Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nice road frame with a BSA threaded BB
  • lunge

Right then, I’m fed up of my frame with a press fit BB, neither me or my LBS can get the bugger to stop creaking so I’m heavily debating just buying a new frame.

I’d like a good, racey frame and fork package with threaded BB and ideally with a neat way of routing Di2. Steel seems like a nice option, either from Condor or Richie but in honesty, I think carbon is a more sensible option.

Cost is not too much of an issues, £1k is fine, £1.5k maybe as a top line.

Any thoughts?

ransos
    Free Member

If you want to go disc, how about Mason? Internal cables, Di2 compatible and threaded BB. I’ve just bought a Definition and it’s lovely.

Gotama
    Free Member

Mason Cycles. Either his alu Definition or the steel Resolution. Both get cracking write ups on road.cc with the tester buying a Definition frame for himself. Just ordered a Definition for myself in fact.

Bah, got distracted mid post and beaten to it!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Praxis BB for your current frame?

moff
    lunge

Upgraded BB, Hope in this case is already in place, it’s made little or no difference.
    Don’t want disks at the moment as I want to move my existing wheels and build onto a new frame.
    Those Mason frames, nice though they are, aren’t quite what I’m looking for.

MrSmith
    Free Member

chose the frame you want and worry about the BB later.
    a praxis or wheels MFG bb. not a BB-30 adapter but a BB that will always have parallel bearings and is 2 halves screwed together as one unit.
    Due to not wanting to deal with BB30 i asked for a BSA bb on my last custom frame but those Italians like to do their own thing so it turned up with a BB-30. currently using a wheelsMFG bb with no creaks and have a praxis one spare ready to use if/when the bearings eventually go in the WMFG one (i’ll get them pressed out and replaced)

lunge

chose the frame you want and worry about the BB later.

I did that and ended up for a creaky pressfit BB. Logical or not, I now want a frame with a threaded BB.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I can’t think of any modern carbon frame that has a threaded BB at the price range your talking about (which clearly limits your choices).

The Colnago C60 uses a hybrid BB, with proprietary threaded cups that then accept press fit cartridge bearings, but that’s about three times your budget.

My Condor (Leggero) has a press fit BB30 and it’s been fine; no creaks no issues. I think that merely suggests that the creaking issue is more about the frame than the BB specification.

I’d never suggset you don’t buy a new frame because what’s not to like about buying a new frame, but I would suggest that you make your spec list ‘I want something that doesn’t creak’ rather than ‘I want something with a threaded BB’.

That said a Genesis Volare 853 would do the job as would a Condor Acciaio (the Super Acciaio should also be considered as a good example of my point above. It’s BB30, so press fit, but it’s in a steel housing so the tolerances are likely to be better and less likely to creak).

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Praxis option FTW IMO

ransos
    Free Member

Cost is not too much of an issues, £1k is fine, £1.5k maybe as a top line.

Thinking about it some more, £1.5k would buy you a very nice steel custom frame from Rourke.

matt007
    Free Member

Yeah dont worry about BB option, Ive got a stumpy carbon with PF30 BB and a CAAD10 with BB30, both running praxis works adapters to use shimano 24mm, both silent and rock solid many miles in.

lunge

So, this Praxis option, anyone got a link for the PF86 version? I can find a BB30 one but not this size.

hatter

Aren’t all the Pinarello’s still using threaded BB’s

Italian of course, but threaded.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Steel, carbon and alloy frames here: http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=54&sub=129&ord=2

The steel one looks good!

Some more here: http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=54&sub=125&ord=2

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about a Planet X?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Or, keep your eye out for old Cannondales/Giants on ebay; great frames with threaded BBs

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nice road frame with a BSA threaded BB’ is closed to new replies.