Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Nice hotels in Manchester – recommendations please
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Going to the theatre in May for my wife’s birthday and fancied having a treat for once (as we are hoping to have a night or two without our kiddies). Can anyone recommend anywhere nice – boutique-y, 4 star possibly 5 star. We have stayed at The Lowrey before which we liked but not sure about going back. Would want it to be nice and central too so we can just wander around, do some shopping, have a drink etc without faffing with taxis.

Also, whilst I am on this topic – anywhere good for food? Any type – we will happily try anything.

Thanks in advance.

whitleyjohn20
    Free Member

Great John Street Hotel
    Malmaisson
    The Midland
    Aurora Hotel

Bregante

Ramada’s nice

Oops. Meant the Radisson Edwardian

Shadow
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the Radison Edwardian and the hotels restaurant Opus one. We went for my wifes 30th and it was rather good

http://www.radissonedwardian.com/manchester-hotel-gb-m2-5gp/gbmanche

voodoo_chile

We stayed at the crowne plaza few weeks ago ….get an exec room

dooosuk
    Free Member

Great john street…boutique hotel with around 30 rooms…excellent suites & rooftop jacuzzi.

Malmaison…bigger boutique & busier.

Radison Edwardian…rooms are nice but not as special as above two, restaurant excellent though & had pool, sauna facilities etc.

Restaurants…El Rincon for tapas, Opus one at radison edwardian, berm brazil for meat, market restaurant, room, grill on the alley, or jamies italian has just opened.

crikey
    Free Member

Eat at Cafe Istanbul, its on t’web.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yep Radisson Edwardian is nice, I was there for a product launch a couple of weeks ago, nice rooms, good food & service.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think the St John St one has been recommended by my wife’s friend too – that one is definately going to be looked at.

tiff
    Free Member

Another vote for Gt John Street, defo top of my list. Food and rooms are excellent

After that it would be the Radisson and then the Mal

scuttler

Great John Street. Stayed four times now and will be heading back soon. The ‘cheap’ rooms are fantastic so don’t worry about the more expensive ones unless there’s s good deal or you wangle an upgrade.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at the Radisson Edwardian a few times.

Nice rooms especially if you get a suite. The one we had, had an internal balcony which was odd

Restaurant and pool are good.

The way they’ve converted the old Free Trade Hall makes for an impressive entrance.

martin555
    Free Member

Did the Midland last week with the wife, for her birthday, really nice and all the staff really friendly, which can’t be easy in a big hotel. Free wifi in room, pool .gym, etc. Cheap to from booking.com, but got a good deal.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Midlands very nice and quite central.
    McDonald Piccadilly next to the station is very modern and also nice,personally thinks its better than The Midland.
    Palace Hotel on Oxford Road. Stopped here last weekend and the excalibur Rooms are very very nice. Quote a old and Dark building and a bit of a maze but its a nice hotel if the above two are booked up.

Ideal location also.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Sacha’s is the most central hotel, with the added bonus of containing the nicest bar in Manchester. The best restaurant is Ciao Bella on Portland Street for authentic Italian cuisine. Just check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Jury’s Inn and Sacha’s….hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

He asked for 4 or 5 * Boutique Hotels. His only options based on that are GJS or Malmaison.

lunge

Have a look at The Place apartments. Really nice

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds like GJS is winning by a country mile. Now to see what sort of deal I can get…

Thanks all 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

Gjs trend to reduce their rooms to about £89 a couple of weeks beforehand. Keep checking the website if it’s a while yet.

RustySpanner

GlitterGary – Member

Sacha’s is the most central hotel, with the added bonus of containing the nicest bar in Manchester.

Jesus H Corbett, Sacha’s is a rat infested, scurvy ridden pox hole.
    The nicest bar in Manchester? I’d rather drink John Willie Lees than sup in there.

Good troll or bad drugs, which is it?

avdave2

And why on earth in this day and age you still have to pay for chuffing wireless when the likes of blinking Travelodge do it for free is beyond me!

I stay in a lot of hotels all over the world and the general trend is that the more expensive they are the more you pay for wifi. This is because the more expensive hotels have a higher proportion of business travellers and conference attendees who can put the charge on expenses along with their mini bar bills.Radisson is one exception as they offer free wifi in a lot of countries.

I worked and stayed at The Midland in January and it’s good for such a big conference hotel.

scuttler

Charging for wi-fi is because the big hotels with the crappy interactive TV services of an ‘adult’ nature lose out big time if the wi-fi’s free as that’s where the discerning gent would rather go for his fix. That and the expenses comment up above.

davetrave
    Free Member

Yet another vote for Great John Street. We’ve stayed there 5 or 6 times in the last 4 years, usually have a short stay during the Christmas market, in every one of the 5 standards of room they’ve got – upgraded from middle to top level on one stay, hurrah! The rooftop jacuzzi is great, with fantatsic views over south Manchester and the Corrie set, first time we stayed it was snowing and settling on the roof as we sipped champers in the jacuzzi… Even the “basic” rooms are very nice, tasteful and individual, good bar, excellent staff and the prices aren’t too over the top. Good location as well, just off Deansgate, close to Oxford Road, 5 minutes walk to the bars (Dukes 92 in particular) and restaurants around the canal basin and if you arrive by train the free city centre bus routes have a stop about 30 seconds walk away.

hora
    Free Member

MalMaisson if it was me and I’ve got a wad of cash like MF. Does lastminute do the secret hotels for Manchester? Could be worth doing the google search on that…

AlexSimon

I haven’t stayed in any Manchester hotels as I live there, but I went to a wedding reception at Great John Street and it was pretty cool. The bride and bridess loved their room too.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

McDonald or Abode

dooosuk
    Free Member

McDonald or Abode

Neither of which are Boutique hotels.

avdave2

big hotels with the crappy interactive TV services of an ‘adult’ nature lose out big time

av techs have never paid for those TV services. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

The bride and bridess loved their room too.

I think the operative word is enjoyed

bikemonkey
    Free Member

We stayed in a basic room atthe GJS and found it a little cramped, but the facilities make up for it. I imagine this would be much better with a bigger room.

Raddison is great and has a nice (but very expensive) bar.

If you can stretch to a suite the Malmaison is nice although not particularly central.

Value wise the Macdonald is great but, as above, not central and not boutique.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve got a wad of cash like MF

It is a once in a very long time treat. Our girls will be almost three and we have only had one night away from them in that time. And child three is going to be a long time coming if we never have any ‘us’ time 8)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ended up at GJS (in a classic suite).

Really wouldn’t recommend it – view of a wall (about 10ft from the window) quite small for a suite.

And they had a bloody wedding on so kept awake till 1am with the noise of music and jumping on the dance floor. Then woken at 7am by kids running in the room above – not what we wanted for our one night away together.

Will be speaking to the management on check-out – I feel they should have warned us there was a wedding on and that we wouldn’t be able to use some facilities because of it too.

Rubbish.

geoffj

so kept awake till 1am

I thought that was the point! 😆

ourmaninthenorth

Didsbury House Hotel – nice l’il boutique place in a nice suburb (I used to live there – not in the hotel. I’m not that louche!) Linky

Eleven Didsbury Park – that one’s ^^^ sister place round the corner. More linky

Both are owned by the same people who own Great John St (GJS being their newest).

EDIT – ignore all that. You’ve been and didn’t enjoy it. Suggest you b-ll-ck them thoroughly.

hora
    Free Member

TBH you should have asked to be moved asap.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Asked to be moved at 1am when we were in bed? If we had been staying another night we would have done but really couldn’t be arsed at that time.

Had a polite word with the duty manager and got a discount though.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Nice hotels in Manchester – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.