Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Nick Clegg's rise could lock Murdoch and the media elite out of UK politics
  • grumm
    Free Member

very interesting article from a former Sun editor

The fact is these papers, and others, decided months ago that Cameron was going to win. They are now invested in his victory in the most undemocratic fashion. They have gone after the prime minister in a deeply personal way and until last week they were certain he was in their sights.

I hold no brief for Nick Clegg. But now, thanks to him – an ingenue with no media links whatsoever – things look very different, because now the powerless have a voice as well as the powerful.

All of us who care about democracy must celebrate this over the coming weeks – even if Cameron wins in the end, at least some fault lines will have been exposed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/apr/18/clegg-media-elite-murdoch-lib-dem

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think it altogether more likely that Murdoch and the Media Elite will lock Nick Clegg out of UK politics. But it's a sweet idea. 🙂

james-o
    Free Member

maybe, but their attempts may make some people more determined to vote for Clegg as a 2-fingers to the current system.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

So Clegg is the fall guy, I just hope the Libs have someone in reserve, safe pair of hands in Vince though.

I'd vote for them if I wasn't voting green on principle.

I hope more of the electorate are waking up to the sense the Libs talk, instead of viewing their vote as some kind of competition, where they have to vote for the 'winning' side …

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

what BD said

grumm
    Free Member

I think it altogether more likely that Murdoch and the Media Elite will lock Nick Clegg out of UK politics.

Well yeah pretty much. 🙁

AdamW
    Free Member

I think it altogether more likely that Murdoch and the Media Elite will lock Nick Clegg out of UK politics.

Only with our support.

How many people here buy 'the Sun' or pay for Sky television?

I don't do either on principle, and I look forward to when the Murdoch clan are cut down to size (dunno – a daily paper, a sunday paper and two TV channels max?)

jon1973
    Free Member

I wonder how many votes the libs loose by people saying, I would vote for them, but for a whole array of different reasons.

How many people here buy 'the Sun' or pay for Sky television?

Not me, deliberately chose Vrgin Media so I wouldn't be a prole in his media empire.

brakes
    Free Member

what BD said

well, that's a given, he is the voice of reason
    I'd be happy to see the death of the daily nationals in this country brainwashing those of feeble mind

james-o
    Free Member

Adamw, exactly. we have the control, it's about how you spend your money, your 'capitalist vote'.

"How many people here buy 'the Sun' or pay for Sky television?"

not me either, ever – for the exact reasons highlighted here.

kimbers

Adamw

you would be surprised how many seemingly bright people believe what they read in the times/sun/metro/standard/telegraph/mail/express/sky/itv etc

even if they only take it in subconsciously

there are a few people on here who seem to have been completely suckered in

i also boycott all murdochs output

davidrussell
    Free Member

why cant we get page 3 in another paper?

that would eliminate 90% of the suns "reader"ship

allthepies
    Free Member

>"How many people here buy 'the Sun' or pay for Sky television?

Not me, but I would imagine a large number of posters on here do and they're amongst the 10 million Sky subscribers.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Hung parliament, Lib-Lab pact. Will be in for a year getting abuse from The Sun et al. Then the press will hope the Cons get in after a year of bickering between the others in 'power'. And order restored for them….

kimbers

fwiw

i seriously doubt clegg will pull it off for that very reason

and even if he did it wouldnt take long for him and his party to be infiltrated by the media elite

whats interesting is that i think this yelland felllah may read this forunm as i said pretty mcuh the same thing yesterday!……..

ironically because they dont have the same money men funding them they retain some independence from the elite financial rulers who really run the country

the torry press in particular are laying it on thick because they had all been buttering up their golden boy who was garuanteed to be the next PM a few months ago but hes turned out to be such a lame duck they are getting desperate

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tabloid-smears-against-nick-clegg#post-1347814

allthepies
    Free Member

stoopid comment removed 🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Doubt Clegg could claim he is independent from the elite financial rulers, IIRC his father is a very, very rich banker who makes Camerons "riches" look meagre.

james-o
    Free Member

atp, explanation removed )

konabunny
    Free Member

Clegg being elected wouldn't take the media out of politics: politics doesn't exist without the media, the media is politics.

Well, that's a waste in our current system. Vote LibDem and you might get PR and your vote might be worth something…sometime. (OK, I admit there's a lot of "mights" in there).

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I don't read the Sun because apart from Murdoch its a piece of filthy lying shit

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The interesting thing (for me) is that if we do end up with a hung parliament & Labour are asked to form another Govt, & do so with the LibDems the price of that collusion will almost certainly be PR.
    If that happens the Tories are going to be effectively removed from the heart of British politics.
    I can sense a shift in the body-politic & the Tories condemned to the political hinterland just as the Liberals have been these past 60yrs or so.

Hmm, an interesting thought – can't wiat to see how it all pans out!

ratadog

I was doorstepped by the Tory canvassers this week and was most interested to find that the message they were determined to get accross ( even after I said thanks but no thanks and tried to close the door ) was that I must not let myself be fooled by Nick Clegg. Spoke to me of desperation.

I do think that if the division of vote stays as it is, pretty equal, with the Tories and the Lib Dems getting the highest percentage of the votes and then the party that comes "third", Labour, not only getting the most seats but with both the Tories and Labour getting 2.5 times the number of seats the LibDems get – see the BBC election calculator for the numbers – then I can see the Great British Public asking some very pointed questions about the validity of their current electoral system and any government not including the LibDems getting a very rough ride.

I am old enough to remember the non parliamentary reactions to some of Thatchers more interesting ideas. Funny how history keeps repeating itself.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Nick Clegg's rise could lock Murdoch and the media elite out of UK politics’ is closed to new replies.