Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nicolai bearing adjustment
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Is it possible to adjust the bearings on my Ion, and if so can anyone please advise on how to do it please?

Yetiman
    Free Member
    godzilla
    Free Member

I saw that but I can’t see a grub screw.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m useless at describing this sort of thing, but unless Nicolai have changed things with the ION there should be an allen key bolt on each of the linkage bearings and bushes, on the non-drive side, and on the opposite drive side of the linkages there’s a smaller allen key grub screw which stops the whole assembly coming loose. If a bearing or bush develops play you loosen the grub screw on the drive side, then nip up the corresponding allen bolt on the non-drive side until all the play has been removed, then re-tighten the grub screw.

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense??

godzilla
    Free Member

Deffo no grub screws.

honourablegeorge

None on mine either

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Sorry for the late response. The angular contact bearings on the newer Ion frames are not adjustable – if you’ve got movement they probably need replacing.

honourablegeorge

Simon… the rear bushes on an Ion… on the chainstay. .. can those be tightened?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Chainstay can be adjusted on them

duir
    Free Member

I think some are confusing the old bushing system with the newer bearing system. The old system required loosening the grub screw, tightening the large bolt on the opposite side then re tightening the grub screw. Worked well too, in 3 years I only had to change the top hat style bushings twice, all other bushings were still fine.

On the ION’s it’s a new system of bearings that are not adjustable and once you have ruled out other possibilities such as shock bushings and loose bolts it’s new bearings required. Except for the rearmost part of the linkage on the chainstays, they are as per the old bushing system and should last donkeys years.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Duir – thanks for writing a clearer description than I did.

Worked well too, in 3 years I only had to change the top hat style bushings twice, all other bushings were still fine.

Interesting – I’ve never replaced the Top Hat bushings on any of my Helius’s but have replaced the main pivot and lower shock lever pivot bushings.

godzilla
    Free Member

The play came from the chain stay Allen bolt on the drive side, torqued it up and it disappeared, it was so tiny you couldn’t feel it unless waggling the wheel, just did a week in PDS and it’s perfect.
    Thanks for the replys guys.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai bearing adjustment’ is closed to new replies.