Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Nice steel hardtails – stubborn content.
  • guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I was casting my eye over the Orange website earlier and decided that one day I will probably own a P7. It just looks lovely and sounds like the sort of thing I’d really enjoy riding. I’ve got an Inbred (DN6, slot dropout, red one) at the moment and do love it dearly. It feels great. The only problem I have with it is that it sometimes feels a bit twitchy on mildly technical downhill sections. Other than that I can’t fault it. Might consider the 456 one day.

Who else makes a nice steel hardtail frames (stubborn content) suitable for XC/mild abuse? Any other Brit manufacturers I might not have heard of/know of?

Cheers,
    jon

pedalhead
    Free Member

Sanderson make some lovely, clean looking steel frames. Thinking of one of them to replace my mk1 PA as that’s probably over qualified for what I need.

nedrapier
    alpin
    Free Member

pedalhead
    Free Member

bootiful. how does it ride?

alpin
    Free Member

alpin
    Free Member

very well. have ridden it for a year in the alps with almost the set-up seen above – had wider rims and fatter tyres on – without any worries.

climbs nicely without any trouble. compared to the Alpine it flies up hill. able to keep up with the bigger bikes. very stable at speed and that is when the steel comes ‘alive’.
    i’d usually wind the fork out a little to 120-130mm on descents; although the frame is designed for 100mm.

as a out and out XC frame it excels. have ridden 3-4ft drops to flat and everything held together.

the finishing on the frame is top class. only niggle would be you can’t get anything larger than 160mm rotor on the rear. wasn’t ever really a problem despite 2000m descents last year. so not really a niggle then.

Northwind

If you’ve got the budget, for XC and mild abuse then look at a Soul… I’m out of the honeymoon with mine and still loving it.

Some of the P7 full builds look good value but the frame alone is too expensive IMO.

coogan
    Free Member

Jebus, that DeKerf is one ugly mofo and no mistake..

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks alpin, sounds ace. I’d be sticking some Pike 454 U-Turns (110 – 140mm) on it, so could run them lower for most riding. Cheers.

nedrapier

not as ugly as the older ones!

sandersons definitely look nice though!

alpin
    Free Member

i’d say with 20mm hub/fork it’s be great but would run it at more than 120ish.

at 100mm travel it’s nice and nippy and climbs great.

CaptJon
    Free Member

+1 for Sanderson

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

P7 is ansum, tho i prefure the older 1s designed for less travel, only reason im selling is i cant afford a p7 + clockwork and wanting to buy a 29er

roper
    Free Member

Here is my Sanderson

I love it. It never seems to want to fall down and sprints the moment you touch the pedals.

desf
    Free Member
    guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Those Sandersons look fantastic and sound ideal. Might have to try one out one day.
    Funds would have to be generously available to consider the Curtis. If i was going down the custom route then I think I’d try to get on a frame building course and do it myself 🙂
    Not really a fan of the Dekerfs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t anybody say Prince Albert yet?

Sounds like just what you need – and they look much tastier than P7s to me.

thepodge
    Free Member

i had a P7 not long back, didn’t like it at all, felt far too harsh

Moses

Alpin – are you referring to your pic of the Sanderson or the PA ?

mk1fan
    Free Member

That’s a Alpine not a PA.

Pipedream Sirrus (are they still in business?)
    Cove Handjob
    Cotic Soul
    Genesis Altitude
    Roberts Dogs Bollox

Are a few to choose from.

alpin
    Free Member

the Sanderson.

the Alpine is a completely different bike to ride. doesn’t go up with the same amount of ease as the Sanderson and on the flat it is hard work. it excels on the downs, mind.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Nice steel hardtails – stubborn content.’ is closed to new replies.