Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Nicola Adams
  • brakes
    Free Member

also, my sister lived in South Korea (where the martial art has its origins) and did Taekwondo and the way she described it, it all seemed a bit more Zen and more about the skills involved than scoring points off people.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Very true Grum; boxing is not a close approximation of a real situation either.

We could consider including cage fighting as an Olympic sport but I would want to see different rounds, so one versus one, one versus many etc. Grappling based systems are great for one on one, but not so great against multiple opponents. The most effective systems teach all techniques, like Krav Maga for example.

The real issue I think is that most martial systems are not designed as sports and the application just doesn’t translate into a sports arena. Boxing does it very well, but not perfectly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Very true Grum; boxing is not a close approximation of a real situation either

So why the original comment then? Surely the achievements both of them have made are equally a ‘joke’ based on your ‘informed’ opinion.

Edric64
    Free Member

Agree with the comments about boxing being just as contrived if you fought in the street as above it wouldnt be Queensbury it would be a few wacks a headbutt and a quick knee to the groin

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I used to sword fight for real and think fencing is for softies.

brassneck

also, my sister lived in South Korea (where the martial art has its origins) and did Taekwondo and the way she described it, it all seemed a bit more Zen and more about the skills involved than scoring points off people.

I reached a high level in Judo (national medals) as a junior, and I trained more like this. Competition is very different at the highest levels (well beyond my capabilities), I barely recognised the sport in the finals – it becomes essentially a fight for a good grip on the judogi as people at that skill level will throw for ippon if they get that good a grip.

There can’t be any debate though that winning Gold is a colossal achievement in any sport.

klumpy
    Free Member

I think I’ll wade in. As succinctly as possible:

The idea emerged in TKD practice that kicks are so awesome that they should be the main focus of your efforts in a fight (which has repeatedly been demonstrted to be totally untrue) and the rule set was designed to reflect this idea, rewarding kicks, particularly high kicks, and little else.

As a sport it’s particular demands for point scoring could well be argued to provide a demanding and watchable challenge, but many martial artists cringe at how kicky-punchy combat ends up being “represented” at Olympic level by this not particularly practical art.

TKD medallers are still exceptionally springy, stretchy, fast-reactioned, fit, the best at winning in their rules, and will have worked very damn hard to be.

geetee1972
    Free Member

OK Klumpy nails what I was actually trying to say way better than I did.

the-muffin-man

…now if the TKD folks were fighting to ITF rules it would liven things up a bit!

Edric64
    Free Member

Maybe the girls could fight with stilettos after a case of WKD ?

scaredypants

I’m sorry this has become a “dan waving” contest – especially as I’m not suitably endowed

… but I can’t allow peterfile to go unnoticed for his spectacular Nicola Adams entry on p1. Well done that man.

big_scot_nanny

Edric 64 – Member
    Maybe the girls could fight with stilettos after a case of WKD ?

I’ve been staying away form the argy-bargy olympics threads, but have to comment here – that was brilliant! have an LOL from me! (and genuinely LOL from a boring meeting as well!)

😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think that you will find that The Daily Mash wants to be credited for that humour.

Sorry Edric.

😉

Coyote
    Free Member

I just can’t see what the point of competitive TKD actually is other than it being a glorified game of tig and I’m taking an informed view on this.

No you are not taking an informed opinion. TKD is a martial art that prides itself on the quality of kicking required to progress through the ranks. The fact that they choose to base the sporting side around this aspect does not invalidate it at all. I’ll agree that it may not be the most enthralling of spectacles to the uninformed (with the exception of Muay Thai, not many traditional martial arts are!) but to dismiss is as glorified tig does not demonstrate an “informed view” but rather shows a “my style is better than yours” attitude which is immature at best, uninformed and disrespectful at worst.

Also Goju Ryu isn’t a ‘sport’ and therefore wasn’t open to Olympic competition

Most traditional martial arts aren’t sports. They are combat systems but most do have a sporting element to them. I take it you never took part in kumite? There are certainly competitive Goju Ryu events.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

geetee1972 has an opinion that is different from the rest of the keyboard warriors lol

I know where you are coming from. No disrespect to her or others but some sports will raise questions and lol

Horse riding? Water polo? Table tennis lol

I would have gold if table football was included…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes anyone can have an opinion, but to call the sport ‘a joke’ shows amazing disrespect to both the sport and the people who have dedicated their lives to being the best they can be as well as all their friends and family that have supported them.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I take it you never took part in kumite?

I did – I was good at the iri kumi never very good at ippon kumite, but I hated the idea of it outside of it being part of training or grading. Making it into a competition just felt silly.

but to call the sport ‘a joke’

I didn’t do that. I called the ‘competition’ a joke and I stand by that statement as I believe it is. Other people are free to hold different views and I respect those to a degree.

brakes
    Free Member

dedicated their lives to being the best they can be as well as all their friends and family that have supported them

wow! the needle on my cheeseometer just broke.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

but to call the sport ‘a joke’
    I didn’t do that. I called the ‘competition’ a joke

Splitting hairs and still demeaning her achievements.

geetee1972
    Free Member

OK whatever. It’s friday, the sun is shining, team GB has still had an amazing run and Nicola Adams is amazing. What’s to be argumentative about (either of us I mean).

Have a beer on me…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Invoice in the post 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Thus, the way the ‘fights’ are executed is just arbitrary; it’s a false construct of something.

All sport fighting is contrived to some extent, isn’t it? As is most sport.

Clay pigeon shooting – should have real pigeons and the competitors should have no food for a few days beforehand

Archery – make the targets run at them up a hill shouting and trying to hack them to bits with swords

etc

geetee1972
    Free Member

Molgrips we already signed a cease fire. It’s beer o’clock, the BMX is on and the sun is shining. Have a drink 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

… but I can’t allow peterfile to go unnoticed for his spectacular Nicola Adams entry on p1. Well done that man.

🙂

(glad someone got it)

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s an absolutely gorgeous day, I’m stuck inside doing my expenses sat next to a big window. To avoid boiling to death I’ve had to shut the curtains. Tonight I’ve arranged to go riding INSIDE.

WTF?

marcus7
    Free Member

Nice one GT72, thank god someone has the sense to let it go!, I understand your point, it just SEEMED that you were having a bit of a dig at the competitors and not the competition. Peace out…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So just to confirm – if anyone was harbouring thoughts that geetee was actually TJ under a different username they were clearly mistaken.

😆

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Nicola Adams’ is closed to new replies.