Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Nice places near cardiff ?
  • justa
    Free Member

Staying near Cardiff for a few days – bit of biking but also family time

Anywhere nice to visit – say within about an hour of Cardiff, think we area staying just south of Cardiff…

thanks 🙂

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Afan, is just down the road and very nice, with plenty of trails. Afan Lodge is a good place to eat to from what i have been told and read.

davesmum
    Free Member

Gower Peninsula for beautiful coastline

justa
    Free Member

cheers ron – i’ll be biking there…

daves mum – is that within an hour ?

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

second vote for the Gower tis lovely, probably 45 mins from Cardiff depending on traffic i reckon

justa
    Free Member

yeah been to tenby and walked the coastal paths – tis lovely

but 2 hrs according to multi map – 45 mins seems a bit optimistic

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

tenby is quite a way further on than the gower.

google maps suggest 1 hr 4 mins from central cardiff to mumbles head, so should be doable in an hour.

justa
    Free Member

ahh I see – that bit there!

cool – thanks, will do that 🙂

So Mumbles Head – anywhere else or is it nice all the way round ?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

justa, forgot to add that my little bro is the head chef at the lodge…

sorry for the blatent plug

nostoc
    Free Member

The waterfalls in the limestone country between Pontneddfechan and Ystradfellte is my favourite walk in South Wales. Probably about an hour from Cardiff.

justa
    Free Member

cool – thanks folks !!

molgrips
    Free Member

What kind of thing are you after? And why Cardiff?

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

rhossili

rhossili is also lovely just a few miles further on from mumbles.

if you are a dr who fan you will recognise the beach!

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t have to drive an hour from Cardiff to find something nice.

hitman
    Free Member

About 10 mins away:
    Try Castell Coch, just to the north of Cardiff, lovely walks and some nice trails. Also the Wenallt for walks.
    About 30 mins away:
    Further up the same valley are the start of the Brecon Beacons just above Merthyr Tydfil – Pen y Fan(highest mountain in South Wales, lovely walks and some good trails.

JulianA
    Free Member

[url=http://www.breconmountainrailway.co.uk/]Brecon Mountain Railway?[/url]

Dan-yr-Ogof show caves?

You don’t get to see the REALLY good bit of the cave, but it’s not a bad trip as I recall.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

St Fagans in Cardiff is a nice day out with kids (depending on ages). Great big park with a bit about history of wales and lots of things to see and do.

crazy-legs

Castell Coch (nearest village is Tongwynlais) is nice for woodland walks (and biking), especially at this time of year, it’ll be a carpet of bluebells. 🙂
    Caerphily Castle is worth a visit if you’re in any way interested in history.
    And the best pub meal ever can be had at The Maenllwyd Inn at Rudry just up the hill from Caerphily.

Plenty to do in Cardiff too, there’s art galleries, museums, shopping, cinemas, plenty of parkland, the castle etc. Maindy Sports Centre just north of Cardiff centre too if you fancy a swim or something, you don’t have to be a member.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Remember Caerphilly Castle is also the 3rd biggest castle in Europe …. or it was in it’s time .. not anymore looking at the ruins of it! How about velodrome in Newport to have a go at riding there??

oomidamon

Can’t believe nobody else has said it yet but ENGLAND!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Castell Coch (nearest village is Tongwynlais) is nice for woodland walks (and biking)

Yeah, you can spend a great 20 minutes there riding the 3 or 4 miles of trails 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Nice places near cardiff ?’ is closed to new replies.