Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Nice lesson in hardtail riding.
  • alpin
    Free Member

Olly – Member

does riding a 5-6" FS around cannock make you feel gay now?
    cause it bloody should do!

😀

was talking about this yesterday to my fs mate. for what most of us ride we simply don't need loads of travel and a soft rear end.

buy the hype!

alpin
    Free Member

my first double post.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Weight has **** all to do with it,

Oh but it does, you see to change direction (up and down) over the bumps takes a LOT more energy and impact when you're twice the weight of someone else. I notice a difference in smooth-ness of my own riding +- 2 stone, despite my skillz not having changed much in that time.

But ultimately he is a nice clean rider, I love watching riding like that. And the music seems fine to me.

Without having invested any time in envelope calcs, I'd guestimate that a light person is better on a hardtail (lighter to bounce over stuff and flick about over good lines) and a heavy person is better on a full sus (able to utilise the long travel and momentum to "make" lines, with tougher kit that withstands the impacts)

poppa
    Free Member

Shurely you should still be able to absorb most of the impacts with your legs even if you are heavy?

BigDummy
    Free Member

The last time I did an uplift day, there were a lot of very small (young) people on huge full-sus bikes. They seemed to be struggling to get the bikes moving around.

Presumably the issue is more about power: weight ratios than it is about absolute weight. (Although for many of us anyway, increased weight is largely in the belly department and only affects the ratio and therefore the perfromance in the wrong way.)

scotabroad

Eeek, I am humbled…

alpin
    Free Member

search for "Testing the Blender" he's very nimble on his HT

RealMan
    Free Member

Guy can ride well. But someone should let him know his sister called. She wants her jeans back.

walleater

lyons – Member

sorry, but thats not THAT impressive. Yeah, he is fast, and quite smooth, but it's nothing really special. The trails dont really look that difficult either.

Just my humble opinion.

Ho ho ho….where's your video then? Have you ridden the harder lines on In Deep? Hit the narrow gap jump on the new Whistler DH course (or even seen it on the way up to check the landing?)?

lyons
    Free Member

well, i dont 'have a video'. And no i havent seen those things you have talked about, as i have never been to whistler. your point is?

walleater

My point is that you don't have a point 😉

Although I'll make it a bit easier for you and point out that those are some of the features on the video that you clearly have no knowledge about.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Lovely riding of great trails. What's not to like (apart from the usual rock-lite soundtrack, as noted above)? I have a pretty good inkling that I'll never get to Whistler so it's nice to see them. And to see them being ridden well on a hardtail. Hats off all round.

lyons
    Free Member

Well, my point is, yeah he is a good rider, but he's not exactly going to start bothering the likes of steve smith, brendon faircloigh or other young riders. And neither am i for that matter. 😥

rs
    Free Member

Well, my point is, yeah he is a good rider, but he's not exactly going to start bothering the likes of steve smith, brendon faircloigh or other young riders. And neither am i for that matter.

Crap point poorly made. Jeez there's some grumpy bastards on here. How can anyone watch that and not be impressed.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

How can anyone watch that and not be impressed.

I'm only guessing but the following mathematical formula might help…

ego>skill=gobshite

It's just a basic hypothesis but I'm still waiting for it to be disproven.

Kuco

Having ridden Whistler (on a Enduro sworks) I take my hat off to him, the guy obviously enjoys riding his bike. There's a lot of young and even old riders like this out there.

radoggair
    Free Member

good riding, well put together video but would agree with some others that it doesn't look all that hard but would require riding light, smooth and feathering the brakes. I would guess though that some off those sections were taking more than 2 or 3 takes to get right but overall think he has what is required for a fast rider so kudos to him. Would love to try it one day myself

Hated the soundtrack ( whats wrong with Elton John?) and why o why the jeans. Restriction+sweat = not good

lyons
    Free Member

Radoggair just managed to put into words what i was actually trying to say there. Thankyou.

the_lecht_rocks

reminds me of my week in glentress and my recent post, if i may :

i've only EVER ridden GT black on a hardtail. couple of weeks ago i rode it on my Ti456 + 819's on 2.35" Fat Alberts with a FLOAT 32 @ 140mm.
    this set up was absolutely perfect, conditions were perfect [dusty / dry] and i had the whole of the route to myself [t'was a tuesday].
    i have to say it was a brilliant day – britney got a good spanking, and deliverence was a blur. the bitch got thrashed and i had what amounted to one of the best days riding ever.
    another highlight was the duston the final descent through falla, both wheels drifting before givingh out and carving the turn. i'm still smiling in my re-collection of that ride – beautiful.
    i had the opportunity of taking the FS'er but why ? it's groomers all the way and so much more fun on a HT.

each to their own i s'pose…..

i don't know why lots and lots of people haul 5 or 6 inch of travel around with them other than for marketing kaka and the compennsation factor……..?
    each to their own i s'pose……….. 😀

Smee
    Free Member

I know three guys, two on here that would whip that guys arse on a hardtail. I'm guessing the dab a couple of minutes in was closely followed by a lie down.

rs
    Free Member

to be fair TLR, you can't really say people are hauling extra weight, maybe compared to you Ti456 but my hardtail, probably the one in the video posted and many others are probably a fair bit heavier than many of the 5-6 inch travel bikes out there, think i'm about 31-32lbs just now but wouldn't change anything.

rs
    Free Member

ps. can everyone else moaning about being better than the guy in the video please post their own videos, always good to see some fast hardtail riding 😀

crazy-legs

You know how watching sport always makes it look really easy. That's because they're GOOD. You/we are not good. Or not *that* good anyway. If you *are* that good, feel free to post a video of your own riding for the expert critique of the STW forum.

Sure there are no doubt quite a few professional riders who would beat the guy in a straight DH race. But I'm guessing that <1% of people on this forum would even be able to keep him in sight! Can't you just admire it for being a well put together video (admittedly with a shite soundtrack) showcasing some excellent riding and scenery and stop the "I know a guy who's brother's mate's dad would waste him"?

/sigh

the_lecht_rocks

looking forward to my Whistler trip this summer even more now 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

For the guys saying that the trails don't look that hard:-

Trust me, stuff like In Deep and Goats Gully are very much several leagues above the majority of UK trails, natural or trail centre. I'm classed as a pretty decent rider by all accounts and a lot of that stuff I could ride, but it was an excercise in survival rather than the effortless flow that guy has.

lyons
    Free Member

well, ive yet to find a descent on a trail centre that is verging on being a challenge at all. So what U.k trails would you say it does compare to?

phiiiiil

Never mind how fast he is, that is one seriously wide handlebar! Just think how many lights, GPSes, bells, map-holders and baskets you could fit on that… 🙂

rs
    Free Member

lyons, I think his point is that there are none in the UK.

lyons
    Free Member

It is a seriously Gash colour though. Dude.

walleater

I think Crazy Legs sums it up! Having had the pleasure (and sometimes 'pleasure') of guiding plenty of Brits on trails such as the ones in the video, I can take most of what's being said on here with a whole bucket of salt.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Dunkeld would probably come close, most of our stuff isn't steep enough. Someone needs to get some canadian mountains shipped over here.

walleater

lyons – Member

well, ive yet to find a descent on a trail centre that is verging on being a challenge at all. So what U.k trails would you say it does compare to?

LOL – you must be trolling. Anyway, none. None are even remotely similar.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I sure as hell wish I was 10% as smooth as him

radoggair
    Free Member

You know how watching sport always makes it look really easy. That's because they're GOOD. You/we are not good. Or not *that* good anyway. If you *are* that good, feel free to post a video of your own riding for the expert critique of the STW forum.

i wholly disagree with you there. Not denying there good but to suggest we are not good ( or that good) because we dont have a video made, with numerous angles and cameras, and took prob a full day to shoot then that is pathetically stupid. For the record, i feel (and others on here would agree) i am good and would keep up with this person on a bike no probs, and then whoop his ass on a climb, some xc singletrack and over the course of a long days ride!!

Smee
    Free Member

That is a race I would love to see. My money would be on you.

lyons
    Free Member

I'm not 'trollijng' Im just stating it the way i see it. Ive ridden newcastleton (?) glentress, innerliethen, Ae, Afan, Cwm Carn, Coed y brenin, the chlimax trail. I think that it is it. And i still believe they aren't that difficult. Sure, they can be made to be difficult.

coogan
    Free Member

For the guys saying that the trails don't look that hard:-

Trust me, stuff like In Deep and Goats Gully are very much several leagues above the majority of UK trails, natural or trail centre.

He's right. Stuff over there makes Glentress look even tamer than it already is. I've done a lot of what's in that video on 7" travel and was battered/knackered by the end. Kid done good in my eyes.

lyons
    Free Member

Can i join in?

walleater

This would be worth videoing 😀

Smee
    Free Member

There are trails of similar difficulty to the ones in the video in the tweed valley, and the witches trails amongst others. Just because they aren't well known and not signed, doesn't mean that they're not there.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Nice lesson in hardtail riding.’ is closed to new replies.