Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • NHS vs Private Dentistry
  • allyharp

Having just registered with an NHS dentist I’m wondering what the differences are, and whether it’s worth paying for private instead.

What does everyone here use?

As far as I’m aware there are completely private dentists, and then there are dentists who do a mixture of NHS work but also offer the opportunity to do things privately as well. For the latter is it just non-NHS (eg. cosmetic) work that they do privately, or will they do standard fillings etc privately too? In which case if it’s the same dentist in the same practice, what are the benefits of going private? And what are the benefits to the dentist in doing NHS, if they can earn more from private care?

mrmo
    Free Member

NHS,

private i suppose you might get nicer care, but as i am not convinced dentists don’t sometimes find work not convinced, but to be honest i don’t really care. i would rather not may private money.

ratherbeintobago

And what are the benefits to the dentist in doing NHS, if they can earn more from private care?

Which is exactly why NHS dentistry is in a mess. There is a school of thought which says that the (previous) Government ‘encouraged’ a lot of dental practices to stop offering NHS services when the current contract was negotiated, by making it uneconomic for them to continue NHS work.

jonba
    Free Member

I think nhs work is subsidised so the dentist gets a rebate on work done. I’m in the NE so the benefits of being Nhs are having some patients.

As mine does both I pick and choose depending on what is needed. I’ve gone private to jump the waiting list (it was an extra £30 on £50 to be seen in a week). Some cosmetic stuff is also not available on the NHS which pretty much covers anything beyond a basic hygienist appointment.

Stay with the NHS but ask what the benefits of one vs. the other are. A good dentist will be able to answer.

Davesport

As an end user it’s similar to private health care. My dentist does NHS & private patients. Going private means that you get an appointment time that suits your needs. You get the same level of care, although possibly not the same level of options when it comes to treatment.

I’ve got teeth like a caveman’s necklace 😥 I don’t want the NHS pulling them out !

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got teeth like a caveman’s necklace

PMSL! 😆

willard

Private here, but then my wife is a nurse at the practice, knows the dentist that treats me (as do I) and won’t let me go anywhere else.

fubar
    Free Member

Private here. The guy talks to me like a human being. Doesn’t rush as he allocates long appointment times (usually 45 minutes + even for simple filling). I get seen at my appointment time not 30 or 45 minutes late. He sorted out a few years worth of botched / rushed NHS fillings. That said I’ve had plenty of good NHS dentists before..just not so many good ones in the last 10 years but I’m sure there are still some around. I’d guess that as my guy owns the practice that the NHS dentists there will be much better than my previous one as I doubt he would tolerate poor dentistry (he still does some lecturing / teaching) ; I need to get on the list to move back to a decent NHS dentist and save some £££

Dibbs
    Free Member

We’ve been private for a long time, but due to some recent cancer treatment I’ve been advised to visit the Hygienist every three months @ £58 a pop, that works out at about £2 a minute. 😯

iamsporticus
    Free Member

WHY ARE WE HAVING A CIVIL DEBATE ABOUT THIS RATHER THAN EXPRESSING OUTRAGE THAT NHS DENTISTRY HAS BEEN EFFECTIVELY ALLOWED TO DIE IN THIS COUNTRY?

Sorry about that 🙂

But funny how we just accept that you cant get an NHS dentist, I certainly cant find one who will take me on

Imagine what would happen if GPs ever had the balls to chuck the NHS too……

nickc

Private: expensive materials, choice of appt time, snazzier uniforms…Some chat to make it feel like you’re getting your monies worth. Hand over your first born

NHS little choice of appts, cheaper materials, will be sufficient for your needs, but no more, probably less snazzy uniforms. can be as little as £18.00 for a check up going up to £200 ish for dentures. Probably won’t be able to get cosmetic work done. Will sort you out when the rip off private dentist **** it up, and then won’t see you at the weekend…

Take your pick

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

My dentist doesn’t seem to distinguish until it gets to the type of work being done, at which point you get to chose to suit your budget. I.e. NHS = cheaper = silver fillings, or pay the private uplift to get white.

Check-ups there do not distinguish between NHS and private and are charged at the same (NHS) price and can be organised at any time to suit. But again you can pay for a little extra spit and polish if you’ve got the spare cash.

Seems to work ok for me, and could even fit me in for a same day NHS repair when I cracked my tooth in half.

taxi25
    Free Member

NHS for me. But I can pick and mix with my dentist. If I want something done like a white filling I just pay extra.

piemonster

NHS, and if you’re NHS dentist was as lovely as mine you stay NHS

She’s very nice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘NHS vs Private Dentistry’ is closed to new replies.