• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by shiny.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nicolai ION 16 650B – Any riders and opinions welcome! Possible next purchase.
  • shiny
    Free Member

Hi All,
    Am seriously considering purchasing a Nicolai ION 16 in 650B flavor. Love the looks, love Nicolai build quality, welding, etc. Have had 3 CC’s, one AC and a FR so know what Nicolai are like and they are a marmite bike.

Would love to hear from any riders about what they like or dislike?
    Built up weights?
    Specs?

Many Thanks
    Shiny

godzilla
    Free Member

Brilliant bike, nothing I would swap it for, nothing I dislike, rides like a charm.

iolo
    Free Member

Personally, I like a bike with a chain and pedals, but each to their own. If it works for you that’s fine.

godzilla
    Free Member

Happy now?

honourablegeorge

Can nyl speak for the 26″ version, but I’d say get one.

shiny
    Free Member

I am 5’8″ tall, all my others Nicolai’s have been mediums and am therefore think the same…will I die?

Currently have a medium Bronson with full XX1, carbon wheels, reverb, enve bars, thomson 50mm stem, ck headset and BB with 150mm Pikes.

I know the recommendation is 160/170mm travel forks but will I cope for a while with them?

Cheers
    Shiny

wrecker
    Free Member

You can get an air shaft kit for £50 and change the travel on your pikes I think.

shiny
    Free Member

Really wrecker, will need to investigate as that would really help.
    Cheers
    Shiny

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Had mine for over 1.5 years. Been riding it a lot, and is the bike i use the most.
    Fun and fast.

MRP Stage Forks, CCDB Air CS. X01 groupset, X0 Trail brakes, Reverb 150mm. Hope Hubs-Lightbicycle Carbon rims. Magic mary front tyre, Onza Ibex rear.. Just under 31 lbs

duir
    Free Member

Anyone used the Nicolai direct sales to order their frame?

Experiences?

Any hassles with duty/import tax?

riklegge

FYI there’s a Nicolai demo weekend at Forest of Dean next weekend, some info is on the Nicolai UK Facebook page.

welshfarmer

Anyone used the Nicolai direct sales to order their frame?

Experiences?

Any hassles with duty/import tax?

As far as I know Nicolai are a German-based brand so no import duty to pay (unless you are asking from a US point of view of course). Depending on their sales set-up you may end up having to pay the UK 20% Vat rather than the 19% that German buyers pay but that won’t be a lot really.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Simple and easy. Done it twice and it’s simpler going direct than through a shop.

Cannot say a bad word.

heihei

Im surprised you think a Nicolai is a marmite bike. Looks maybe, but in terms of ride, they are the most neutral bikes I’ve ridden, and I mean that in a positive way – they just allow you to get on with riding, rather than worrying how the suspension is performing etc.

duir
    Free Member

Simple and easy. Done it twice and it’s simpler going direct than through a shop.

Cannot say a bad word.
    That’s encouraging, any hassles with import or duty or are we exempt in the UK as welshfarmer says?

shiny
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I have just purchased an ion16 in semi-permeable orange with a result monarch plus and blue extra love. It is a stunner and cab be seen on the Nicolai uk homepage I think.

The downside is that I live in Malaysia and will not get my hands on it until Christmas when back on holiday.
    The upside is ‘happy Christmas’ to me!

Cheers
    Shiny
    P.s Bronson and banshee prime now for sale…;)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai ION 16 650B – Any riders and opinions welcome! Possible next purchase.’ is closed to new replies.