Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • NHS>Private>NHS?
  • benz
    Free Member

Went to GP with an issue – advised did not meet criteria for referral through NHS. Mentioned private healthcare and referred to consultant.

Result was removal of adenomas from colon.

Ok, these may not have progressed to something more threatening, but it did make me think about what might have happened if the private route had not been possible…

So if one decided to pay for an investigation – scan or whatever – can one then go back to GP with results and progress through NHS?

eskay

I don’t know the answer to your particular question but I am very disillusioned with GPs. It is almost impossible to get a quick appointment with our GP. I was feeling ill a couple of months ago and tried to get an appointment that day but instead I was diagnosed over the phone as having a ‘virus’. Three days later I was in intensive care!

I really don’t know anyone in my family/friends/colleagues circles who has a good word to say about GPs nowadays.

Rob_S
    Free Member

I think you could but why would you want to wait if private insurance was already covering it?
    A few years ago I had some heart issues, was referred as I had private health insurance.
    A few weeks of intensive investigations later I was given the all clear but recommended to make some lifestyle changes and am now on medication for high blood pressure.
    Six months later I had a letter from my local hospital inviting me down for the first of the tests to start investigating my issue! The GP had not cancelled the NHS process after referring me.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I was feeling ill a couple of months ago and tried to get an appointment that day but instead I was diagnosed over the phone as having a ‘virus’. Three days later I was in intensive care!

Was it a virus? 😀

benz
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, nothing against the GP – who was likely considering symptoms against risk/probability, etc. Additionally GP’s really are the gate-keepers to the greater NHS treasure trove.

Unfortunately with their role there comes a huge responsibility and none of us make the right call 100% of the time.

However, if folks believe that things are not resolved to their satisfaction then it is our personal responsibility to care for our own health – including pursuing things if not 100% comfortable.

maccruiskeen

So if one decided to pay for an investigation – scan or whatever – can one then go back to GP with results and progress through NHS?

Of course you can, you can’t opt out of the NHS. And you wouldn’t want to in the UK private providers rely on there being an NHS to fall back on when things are too serious or complicated for them to deal with (and to deal with their cock ups – even with private care its an NHS ICU you wake up in when things go wrong).

benz
    Free Member

Rob_S

Thinking about having the cash to get an Ultrasound/MRI/CT with no health insurance and no ability to pay for anything beyond the initial scans, etc.

eskay

Was it a virus?

Funnily enough no!

lastuphills
    Free Member

Think my GP practice works on the principle that if you can manage to struggle to the phone and dial the right number you are not ill enough to warrant an emergency appointment ( I will qualify my statement that I have nothing against GPS or the lady/man at the end of the phone it’s the system/funding that is wrong)

benz
    Free Member

So….what do those near neighbours in Europe do differently to us to be ranked higher in various assessments of health care provision I wonder….

hot_fiat

The GP > Private Consultation for diagnosis > NHS route for fixing is one of the best ways to mix the two. It bypasses the inexcusable investigation waiting game and gets you out of having to be “looked after” in a private institution* should anything go wrong.

You can also find yourself bumped higher up the consultant’s NHS surgery waiting list as a result (but only if your surgeon is the person who you were referred to for investigation privately). Whether that’s an ethical faux-pas is another question entirely. I’d feel guilty, but not for very long.

*think expensive hotel with some brightly lit clean rooms and a night porter with 999 on speed dial.

totalshell

cant fault my GP.. proper old skool.. walk in sit down wait get seen.. no appointments no messing just a quiet hour waiting..

Drac

Funnily enough no!

What was it then?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

On the rare occasion I feel the need to visit the GP I (attempt to) do so because I’m concerned or my ailments have already “got worse”, so being told – as I always am – to come back if it gets worse is not very helpful.

woody21
    Free Member

Hot_fiat: I have done exactly the same with me knee saw consultant last week (private) he has put me on his NHS list (oddly in a private hospital) Did the same with a hernia repair a few years – got bumped up the list. If you can afford to go private, I would take it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘NHS>Private>NHS?’ is closed to new replies.