Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nidderdale Route
  • CrispyCSW

I’m planning to ride the classic Nidderdale route this weekend, starting / ending in Ramsgill.

Just wondering if there are any bit’s (cheeky or otherwise) worth adding on?

bspoked
    Free Member

MartinHutch is the man to ask if he is around. Always knows the best routes in this part of the world. Last time I asked he said:

My only recommendation is to keep going on the BWs across the road back down to Lofthouse and follow them all the way back to Ramsgill. Otherwise you’ll miss the best bits, really.”

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah, as above, apart from they’re byways, technically.

So. Ramsgill (you may find it easier to park in lofthouse tbh). Follow the Nidderdale Way on the SW side of the valley to Studfold, up to Middlesmoor, pint, – over to Scar, if its not too windy go round the Scar by the permissive bridleway, not exciting trails but its a nice scenic extension to a very pretty bit of the world. Then the bridleway round the north side of the valley. At the shooting house (the 2nd one you will pass on this route), if people are shagged/injured/too tired to carry on and you’re parked in Lofthouse drop down here, good descent but it’s all your height gone very quickly. If none of those things are true, carry on. Staggered crossroads on the road so left and immediately right. 200yrds or so you come to a junction – straight/right is a rocky (loose not gnar) long descending track with drainage bumps and every chance of pinches, left a fast cross moor section, through 2 gates, then right on the 1st track you come to, for a long descending no brakes track (wind through your helmet) bit, depends on your mood really, then just keep descending. If you’re very very lucky when you start actually going down to Ramsgill, the farmers will have been moving sheep, and all the gates will be open. I’ve only every had that once, but oh my, happy day!

tbh there isn’t really any cheek to be had round that route. And its too late in the year for the alternative option to be much fun as massively overgrown with bracken obscuring the line etc. Ignore the mag and get your pies from the butcher at the bottom of the high street, but cross the road to the bakery for the tiffin, that will pull you out of a bonk like nothing else. If you’re there on a sunday pies are available from Langton’s 2/3rds up the high street on the left.

unklehomered
    Free Member

doh…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh nice, shall be having a crack at that soon..

lasty
    Free Member

Bimble on the road to Lofthouse and turn right up the (steep tarmac) hill, levels off, look for a bw on the left follow around the contour track and it gets to the reservoirs. Cross the bridge and turn right, along past the visitors centre and up the rough track on your left – steep climb out and follow the donhilltrack to Middlesmoor ….. ANNNND have a pint at the crown – best boozer in Nidderdale .
    Lots of variations en route but thatll give you a good workout – might be an off road link between Ramsgill and lofthouse but ive never rode it as I usually camp behind the Crown… 😆

martinhutch

Very kind, bspoked! And yes, they are byways… 😳

I must admit, I don’t know any cheek which adds to the Nidderdale Classic route – you can make a bigger loop that by adding in extra bridleway mileage etc on the east side of the loop, but I’m not convinced it adds much more quality, just distance.

Definitely bribe mates with cake to nip ahead and open the gates on the Ramsgill descent for you, though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I can’t/don’t do GPS stuff cos I am fick innit.
    So, go from Ramsgill to Lofthouse either on road or the adjacent BW (which you’ll see on the map) Don’t actually go into Lofthouse but go up the road to Middlesmoor & head over the top on the BW to Scar House. Go over the dam wall & join the Nidderdale Way (kind of)when you get to a shooting hut with glass windows, head left & up the hill a bit keeping on the obvious track which is like riding on big marbles. After about 3kmtrs there’s a track that goes left (FP) & takes you to the road (from Lofthouse to Leighton Res), go left at the road & when you get to grid ref 158783 (ish) hang a sharp right along a tarmac track towards Roundhill Reservoir. Go over the dam here & go straight up the hill heading onto Masham Moor & past White Lodge Crags. When you get to a big wide track turn right then take the next left back to Ramsgill, finishing on a good DH.
    Sorry I’ve had to explain it the long way round!

CrispyCSW

Thanks all, I’ll have a look at those now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nidderdale Route’ is closed to new replies.