Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nice light Rigid Disc Forks – 420mm ?????
  • Rik
    Free Member

Found out my superlight full carbonTrigon Forks don’t like cycle touring with panniers – bit of a scary side to side wobble at speed.

So thinking not carbon, so not Pace either.

Need to be disc only around 420mm length, light and strong. Would love a pair of Black Sheep Ti forks but to spendy.

So what’s out there, Salsa was first choice but no disc only at the shorter 420mm length

Ideas please ????

curlie467
    Free Member

I have some alloy forks off a Marin hybrid, disc only and pretty sure they were around 420mm a-c. Nice and light at 720g too. Try looking at something like these maybe?

lordjenks
    Free Member

may i ask you why you think alloy or steel forks will be stronger than carbon?
    btw. exotic for alu forks but their carbon ones are lighter and stronger…

Rik
    Free Member

I don’t think they will be stronger – but my trigon forks are 400g and are very solid in usual use. But loaded up with panniers it put stress on the forks in a completely different way to normal riding. They are very stiff fore and aft but the high centre of gravity of the panniers at speed sent a sideways wobble through the forks and they clearly are not designed for this type of stress and they got well out of shape.

Steel have been used on touring bikes forever – there has to be a reason for it.

But I don’t want to replace 400g forks with 1200g plus crap low quality steel forks. So there must be a quality fork out there at a mid weight……

Rik
    Free Member

Any other ideas?

jameso

Old project 2s or the Salsas and get a disc mount fitted?

Rik
    Free Member

Any others at the 420mm which are quality items.

The best I can find are the Vicious Forks / Independent Fabrication but i’d prefer to order something from the UK.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Sorry, you can’t/shouldn’t have discs

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornMtTuraForkLoRes.pdf

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Need different offset and therefore trail not material I’d say

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nice light Rigid Disc Forks – 420mm ?????’ is closed to new replies.