Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Nicole Cooke
  • TPTcruiser

MBA from Cardiff University, graduated today.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Chapeau Nicole 🙂

mt
    Free Member

good for her, hope she is as good at her next role as she was at racing bikes.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

hat.

convert

I have gone into management consulting

Dear god, you have to pity the poor sods who’ll have to be ‘consulted upon’ by her. She was universally disliked in the bike world for a reason.

alanl
    Free Member

Convert – I’ve only ever heard good things about her – care to elaborate?

convert

Does the PR bit quite well and pretty bright so comes across well to the public/fans. I spent a bit of time in her company and knew/know some folk around at the time when she was racing. Only so much I can say but put it this way – there was a reason she struggled for contracts even when number one in the world and lodged alone away from the athletes village and the rest of the team at the Athen’s Olympics.

Edric64
    Free Member

Only met her once when my lad had his photo taken with her at her Olympic gold celebration fete and she was very nice .Not seen her in the working environment of bike racing though

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

*sigh*

dirtyboy

I too have heard that she has a “distinctive” personality from someone who worked with her

loddrik
    Free Member

Who…? 😕

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sounds like perfect management consultant material then

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did appear to have a fair old chip on her shoulder, but then given the era she raced in who can blame her.

Must get around to reading her book.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Whenever I hear somoen has gone into managment consultancy I die a little inside.

IdleJon

Did appear to have a fair old chip on her shoulder, but then given the era she raced in who can blame

At one point a few years ago she had a go about not only being given jellybabies for winning a race not s proper prize. She omitted to mention that it was an U12 race that was free to enter, organised by volunteers and the jellybabies were given to all the kids who raced.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Presumably that was when she was <12.

I’m pretty sure that’s OK then.

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve worked with a few people with MBAs. Very bright but not so good with commonsense or actually getting anything done properly…

mrblobby
    Free Member

jellybabies were given to all the kids who raced.

Well at least she can’t complain that it wasn’t a level playing field if all the kids were on the jellybabies 🙂

IdleJon

Well, yes, she raced that when she was U12, obviously. 😆 It still rankled with her as an adult though. (Mind you, later there was a bit of a hooha between her family, the guy who handed out jellybabies and it ended with Welsh cx being wrecked for a season or two. 😉 )

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmmm, without reading what she said about it I don’t know who’s side I’m ‘on’, but if her point was something about “making the kids feel like their being taken seriously and encouraging them to continue with the sport”, then it’s probably her side.

I am biased, clearly, as the pic above shows* 🙂

*Sadly, this frame met a sorry end. I cracked the loop stay, left it somewhere for collection later.

The person looking after it asked if a friend of his could weld it. I said yes. The person then rode it till the back end snapped off clean and threw whole signed frame away without asking me how I felt 🙁

I was severely pissed about it.

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve worked with a few people with MBAs. Very bright but not so good with commonsense or actually getting anything done properly…

I’ve worked with many more people who don’t have MBAs, are pretty stupid, lack common sense and are fairly incompetent.

footflaps

Dear god, you have to pity the poor sods who’ll have to be ‘consulted upon’ by her. She was universally disliked in the bike world for a reason.

Yep, not a team player apparently.

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve worked with many more people who don’t have MBAs, are pretty stupid, lack common sense and are fairly incompetent.

But this is the internet, we’re allowed sweeping generalisations 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Yep, not a team player apparently FACT.

Fixed it for you 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah, whatever.

She’s an awesome cyclist.

IdleJon

Its fine, gofasterstripes, we all know she’s an excellent athlete. But even the greatest can have unfortunate character flaws. 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Okay then.

Dash my dreams…. 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

What management consultant will she be? 😛

iainc

I really enjoyed her book – a great read.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Most mba types I ve met have very little capability in anything other than talking fluent gibberish.

blurty

I remember talking with Brain Rourke a few years ago, Nicole Cook was sponsored by Brian at the start of her career.

He said she was the ‘ardest’ rider he’d ever met, and he’s met a few!

‘Ard as nails’ she was. To be so driven must warp your personality a bit I think.

chewkw
    Free Member

blurty – Member
    He siad she was the ‘ardest’ rider he’d ever met, and he’s met a few!

‘Ard as nails’ she was. To be so driven must warp your personality a bit I think.

Oh I see … in that case she should be a management consultant focusing on:

1. Authoritative Leadership Management style?
    2. Top down leadership management style?

😆

blurty

I think she might be better suited to advising solo enterprises!

unknown
    Free Member

Athen’s Olympics

Jesus wept.

brooess
    Free Member

Athen’s Olympics
    Jesus wept

You sure it’s not Jesu’s or Jesus’?

aracer
    Free Member

Jesus Zeus wept.
    [/quote]

slowoldman

Did appear to have a fair old chip on her shoulder, but then given the era she raced in who can blame her.

This.

DrJ
    slowoldman

What’s the problem DrJ? She probably did quite a bit in her career to support the cause of women’s cycling in the face of huge disinterest. She could probably ride faster than you can wash dishes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

This bit is worth highlighting from her retirement statement, you can see why she maybe didn’t “fit in”…

I did not have long to wait before encountering suspicious circumstances. In the fridge [in a team house] were various bottles and vials with diaphragms on top for extracting the contents via syringes. I rang dad and asked what I should do. We chatted it through and came to the conclusion that even condoning the presence of ‘medicines’ in the house I was staying, could lead to pressure being put on me, or in the worst case, if there was a raid on the house, it was highly unlikely that any of the “professionals ” I was sharing the house with were going to say “it’s a fair cop guv, That gear is all mine.” So, I emptied the fridge and put the lot out in the front garden and [said] either it went or I went. It went.

Again… chapeau Nicole!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Nicole Cooke’ is closed to new replies.