Viewing 25 posts - 161 through 185 (of 185 total)
  • Nicknames – any good ones?
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

When I was living in NZ, the ‘local’ policeman living in Hast was a lovely guy and about six and a half feet tall. His nickname, known by all, was Stretch.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Dobber” liked scrapping.

Obviously, Dobber means something else where I live.

I’d probably lamp someone who called me a Dobber TBH.

Cougar

When I was at school, a “dobber” was a large marble.

RickSpangle
    Free Member

Got a mate called “boxofrogs” self explanatory…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hilarious.. Just hilarious.

😆

findo_gask
    Free Member

A short-sighted mate used to be known as “Buddy Yamaha”, from his time labouring on building sites as a youth…

Glasses on = Buddy Holly; glasses off = caricature Japanese man.

Excellent thread!

airtragic
    Free Member

On basic training:
    Gimlet was a boring tool.
    Leatherman was a useless tool that everyone carried.
    A mate of mine was Ahab because of his penchant for spearing whales.
    D the C was Dave the c***.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Lad at school was very proud of being in the Sea Cadets. He had an extremely round head & it was remarked upon that in his sailors cap he looked like an egg in an eggcup.
    This caused him to go absolutely mental, so in reference to the popular flyspray of the day (being deadly) he became Mafu Egg.
    Great fun was had pretending to sneeze in class “ma..ma..ma..MAFU!!” and he’d lose it big time, desks going over etc.
    Cruel buggers we were 😆

Cougar

Commonly known then as “throwing a Benny”, after the bobble-hatted shitwit on Crossroads as I recall.

Or, less politically correctly, “having an eppy.” Simpler times.

Harris
    Free Member

Our female HR manager was referred to as ‘Nanna Lips’ because of the face she pulled when giving talks.

bentudder

Good friend piled his bicycle into the back of a very sensible Scandavian estate car on the way to school and opened his forehead on the name badge on its boot lid, requiring a couple of stitches. He still answers to the name ‘Ovlov’.

Probably of RN origin, but the navigator on most yachts I’ve raced on is usually known as Vasco, after Vasco de Gama. The tactician and helmsman together are usually known as the Aft Heads.

Which reminds me of a story a former Royal Marine I sailed with told me about why the Falkland Islanders were known to them as ‘Stills’.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Our HR manager is called 118, because she always gives you an advice line to call instead of dealing with it herself.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Which reminds me of a story a former Royal Marine I sailed with told me about why the Falkland Islanders were known to them as ‘Stills’.

Coz’ they’re still “Bennies”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

My excitable calamity prone cousin was (unimaginatively) known as coco at one work, no biggee there but when he got a landrover his colleagues surpassed themselves by giving it the moniker ‘coco’s grassbox’

theotherjonv

I just remembered another creative one.

A mate of ours (let’s call him pete, because that’s his name, and as it turns out, is highly relevant) had a girlfriend who by everyone’s opinion was an absolute bunny boiler. Constantly moaning and complaining and making things duifficult for all of us. She was nicknamed Elliott*, because that’s the name of Pete’s dragon.

* maybe not to her face.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ql9HPhdA8[/video]

neilthewheel

He still answers to the name ‘Ovlov’.

😀
    A member of one mtb club is known forever as “kickstand”, because he came to rides with such an accessory on his bike.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve got many many nicknames, but i’m not mentioning them on here, I hear enough of them! 😆

Few of my favourites of my mates are Gump(don’t actually know the orgins, but it’s obvious enough), Maddog(justified, once saw him scud a guy in the face with a fish supper one time, genuinely one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen) and the Shoodermonkey (shoulder monkey) (try chatting a burd up with this **** in the vicinity and you’ll understand! 😆 )

jonnyrobertson

The railway has always been a good place for nicknames, two of my all time favourites are Vidal Raccoon (the guy had a big ol’ bouffant with a white streak running through it) and Telly Saliva (because he looked like Telly Savalas if Telly Savalas only ever ate pies, drank mild and smoked roll ups).

An old workmate who is incapable of doing anything quietly is called Caps Lock.

Bloke with disproportionately short legs in relation to his torso is called Cut And Shut.

Colleague with the initials KC found themselves lumbered with the moniker KFC after someone inserted the middle banhammer-worthy word whilst ranting about them.

A bloke at work who comes in the messroom and never speaks is called Sooty (he’s also a steam railway enthusiast so it works on both levels).

ononeorange

A guy at college used to just hang around with us and never said much. Noone knew who he was so he was called Hover and it just stuck. He might still be called it now.

theotherjonv

we had a bloke like that too…… Limpet

Rich_s

Worked with a couple of guys, one of whom managed to win a national prize for top performer in the role.

Thing was, the metrics used were supposed to have been altered so he only ‘won’ because someone screwed up. In fact, by any other measure used before or since, both of the other guys in the region were actually rated waaaay better than him.

Hence we called him Ringo – after the “Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?” question and answer.

ratherbeintobago

Colleague with the initials KC found themselves lumbered with the moniker KFC after someone inserted the middle banhammer-worthy word whilst ranting about them

You work with Katie Compton?

catfood
    Free Member

Mate of mine is known as The Camel, as he`s always got the hump

caspian
    Free Member

Attractive Kazakh girl in my group at work. Her name is Kamshat, which is quite common here.

No prizes for guessing what the Americans call her (not to her face, obv.).

petemate
    Free Member

Mate of mine was known as Smeagol for his striking resemblance to his alter ego Gollum.

Viewing 25 posts - 161 through 185 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘Nicknames – any good ones?’ is closed to new replies.