Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Nice pen for under £50?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Ideally rollerball or smooth ballpoint

waveydavey
    Free Member

I can recommend Lamy pens, Quirky German made pen lovelyness. The Al-star and Safari are decent value and no need to spend £50.

Lamy rollerballs

jekkyl

you can chew the end too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Jekkyl beat me to it!

£50 pen.. roflcopter…

jekkyl

lol. yours crikey?

Cougar

Crikey’s letter is a spoof (but very funny); BIC weren’t amused. The chap who wrote it has done loads.

Jamie
    Free Member

lol. yours crikey?

It was a hoax, like the webuyanycar one, if I remember right.

Cougar

Google would suggest that I’m getting mixed up; it is a parody but it’s original creator isn’t known.

The WBAC one was one Jamie Jones, it would appear.

EDIT: sorry Jamie, I’d just independently read the article you’d linked to. What you just said.

cranberry
    Free Member

A Lamy Accent – I have a couple of the fountain pens and they are very nice to write with, but there is also a rollerball versions.

Clut Pens – clicky

I’ve used Cult Pens a number of times and they are very efficient at sending things out to you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Get a classic off of ebay.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 on Cult Pens. Ace shop. Excellent customer service.

This would be my recommendation: Lamy 2000 ball point I have the fountain pen – both the (black) Makrolon and stainles steel versions. Actually, I have serveral other Lamy (and other make) fountain pens, but we’re in danger of straying off into pen geekery….

colournoise

+more for both Lamy and Cult Pens.

As a bit of a pen geek, currently also liking Monteverde, E+M, OHTO and TWSBI.

BigJohn

Lamy for me. I do a lot of hand drawing to illustrate the bedrooms & kitchens I plan to fit for customers and I exclusively use a Lamy ballpoint. Last for ages, never blob and a good solid line. The 3-sided grip is comfortable too.

stumpy01

http://www.sheaffer.com/en/writing-instruments/500

I got my Bro-in-Law one of these for being usher at my wedding. I think it was about £30 and is really nice; not too heavy, nicely weighted and writes very smoothly.

We got him the all-chrome one, but they do a black with chrome trim one that looks nice too.

prawny

Pilot 78G fountain pen. £8ish and writes like a biro but neater, can’t use a bic anymore.

Going to get myself a capless decimo when I’m less broke.

CountZero

The Fisher Space Pens write really nicely, and are around £15 for the Matt black version, but you can make your own for around two-thirds that, by buying a WHSmith black lacquered ball-point, which is around a fiver, and replacing the Parker-compatible refill with a Parker-compatible Space Pen refill. Looks very similar to the Fisher, apart from a chrome clip, and a small chrome band round the barrel. I really like the way they write, nice and smooth, and on various surfaces.
    And if you happen to lose it, it’s not going to break your heart or the bank, either, and is easily replaced.
    Just did a quick search, and the ‘Cap-o-Matic*’ Space pen is less than thirteen quid on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Space-Cap-O-Matic-Ballpoint-Pen/dp/B001E103CY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388430567&sr=8-3&keywords=fisher+space+pen
    *yeah, I know! Just means you click the cap. Americans. 🙄

Cougar

That’s a good point actually,

Fountain pens aside, all this “writes really nicely” guff is nothing to do with the pen; a £50 pen writes as nicely as a £500 pen and a £5 pen if they’ve all got the same refill in them.

Sure, you can wax lyrical about a pen that’s well balanced or comfortable to hold, or is built to last, but ultimately you’re spending fifty sovs on a pen because it’s a Nice Thing rather because of any inherently superior properties in the way it writes. Which is perfectly fine, but it’s perhaps helpful to have a little focus?

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Lamy Studio rollerball in imperial blue. Approx. £40.

crikey
    Free Member

Lamy get my vote, although I use the ink pens.

CountZero

Cougar, that’s a very good point, well made. That’s why I like my Fisher and ‘FrankenFisher’ pens; they look nice, they’re comfy to write with, they write smoothly,, and they’re not stupidly pricy. They’re also slim enough to tuck into a wallet, diary, or the sleeve pockets on my flying jacket.
    Parker do a really nice Urban series, which are wasp-waisted, and really nice to hold, but if I bought one, I’d only put a Fisher refill in, adding five quid to the twenty four quid they already cost.

Cougar

It was specifically the Space Pen comment which prompted that post. I have the classic ‘bullet’ Space Pen, and along with my Swiss Army Knife it’s fallen into the category of “gadgets I initially didn’t get the point of until I owned one and now couldn’t live without(*).” My Space Pen would probably have done fewer miles in its lifetime than if it were actually in low Earth orbit.

And yes, it’s a Nice Thing. But it’s also a great travel pen, well built, and when mine broke after years of abuse their customer service was Apple levels of awesomeness.

(* – I should probably find a catchier moniker for that)

chewkw
    Free Member

My choice would be both of these:

Fisher Space Pen AG7E – £55.50, if you can extend your budget a little bit more.

Zebra F-701 – £4.55, at this price you should have plenty of cash left so buy a few to stab someone …

😆

Merak

Mont Blanc although you’ll need a few more sheckles you pleb. 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Nice pen for under £50?’ is closed to new replies.