Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Nice wee place on the Northumberland coast
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Planning on going away with the Mrs for a long weekend in February, and we were thinking Northumberland, perhaps Alnwick / Bamburgh area.

Can any of you lovely people recommend a nice little B&B or cottage that’s not too expensive, preferably close to somewhere nice to eat?

Ta (and happy new year)!

Drac

Craster, Embleton, Newton by the Sea, Beadnel or Boulmer would be good starters.

ianfitz
    Free Member

We’ve stayed at coastguard cottages at bamburgh. Great spot right on the coast (funnily enough)

The butchers is top notch and the scotch pies are incredible. Fish and chips from seahorse a worth a try too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Nope, nowhere nice up here. Cold and bleak. You wouldn’t like it.

Drac

Oh yeah I forgot. It’s shit up here.

frankconway

Birchwood House at Felton – just off A1, between Morpeth & Alnwick; comfortable, quiet, great breakfast, big guest lounge (big lounge for guests); home made cakes always available

The Cook & Barker at Newton on the Moor is about 20 mins walk; great food – more restaurant than pub.

You can get to the coast in about 20 mins.

There are some good dining options in Amble – Salt is highly recommended.

Go to Cragside at Rothbury.

Drac’s suggestions are good – if you go to Craster, get some kippers; do the clifftop walk to Dunstanburgh Castle.

Warkworth is lovely – and a bit genteel but none the worse for that; you could check B&Bs there.

It’s God’s own country – you’ll love it.

frankconway

Oops – edit: same as Charlie & Drac you really won’t enjoy it.

Used to live there but am now in Leeds – that should tell you everything……………

righog
    Free Member

Shameless plug

Druridge bay lodge

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope, Northumberland is pants any time of year 😆

Low Newton/Beadnell are my choices.

Bamburgh gets busy ( erm.. kinda.. ) because of the tourist trail, head high or low of that and its lovely.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We stayed here…
    http://www.number1springfield.co.uk/

A while ago. Very very nice.

The Red Lion or the Sun Inn in Alnmouth are good too if you fancy that type of accommodation.

Righog, I didn’t know you had a place up there, we’ve just booked somewhere in Alnmouth for 4 adults & 2 dogs!, bookmarked your place though.

righog
    Free Member

Jim, Make sure you go through me if you ever book…Might be a bit of discount 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Paul, wish I’d known. I left it to my stepdaughter who faffed around for ages & now we’ve got our 10th choice!

dovebiker

Our experience of a week in Bamburgh was that we wished we’d stayed in Scotland – not very friendly, dirty and poor value – obvious proximity to North East means they think they don’t need to try to hard. Laughable prices for rubbish food and we’re used to Surrey prices. Free wifi in the ‘luxury’ cottage ran out in 30 minutes, no towels, toilet roll and generally cr@p.

EvilE
    Free Member

Red Lion in Alnmouth, good food, open fire and dog friendly! Mac who owns it cycles too…

baden

My wife and I stayed here in November. Expensive but nice. We were looking for somewhere not too far from Newcastle. We ate in the Red Lion which was great.

welshfarmer
    gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s shit as many as said.

Don’t go.

Ever.

Go to Cornwall or the Lakes.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’s shit as many as said.

Don’t go.

Ever.

Go to Cornwall or the Lakes

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

flyingmonkeycorps

Ta very much all, I shall run (some of ;)) those past the Mrs and see what she says…

ac282

Nope, nowhere nice up here. Cold and bleak. You wouldn’t like it.

I think you’re confusing northumberland with County Durham

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think you’re confusing northumberland with County Durham

Which bit of County Durham, this bit…

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1549/24064658192_46b002cc88_o.jpg[/img]

Or this bit…

[img]https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5700/23142591495_4a2e67fc7f_o.jpg[/img]

Or this bit…

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/276/31659860700_4f2de42086_o.png[/img]

Or this bit…

Drac

Awful Essel almost as awful as the people of Northumberland are unfriendly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Awful Essel almost as awful as the people of Northumberland are unfriendly.

I hate Northumberland but I think it’s an aquired taste, so wer’e going back to Alnmouth again for 3 nights on 3rd Feb, just to double check like. 😉

km79
    Free Member

I like Northumberland, nice place. I will be delighted when we in Scotland gain independence and the threats to re-instate Hadrian’s Wall are acted upon by the English, gifting us a great big chunk of it! 😀

Drac

obvious proximity to North East means they think they don’t need to try to hard.

It is the NE.

righog
    Free Member

This popped up on my FB page. thought it was a rather nice overview of the region without going into too much detail.

Nice pictures of the north East

hot_fiat

Where else in the world can you do this:

And then an hour later be doing this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

New Zealand I think 😉 exactly 1hr hot Fiat?

ElShalimo

Cyprus?
    Ski in the Troodos Mtns then drive down to the coast for a swim

gobuchul
    Free Member

Where else in the world can you do this:

You would have to be encased in 5mm of rubber to do that on the Northumberland coast in winter.

And then an hour later be doing this?

On the 2 days a year there is any significant snow.

Cyprus?

I don’t think you would get much surf.

hot_fiat

exactly 1hr hot Fiat?

Well, it’s 50 miles from Longsands up to the gates of hell Fendrith Hill. 😆

On the 2 days a year there is any significant snow.

Hey, I’ve been skiing there in June! I’ve also been warmer at the top of the Hintertux at-15C.

Our best swell usually arrives in February. Yes it’s cold initchilly but you soon get used to it, that or pass out and die.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well, it’s 50 miles from Longsands up to the gates of hell Fendrith Hill.

Fendrith Hill is not in Northumberland. Neither is Longsands if you want be even more pedantic. 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Tarifa FTW.

mildbore

There’s a coastguard ‘ s cottage with lovely views over the sea at Burnmouth, just above Berwick. A bit further up the coast there’s a cottage on a beach with a little secluded fishermen’s harbour, access through a sandstone tunnel, at the bottom of a cliff, no vehicle access, at a place called Cove, near Dunbar. I know it’s in Scotland not Northumberland, but it’s a gorgeous location, wild and romantic

mildbore

There’s a coastguard ‘ s cottage with lovely views over the sea at Burnmouth, just above Berwick. A bit further up the coast there’s a cottage on a beach with a little secluded fishermen’s harbour, access through a sandstone tunnel, at the bottom of a cliff, no vehicle access, at a place called Cove, near Dunbar. I know it’s in Scotland not Northumberland, but it’s a gorgeous location, wild and romantic

ElShalimo

I’d imagine that Burnmouth is lovely on a nice day. I was there on Saturday and the weather was crap. It just looked depressing. There’s not much to do there on a bad day.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Nice wee place on the Northumberland coast’ is closed to new replies.