Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Nicolai 2014 frames. No 26"… it seems
  • citizeninsane
    Free Member

Would seem the Helius and Argon are now 27.5″ and 29″. Pissing me off because I’m currently saving for a Helius and want a 26″. I’m hoping they’d still do a 26″ 2013 model, since their bikes are hand mare to order, so they could just knock one up for me. 🙂

Let’s not turn this into a wheel size debate, I’m just giving the heads up on their new frames.

scotroutes

Pretty sure this is a 26er

citizeninsane
    Free Member

OK, maybe not the fat Argon. Given I’m not after a fat bike (or an Argon), it doesn’t help my situation much.

Bregante

Got a large 2010 Helius cc which may be up for sale shortly (due to the wonderousness of my new 29er!)

Rik
    Free Member

Horses for courses, as I’m happy as I’m saving up for a 650b Nicolai :0)

citizeninsane
    Free Member

I have enough trouble getting through the tight/twisty stuff as it is, without making it harder for myself with bigger wheels. 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you’re saving for a new bike is it really going make that much difference if you just go 650b? Genuine question – you might even prefer it!

accu
    Free Member

seems that the helius TB is still 26`..at least the chain stay length of 426mm proves it..
    the argon may have 26`rims..but with an surly 3.0 tyre its a 27.5
    chainstay is 440mm as with all the other 27.5`frames..
    but I think they will make you a 26´ helius without the taylor made pricetag…hope so..

julianwilson
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member

If you’re saving for a new bike is it really going make that much difference if you just go 650b? Genuine question – you might even prefer it!

Perhaps the OP is planning on building his own fork and wheels onto a new frame. Still that way it will get with the trend of low bb’s and big mud clearance. 😆

theflatboy
    Free Member

Good point, I was thinking entirely new bike, rather than new frame only.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Possibly. I haven”t particularly liked the 29ers I’ve ridden, but obviously that may may not carry over to the 650b.

I wouldn’t be buying a full bike, I’d just be getting the frame and swapping bits over form my current hardtail, cos I can’t really afford to buy new forks/wheels etc. on top of the price of the frame.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

seems that the helius TB is still 26`..at least the chain stay length of 426mm proves it..

I think you may be looking at the 2013 specs. The 2014 chainstay is 445mm on the medium (and larger). Their website is a bit funny and links to different versions, depending which TB link you happen to click on (very uncharacteristically inefficient, for the Germans). Maybe they’re still doing both. Suppose I’ll find out when the time comes to pull the trigger in a few months.

accu
    Free Member

you`re right !…the tech sheet says 2013…
    still hoping they offer both..

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Me too. Hopefully they’re just adding to the range for 2014.

recipher
    Free Member

I can’t think of any scenario where they won’t sell you a 26″ frame, considering they make to order anyway.

Dan
    Free Member

check eBay, there is a CC and an AFR currently for sale; 26″ bikes with warranty left on them not that you will need it as they are built to last.

accu
    Free Member

it`s even worse for the oldschool 26″ fans…

all 2014 bikes will be in 27.5 except the ION 16, complete techsheets will be available after eurobike show..

the helius TB comes in 27.5 size s only , bigger sizes are 29, 142×12 rear axle..
    the helius AC comes in 27,5 , 142×12 rear axle, postmount standard for the rear brake..
    ION 16 remains 26 but on request as 27.5
    the argon FAT shown in the second post is a limited edition of 60 frames..(and the surly tyres are 3.8…)

the only question is if there will be any extra charges for ordering a 26`version…

roverpig

This 650b thing is really getting stupid. I’ve nothing against manufacturers experimenting with different wheel sizes. But for a decent experiment we need people on each side. That’s what happened with 29ers. Some manufactures pushed them and some pushed against. Despite all the petty name calling we did end up with a pretty good understanding of the pros and cons of 26 and 29. But now we have pretty much the whole industry jumping the same way seemingly without question and that makes me suspicious.

twistedpencil

Well even before my new build is finished it’s obsolete…
    AC 29er
    Have to say as long as I can get hold of wheels, tyres and forks for the coming years I won’t be too worried. May start stocking up on High Roller II’s!

Bike industry is barking at the moment.

the_lecht_rocks

edit

the_lecht_rocks

i’m loving that Fatbike – emailed my dealer regarding one 🙂

edd

Does anyone know UK prices for the following?
    2014 Helius AC 650b
    2014 Ion 16 26″
    2014 Ion 16 650b

Thanks, Edd

shredder
    Free Member

I’s the fat bike colour a std Nicolai colour anybody know ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you want a 26″ Helius Nicolai will always build you one. In the past models were not so much discontinued as they were sidelined. Nicolai doesn’t manufacture model lines like other mass produced bike makers do, they build to order (albeit in batches), so they can always fit in one offs. You may find at some point a one off of a previous model will incur a custom spec up charge though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

ION 16 remains 26 but on request as 27.5

ION16 27.5 can be ordered now for delivery early in 2014.

If you want a 26″ Helius Nicolai will always build you one. In the past models were not so much discontinued as they were sidelined.

Actually a bit of a change for this year. The old models ARE being discontinued and will incur a full custom charge in future. I’ve sneaked a final Helius AC 26 production run in and may be able to get one more bike on it if someones ready to pull the trigger immediately but after that no more.

2014 prices will probably going up about £75 from this year – will confirm in the next few weeks.

Rik
    Free Member

ION16 27.5 can be ordered now for delivery early in 2014.

Is this a fact now? Can I order one through you? Or a local dealer?

messiah
    Free Member

I’d love an Ion 16… in 26″ or 27.5″ flavour.

Anyone want to buy a three year old Helius AM… one careful owner :mrgreen:

Chainline
    Free Member

Twistedpencil your AC isn’t obsolete. It’s still a great bike and the wheel size is here to stay.

dazzlingboy

So my 26″ AM & AC may start going up in value soon?! Some hope! 😮

Rik
    Free Member

Def want to bag one of the first 650b Ion 16 in the New Year, but that means pre ordering blind without a geometry sheet.

That’s a lot of cash to drop ‘if’ they get it wrong……I’m sure the geometry will be very very similar to the current ion 16 but not knowing the bb drop concerns me with up front ordering.

twistedpencil

Chainline, I know 😉 just exploring the limits of it at the moment. I now crash a lot faster going down trails I’ve ridden for years that feel new. Just awaiting my reverb stealth to complete and I’ll post a pic up for people to point out issues with my garden.

Have to say, so far loving it.

maurizio
    Free Member

And there was me about to buy a nicolai argon AM… in purple too 😈 oh well.

duir
    Free Member

Maybe they could use a different linkage plate/shock to manipulate the 650 b into a 26″? They must be so close I bet that’s all most manufacturers are doing anyway then slightly extending the chainstay to fit the tyres……………… making it an even bigger con job.

I plumped for the 26″ Helius AC 2013 and have no regrets. Looks like a keeper too so hopefully this 650 betamax nonsense will have gone away by the time I want a new one in several years.

Seems odd for Nicolai to be going this way as they don’t seem like someone to just blindly follow the herd. Also, everyone I know that owns a Nicolai bought a frame only to fit their old 26″ stuff to. Hopefully they will still do 26″ to order or it could put off a lot of frame only customers.

26″, a front mech and a granny ring, because I am 40 and live in Scotland!

lilesy
    Free Member

enquired about the new ion 16 and was told a 650b model available end of year wonder if they will do the ion 18 as well in 650b

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai 2014 frames. No 26"… it seems’ is closed to new replies.