.

Too many to choose from! What sort of thing do you want? Real ale (Cask, SW1), great views (If it’s sunny, try any bar in the City!), dingy wine bar (Gordon’s, Embankment. Epic spot), I could go on…!

steve-g
    Free Member

In terms of bars I want something that will not completely empty my wallet, and maybe serves good food, weather is not looking too hot at the moment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What sort of food do you like, then?

French? Mon Plaisir, Covent Garden. Indian ? Too many too choose from! Mexican? La Perla, also CG. Turkish? Kazan, SW1. Again, I could go on….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood, then Brick Lane for a curry?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yeah jump on the tube to Waterloo and have a few and a meal at the Anchor and Hope in The Cut.

Then you could have a nice walk up to the Southbank and so on weather allowing or head two hundred yards down the road to Cubana for good Mohitos.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You could go skateboarding on the South Bank

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Are you staying near Canary Wharf? Then how about, right, get the Riverbus into town, to Tower of London, Tat Modern is open quite late I think, Westminster, London Eye. TBH too many nice pubs to choose from really. Best off just wandering in off the street if you like the look of a place. You could go London Eye, then wander along south bank, couple of pubs along the way, then back over Tower Bridge (lovely at night), Riverbus back to CW. RB is less than a fiver from centre of town with an Oyster card.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

River from CW to the Eye, nice idea, FredBraBoy! 🙂

Westminster pubs? Well, apart from Cask, as already mentioned, the Marquis on Warwick Way is very nice (Decent cheapish food too). Or, over the bridge from Tate Modern up to St Pauls area (Shaw’s would be my pub choice there).

Sooo much choice!

steve-g
    Free Member

We live out in zone 4 south east london, but having a baby we dont get out much. Canary Wharf and Greenwich we know, but anything more central my knowledge is limited to the touristy stuff and that is what I am trying to steer clear of.

Riverbus sounds like a good idea, only ever been over to the O2 on that, I guess the journey to the city would be much more scenic.

corroded
    Free Member

The Old Brewery, a Meantime microbrewery, is just across the river in the Old Royal Naval College – great beer, good food, nice setting. Head there for a drink and a bite to eat then take the boat into the centre.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But then, right, you could go into Greenwich; lots of nice places to eat and drink there. I was in the Union on Royal Hill with Bullheart on Tuesday night. Very nice little pub, serving some of me and Flashy’s favourite London-brewed beer. Weather permitting, the view from the Royal Observatory is fantastic. Best place to see a London sunset. Then you’ve also got the Lord Trafalgar, the Cutty Sark, and a pub/restaurant in the old Naval Hospital by the Naval College, which is another Meantime pub like the Union, but with a microbrewery on site.

If you want ‘efnik’ food, then you’re best off going where efnik people live I’d say. Places that tend to be a bit ‘rough’. Central London restaurants, speshly in the West End, are often way overpriced, and ime, you won’t get better food there really. Having said that, there’s some great cafes and bars around Old Compton st/Chinatown area. Soho is good for all that.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh look corroded knows what I’m talking about! 😉

SE London? You can get the Riverbus in from Woolwich now. That’s quite a nice journey; past the flood barrier, Dome, Greenwich and CW. Speshly lovely at sunset, that journey. You can have a (way overpriced) drink on board, too.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The Marquis of Cornwallis in Bloomsbury is a great pub and they do food until 22:30.

Great beers and a friendly vibe.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Night out in That London's famous London’ is closed to new replies.