Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Nigel Slater's simple suppers
  • DrP

Is it just me, or is he really annoying?
    I’m sure his food is yummy, but it seems he spends all day making a bowl of soup, then gets his jollies off when eating it…?!

That is all…

DrP

anagallis_arvensis

I cant watch him, creepy ****, that and the fact he keeps a cameraman locked in his fridge. The way he tears up herbs and mixes things just makes me want to scream

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

His books have been excellent – most of my “go-to” recipes (the kind of ones you just know off by heart) have been adapted from his. However, I don’t think he comes across well on TV – I find him incredibly annoying too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrP

Creepy-that’s it. Like he’s got a little secret about where the meat comes from or something…!

DrP

teasel
    Free Member

Definitely bloody annoying. Take last week’s installment – he’s sat outside doing a spot of cooking and (I’ll try and make this verbatim) comes out with:-

“The one ingredient that I find is essential to outdoor cooking is (and at this point, as he was on a beach, I thought he was going to come out with sand or some such crap, but no) fresh air.”

Fresh air!?

****!

highclimber
    Free Member

he’s no Nigella

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Aren’t they all pretty bloody annoying though? Patronising supercilious egotistical knobs, most of them I reckon.

Gordon Ramsey; what a turd of a man. Sells factory produced microwaved food as ‘freshly cooked’ in his restaurants, and his ‘gimmick’ is to be extremely rude to everyone who has the misfortune to work for him. Gordon; if you spoke to me like that mate, you’d get filleted and a sharp thing stabbed in yer eye.

Heston Poncenthal; Jeeze stop mucking about mate. It’s a beefburger ffs; don’t try pretending it’s anything else. Money for old rope dressed up in some ‘science’ bollocks. Pretentious poncitude; I’d rather eat at Heston Services.

Nigella; look love, just cook the flipping thing, don’t wave it around in a ‘suggestive manner’ anyway you’re Nigel Lawson’s daughter so there.

Trouble is, the sensible ones what just cook stuff don’t make ‘good telly’, so we don’t get to see them as much.

It’s food; if I want ‘entertaining’, I’ll watch Ecks-Faktor or Celebrity Cum Dancing or Snooker or something. Don’t muck about with food please.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The only bit worse than the cooking is when he goes to the allotment to interact with other people. He’s clearly is very uncomfortable around humans.

His books are great though.

Steelsreal

his cupboard appears to back onto an entire waitrose store or something ..and why is everything wrapped in greaseproof paper?

allthepies
    Free Member

I bet he’s a Guardian reader too.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtS2Ikk7A9I[/video]

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Is it a bloke? I thought she was a really ugly lesbian

ART

Great cook books, lots of my ‘go to’ cooking as well, but god yes, shoulda really, really kept the ego in check and stayed off the telly. Saw his prog for the first time last week and swore never again..
    edit… and yes while I’m on it, who really, who, has such neat storage containers, wrappings etc… arghh newspaper supplement perfect living, it just ain’t the real world..

TheFlyingOx

Creepy-that’s it. Like he’s got a little secret about where the meat comes from or something…!

DrP

He does…

trailmonkey

annoying, creepy, pretentious twunt.

has a gift for ruining good ingredients with nonsense flavourings and lets be honest, throw that much butter, cream, cheese, sugar or honey at anything and it will taste good. jesus did anyone clock how many calories would have been in that plum pudding he did last night ? ridiculous.

i’ve followed a couple of his recipes and they were both garbage.

giorgio loccatelli is the only tv chef i’ve got any time for. no bullshit just good ingredients simply cooked.

emsz
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I never trust his recipes they always seems to go wrong for me.

excellent ranting elf my love 😀

samcamsdad

Well me and the wife quite like a bit of nigel!(not gay or owt) he has a calming way about him that can instantly chill you out!
    Some of the stuff he cooks up is a little strange, but he’s great on telly.
    And he looks like my brother in laws dad!

chakaping
    Free Member

Insufferable ponce. Can’t stand him.

Glad to see so many others agree! You lot are alright sometimes you know.

Klunk
    Free Member

a pompous arse, can’t stand the man. didn’t think the suppers were particularly simple either.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

excellent ranting elf my love

You like that one innt? 😀

No but it’s got to be said though…

tops5
    Free Member

This post made my day – could never put my finger on why I can’t stand the guy. I concur with all of the above!

tron
    Free Member

Hate him. Smugger than Huge Fern Whitstable, but without the saving grace of having grown everything on the plate.

downshep

Aye, that plum pudding looked like a coronary experience. “What this now needs is some double cream” Sure it does mate. Why is he so thin?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tapeworms. 😐

bigyinn
    Free Member

It’s the way he suggests just using scraps and leftovers from the fridge. Stuff like venison, parmesan, truffles FFS 🙄

colournoise

To**er.

That is all.

slainte 👿 rob

Klunk
    Free Member

It’s the way he suggests just using scraps and leftovers from the fridge. Stuff like venison, parmesan, truffles FFS

with the licence fee freeze the BBCs new remit is to only provide a service to those living within 3 miles of TV center and therefore in easy reach of an all night Kensington deli.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i think he’s cool

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s the way he suggests just using scraps and leftovers from the fridge. Stuff like venison, parmesan, truffles FFS

Well, a quick rummage reveals some fungus, gamey meat and pongy cheese in my fridge too! 🙂

There’s a jar of something furry I don’t even dare touch it! I have absolutely no idea what it could be. 😳

tazzymtb

There’s a jar of something furry

put it in the garden, it it grows into flowers then it’s hamster Jam

as that’s were Tulips come from

I’ll get me coat

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

You complete idiot.

aP
    Free Member

He grew up in the next road to me and went to the same junior school – not that that means much, but his book Appetite has some ace recipes.

DrP

Good to see that similar views are held!

I think I get annoyed because in a way, I’d like to have a fridge stocked like his, and spend 2 hours making a sandwich, bimbling into the garden for a single sprig of rosemary to put on top because “ooh, it’s screaming out for just a little something else”…but instead it’s ham and cheese made in 3 minutes, wrapped in cling film…..

Plus he IS really creepy!

DrP

johnners
    Free Member

I think his books are great. Agree about the improbable “leftovers” though.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

We rate the books here at Steel Towers, though he does tend to be a bit heavy on the cream & butter at times.
    The smoked mackerel, bacon & potato salad from a few weeks ago on Simple Suppers has already established itself as a family favorite – just reduce the olive oil in the dressing to 4 1/2 tbsps. Had the lamb shanks with anchovies tonight – another hit.
    Admittedly, his remark about going down the woods in this weeks episode was overtly camp. Then again Nigella has built a career on innuendo . . .

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Nigel Slater's simple suppers’ is closed to new replies.