Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nice Birmingham pubs and Bars.
  • jkomo

Tomorrow night, Central Brum: I know I’ve asked before, but in three years I assume there are some new interesting bars going on.
    Real ale, quirky bars, good music, whatever really (not Broad Street type places).
    Also need somewhere to watch the rugby in the afternoon.

prawny

Pure bar and grill sounds like itd fit the bill, you’ll need deeper pockets than me though (not hard!) £8 for a scotch egg! Bloody lovely though, i had three at a work do.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

+1 for Pure Bar.

Not far away the Old Joint Stock or the Wellington (they actually back on to each other) are both decent. However worth noting that Cardiff are playing Villa tomorrow and there is usually trouble, but these places tend to keep that lot out.

prawny

Post office vaults is ace too, no food or music, but several hundred on europes finest bottled beers.

Steer clear of the briar rose or the hill if theres a match on, it’ll be bedlam.

jkomo

Thanks I’ll check it out.

pondo

+1 for the Wellington if you do the real ale thing.

rOcKeTdOg

If the weather is dry it’ll be rammed coz of the xmas market. If you fancy a 10 minute walk try the anchor in Digbeth, decor not changed since victorian times,many many ales on tap & discount per pint for camra members

singlespeedstu

I can recommend this place.
    The breakfast stout I had in there the other week was worth the short walk up the hill to get to it.

http://www.blackcountryales.co.uk/the-pubs/the-craven-arms/

alanl
    Free Member

The Wellington is OK for the beer, but it isnt a nice place, just a typical city pub, albeit with 30+ beers on.
    The Rose Villa on Warstone Lane is nice, 10 minutes walk away from the centre, but I dont know what it’s like on match days, it is far enough away to be free of away fans, and a little too classy for home fans, so should be free of football. I dont think they have a TV for the rugby.

hora
    Free Member

Only one. Cherry Reds. It’s awesome.

Abit kooky, Belgian beers, eclectic furniture.

jkomo

I was wondering about Digbeth, anything lively or is it back to the Victoria Arms for that?
    Is there a properly good Kebab house for later?

Edit- not tried Cherry Reds, looks good.

Haze

Wellington, Purecraft bar as above.

Could also try Jekyll & Hyde, Botanist, Brew Dog

disco_stu
    Free Member

Sadly the landlords at the Craven Arms were changed by the brewery last week.

mechanicaldope

jekyll and hyde for a bit of Gin bar quirkiness.

jkomo

No ideas for the Rugby?

alanl
    Free Member

The Old Contemptibles is a good bet, at the back end of Snow Hill station.
    See here for other possibilities:
    Rugby live in Brum

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Apres on Summer Row for Rugby would be my shout…..maybe start in St Pauls Sq for some bars first?

The quaff bit of Nosh & Quaff……and then the one i can’t recall the name of round the corner from it. Also the Bacchus Bar…..hidden underneath a hotel…….

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Old Contemptables seconded for a nice place to start events / eat food…….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nice Birmingham pubs and Bars.’ is closed to new replies.