Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Nicolai ION 16 owners – whats it like?
  • ddmonkey

I am liking the look of it very much indeed – anyone got one and an opinion on what they are like? Thanks!

doug_basqueMTB.com

We had one out on a trip a few weeks ago. It looked ace. I’d guess it weighted about 32lbs, not heavy but not light either. I had a quick spin about on it and it felt very nice.

Rik
    Free Member

Wait for the 650b one in the new year :0)

Very interested in this thread……….

Does anybody have one in the Peaks or Lakes or somewhere in between I could have a look at and maybe have a quick spin, pretty please

messiah
    Free Member

*swoon*

Linky to owners thread.

Rik
    Free Member

I know, they just look ‘right’ in a totally sorted solid way.

honourablegeorge

Loving mine – really surprised by how well it goes uphill – had expected to lose a little uphill and gain going down over my Spicy, but it does both better. Really solid, jumps well, traction, everything is great. Running it in the 65 degree setting and haven’t felt the need to change it at all.

It’s 31 lbs on a very dodgy Aldi scales – the Spicy was within 20g of it (and I topped up Stan’s and fitted a heavier reverb), so it’s not any heavier. I did mean to weigh the frames, but got too excited.

You’ll get lighter bikes in carbon, not sure you’ll get better ones. I wanted a solid, confidence-inspiring bike, one I wasn’t going to have to babysit and worry about. The raw finish helps too – no paint to scratch.

I’m still on a “new bike” buzz so I’m obviously biased beyond belief, but I’d definitely recommend it.

honourablegeorge

Rik – Member
    Wait for the 650b one in the new year :0)

Eurobike 2014 for that, apparently – won’t be on sale until after that.

_tom_
    Free Member

I really want one but could never justify the cost! They do look awesome though.

Rik
    Free Member

Eurobike 2014 for that, apparently – won’t be on sale until after that.

Available Spring 2014 – proto will be out December 2013
    Just wont be shown at Eurobike 2013.

Johnridesbikes
    Free Member

I am looking into one of these at the minute, very nice frames. honourablegeorge what size frame have you got?

Rik
    Free Member

Honourablegeorge – what tune do you have on the Bos rear shock?

Chainline
    Free Member

Rik, you can have a look at /spin on my Ion15/29 if you want in or near the peaks. Obviously its got bigger wheels but apart from that is the same. Mine has the same trail numbers as the 16 and is actually slightly shorter overall than a large 650b one will be.

philbert31
    Free Member

I’m torn between an ion 16 and a nomad c, it’ll be my only bike for a while so needs to be able to do everything, even if that means being over biked some of the time my only concern is the climbing ability of the ion, I’ll be using it for enduros so it needs to be able to go up as well as bombing the downs. Weight wise I’d be happy at 31lb.

honourablegeorge, what size frame is that?

Chainline
    Free Member

Philbert31, firstly, you could building somewhat lighter than 31lb without going mad. Tho easiest 1×10 or 1×11 at that.

Secondly they climb pretty good IMHO, especially with the right shock. I run a standard CCDBAir and I’m very happy with the climbing. I did run an RP23 and thats easier obviously because it has the climb mode. The new CCDBair CS would be fantastic with the HV can, but tbh it works pretty damn good with an RP23.

Ultimately it has a pretty steep seat tube to go with the long TT so it gets your weight in the right place. It will obviously climb better in ‘high’ than ‘low’.i thinks the Ion 16 is a great Enduro bike.

philbert31
    Free Member

I’d be running it with a RP23 as it would be coming off the Donor bike with all the other parts, I just need to decide on a set of Bos Devilles or fox 36s

Rik
    Free Member

Now you just have to decide between 26 and 650b Ion 16……

honourablegeorge

Chainline – mine’s a large. First day out, I cleaned a climb on it (in “low”) that I’d never managed on my Spicy.

philbert31
    Free Member

Rik- yes very true!

philbert31
    Free Member

Rik- yes very true!

Chainline
    Free Member

Devilles all the way if you have the choice. Still my favourite fork ever. I’m thinking of getting a 16 for myself in 26″ flavournjustnso I can run devilles again! Don’t need one but, well, y’know!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai ION 16 owners – whats it like?’ is closed to new replies.