Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Nicolai Helius AC -v- Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon
  • the_lecht_rocks

let the fight begin.

thoughts ?

simonm
    Free Member

Nomad C instead.

the_lecht_rocks

nah – i’m after ~140mm of travel.

i have a Helius AM for the Alps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the_lecht_rocks

no-one ?

nickc

Chameleon. Rear suss is for losers… 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

No idea about the Helius, but the LTc is bloody marvellous.

neil853
    Free Member

i test rode and have now ordered a ltc, i thought it was spectacular to ride.

the_lecht_rocks

c’mon then pedalhead and neil853 – tell me more……………

pedalhead
    Free Member

erm well it’s the stiffest frame I’ve ever ridden, by quite a margin. Made my Fivespot feel like a noodle in comparison. Decent weight. Can handle far more than I can. I’ve done a week of DH in the Alps and 100+km XC races on it. Very versatile.

the_lecht_rocks

pedalhead – thanks – confirming my suspicions about it’s ability and adaptability.

the_lecht_rocks

sizing – i’m at 6′ and think the large seems about right with 19″ ST and 23.5″ TT.

thoughts ?

neil853
    Free Member

what i found it did really well was maintain a neutral riding position all the time, by that i mean it seemed ‘level’ all the time. Whether pedalling, up hill, downhill whatever. Doesn’t seem to squat so when peddaling up a rough climb it feels really quick.

The travel (pardon the cliche) also seemed bottomless, i mean i’m not a small chap (15st) but i didn’t bottom it out, or i didn’t feel it bottom out.

It is also incredibly stiff, there is little to no lateral flex which is instantly noticable when putting the power down.

If there was any downside on fireroad type climbs it felt sluggish, but flicking the propedal helps this.

I can safely say that i can’t wait to get mine but i hasten to add you must test them, i know some peolpe have tried the lt2/ltc and not found them as good as i did, everyone is different.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and have ordered a large

the_lecht_rocks

i’ll get a shottie……….somehow…………

the pedal strike on my AM is putting me off an AC, as well as the weight penalty, hence the LTC.

pedalhead
    Free Member

5ft 10 here and on a large. It’s the only large frame I’ve ever bought (usually medium), but most of the measurements on the Blur seem to come up smaller than “large” frames from other manufacturers. Only problem for me is the seat tube, which is a bit tall at 19″. Wouldn’t be an issue except it’s a tad too tall for the dropper seatpost I had. No big deal really as the post died within a couple of weeks anyway.

neil853
    Free Member

what dropper seatpost did you have pedalhead?

pedalhead
    Free Member

i900 thingy, one of the original ones. It was proper rubbish, but I understand they’ve improved the seals since then. Anyway, probably won’t be a problem for you as I have fairly stumpy legs & it was only a fraction too tall.

the_lecht_rocks
    neil853
    Free Member

I have a joplin so we’ll see how that goes

the_lecht_rocks

i’m on my 3rd joplin and this one’s been perfect thro’ the summer.

geetee1972
    Free Member

TLR – I take it you’ve ridden a VPP-2 framed bike before now? They qre quite different to riding a horst link. I’m sure you’d get used to it, but you may find the difference a little unsettling at first. They aren’t what you would call particularly neutral but it does work very well.

Oh and pedal strike on the AM, really? Do you get pedal strike while riding it? Well I never. Who’d have thought. Funny really because you’ve never mentioned it before 😉

the_lecht_rocks

gt – no, never.

pinches
    Free Member

i almost bought an AC, but since changing jobs i’ve been looking at an LTC or a Mojo.

the_lecht_rocks

pinches – that’s right – thought you had bought the ac…..

why the change of mind ?

pinches
    Free Member

I still love the bespoke and highly crafted nature of the nicolai but I decided If I was spending that kind of money I wanted carbon. Plus, I can get a really good deal on either of the above through work – if we dealt with nicolai maybe it would be different.

Toombsy
    Free Member
    mike61
    Free Member

Mr Rocks

I’ve owned both a SC Blur LT2 and a Helius AC. In both cases the same build with Fox Vanilla 32 140 forks and weighing 30lbs.

Differences: The LT2 was more sluggish on climbs – I love VPP bikes but this one was sluggish. LT2 head angle felt steeper and bike felt more twitchy as a result. Helius AC needs to be ridden hard, the harder the better, the LT2 could be taken more steadily across and around things. Helius is much more stable than the SC on steep descents, also more comfy and feels rock solid. The Helius suspension (air pressure and rebound etc) is much easier to set up than VPP – don’t underestimate this as it can ruin a VPP ride. I fit a double and bash to my bikes – on LT” the lower grease port stands proud of the frame and proud of the bash guard therefor the grease port was in fact the bash guard – this was a major issue for me as I like riding over trees and boulders etc – the grease port was smashed and bent 3 times. This would not be a problem if the large chainring was fitted. I have the AC in the longest travel setting and don’t suffer from excessive bob or whatever, it rides and pedals fine.

Similarities: Similar cost. Pedal strike on rough ground and small compressions (not a big issue but common to both). Perfect for UK trails I have been on, I’m not interested in alps stuff so I can’t comment. I’m 5’10 and large in both sizes suits me perfectly. I have a fox 36 fork on another bike so tried it on both LT2 and Helius AC – not too good on either, increased the weight and made steering sluggish but gave both same trail destroying feel.

Where am I now. I sold the LT2 after a 14 months as the grease port issue got to me. I’m liking the Helius AC a lot and looking to keep it a long time – I have started down the slippery slope of spending money to reduce of it by a couple of pounds.

My recommendations: If you want a bike for long rides and trails without slow technical stuff eg riding over and along trees and boulders etc then the LT2 is a fine bike. If you want something that is a great all-rounder get the Nicolai. Nicolai are special bikes to look at and to ride (AC is my second).

Contact me if you want more info or photos of the bikes etc

Cheers

the_lecht_rocks

mike61 – whats your AC weigh in at ?

my Helius AM is between 31 and 33lbs.

messiah
    Free Member

If VPP is so great… of the six friends I have who bought in only two still ride them, and they mostly ride their hardtails instead and the VPP’s sit unloved. The rest sold on and are back on single pivot (and an old elsworth id). Personally I find they have a dead feel I don’t like… much prefer sp or 4bar.

oxnop
    Free Member

Never rode a Nicolai, i have owned lots of others (405, 5AM, mojo SL etc).

The LTc is ace, im 5 11 and ride a large. The GF is 5 6 and rides a medium LT2.

I have a coil for bigger days and monarch 4.2 for general riding (when the HT just wouldnt do 😀 )

kaiser
    Free Member

Rode an LTC yesterday .. prefer my HL 5 spot tbh ( at 1/3 the price too 2nd hand)

the_lecht_rocks

interesting comments folks – but there’s no disguising the BLTc weight !

vinnyeh

interesting comments folks – but there’s no disguising the BLTc weight !

You mean lack of – it’s about half pound lighter than the Helius.

Still, bikes are an irrational purchase, head said for me to buy a Blur Ltc, but heart said to buy a Mojo, I reckon you’ll stick with Nicolai and justify it whatever.
    Can’t really go wrong with anything these days, anyway, they’re all better bikes than our conditions and skills need.

the_lecht_rocks

vinneyh – i’m now learning the weight differential between the 2 bikes is less than 1/2 lb ……… !

i need clarification however……..

does anyone know the true weight of a helius AC + monarch 4.2 in a large ?

tia

mrclean
    Free Member

are you still keen to sell the bars you previously advertised?

glynP
    Free Member

Get the LTC you sound as if you want one.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’d go Helius everytime. Mainly because they look ace!

the_lecht_rocks

mrclean – yes – what’s your email ?

looks like a 28lb Helius AC is do-able on FLOAT 150’s.

mike61
    Free Member

Hi

My AC is 30.2 lb

It is a large raw frame with fox rp23 shock, mavic 719 rims on Hope proII hubs, Formula Oro k24 brakes with 180mm rotors, XT crankset with Envy bashguard, XTR front mech and cassette, X9 rear mech and shifters, Thomson seatpost 410mm and stem, Azonic B52 bars, CK headset and Hope BB. I use High Roller 2.35 tyres with Dr Sludge tubes.

I reckon 28lbs would be do-able without going crazy on the money front. But to be honest 30 lbs feels fine as it is a chunky frame and going too light weight may make it a bit delicate for what it is capable of.

Cheers

heihei

I have Head for the Hills demo bike sitting in my shed as of last night. Once I’ve washed the mud off it I’ll weigh it. For a demo bike it’s quite a pimp build – CK wheels / HS, XTR, Thomson, Fox 32 Talas. I’ll report back tonight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai Helius AC -v- Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon’ is closed to new replies.