Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Nice pub/restaurant in the Peak District?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Will be taking our gert out tonight for a meal, somewhere in the Peak.

Any suggestions for a nice pub type restaurant. Not a special occasion, so no Michelin stars please!

Any ideas?

Pieface

The Milestone just outside of Hathersage is nice, better than the Fox House.

Loads of people will say the Cheshire Cheese but its not that great.

footflaps

It’s a big place the Peak District – North, South?

Last place I ate at was The Plough in Hathersage – was quite good.

hora
    Free Member

Although nice pubs I wouldn’t chose to take someone to either the Yorkshire Bridge or Ladybower Inn specifically for food (next to Ladybower).

The pub next to Edale station is ‘better’ for food but not a destination for food IMO.

Tick/also watching this thread as it’d form part of a nice day out as well.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

white lion in great longstone

/end of thread

Pook

the plough is too pretentious these days. Scotsman’s pack in hathersage is far better

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Good suggestions guys, thanks.

Will be (cough)shopping(cough) in Meadowhell this afto, then travelling back through the Peak to Belper, and we like the scenic routes. thought it would be nice to stop off for dinner.

Scotsmans Pack or Lion at Longstone are sounding good so far.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Monsal Head used to do nice food and en route.
    The Claret and Wossit at Rowsley is also en route and pretty decent.
    If you like Indian food, there’s Sanghams in Hathersage or the Curry Cabin in Hope -both good.
    If you drop down from Owler Bar there’s the Chequers (not been in ages but it was great food)

Writing this makes me realise how few pubs I have been to in the past 5 years!

Oops – nearly forgot the Samuel Fox at Bradwell – nice food, use it for business visitors and the Rising Sun is ok on the Hathersage Castleton Rd. Bulls Head in Castleton has been refurbed and is ok too.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Bulls Head in Ashford is immense

jfletch
    Free Member

Cricket Inn in Totley (edge of sheffield) is the best pub for food that I have been to in that area. Not technically in the Peak District but you can see it from the window!.

If you drop down from Owler Bar there’s the Chequers (not been in ages but it was great food)

This is on the road from Sheffield down towards Froggatt. It isn’t down from Owler Bar, dropping down from Owler Bar will take you to Baslow and the back entrance to Chatsworth.

footflaps

Yep, second the Chequers at Froggatt – nice place.

ac282

I had a good meal in the Lamb inn near Chinley Head a couple of years ago.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@jfletch, sorry perhaps should have been clearer. Out of Sheff on Abbeydale Rd to Owler Bar. B6054 to A625, turn left and it’s down the hill on your left.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Ended up at the White Lion in Great Longstone. Very nice, good food. Started to fill up around 7:30pm, so good job we got there early.

Meadowhall first, bought her a couple of tops and some warpaint, then a nice surprise unplanned meal in a proper country pub. Oh I’m getting good at this 😉

Good to get the other recommendations too, for picking up future brownie points 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Nice pub/restaurant in the Peak District?’ is closed to new replies.