Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nigel Owens – what a legend
  • wallop

He’s on Desert Island Discs right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38871025 From this morning.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at a sporting dinner he spoke at a few months ago – it was a really wonderful evening and he even sang at the end! His little anecdote about the tantrums of Austin Healey was a thing to behold 😆

frankconway

Yes, he’s great.
    Love his personality and have much respect for his honesty in the way he has talked about being gay and coming out.

poolman
    Free Member

I ll get the podcast as only caught the last 5 mins. Shame you only get 1 min of each song, i have q a backlog of desert island disks to catch up on, david beckham last week.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/MZlFVOp4faI[/video]

Funny, humble, lovely guy. Good ref, too.

Pigface
    Free Member

My favourite 😆

[video]https://youtu.be/8WMOHm01oKc[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wrong thread, sorry.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

He ref’d my sons team in a half knockabout at a match, a few weeks ago.

The amount of respect the boys (and everyone else there) had for him was obvious.

Speaking as a football fan, what a difference.

gobuchul
    Free Member

He came across as a really sound bloke. TBH not being much of a rugby fan I had never heard of him.

david beckham last week.

Don’t bother. Dull and a lot of dull music obviously chosen by his publicist. like a footballing Call Me Dave.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Top bloke,top ref.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I haven’t had a chance to listen but have read the BBC piece.

Outstanding person.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bump.

On R4 again now.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

He’s a good referee, I almost enjoy watching him ref as much as I do watching the game!
    I think he could sort football (respect) out as well given the chance.

DezB
    Free Member

He’s a good chap. Makes games more enjoyable when he refs.

spawnofyorkshire

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpxEOQ0bVo[/video]

“Christopher”

Nigel Owens is the benchmark on how to control a game without being officious. He’s technically very good as well and looks to keep the game flowing, the games he’s in charge of aren’t often stop/start affairs.
    He also seems like such a genuinely nice bloke

DezB
    Free Member

“Christopher”

Is that England v France 2015? I watched that while off sick this week, what a great game. He kept having to stop Robshaw questioning him. The only bit I didn’t like was when Lawes hit the French 10 HARD and Nigel calls “Timing OK!” then goes back to the incident cos the TMO says. But hey, we all make mistakes. I’m sure that was one he replayed over in his head in bed that night… (other refs do that too, don’t they?? 😀 )

badnewz
    Free Member

Great guy. Agree, rugby is light years ahead of football when it comes to tolerance. His story parallels Gareth Thomas.
    I remember when someone told me our youth rugby coach was gay. Hard as nails Irish bloke who’d dislocated both knees numerous times, yet still played…saying that this was many years ago and we were told to keep it quiet, whereas now I’m hoping it wouldn’t be an issue at all. I think he had some problems with drink maybe because he felt he had to keep it quiet.

fatmax

Nigel Owens is the benchmark on how to control a game without being officious. He’s technically very good as well and looks to keep the game flowing, the games he’s in charge of aren’t often stop/start affairs.
    He also seems like such a genuinely nice bloke

This, and love his banter.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nigel Owens – what a legend’ is closed to new replies.