Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • NHS Pension Choice….stick or twist?
  • sc-xc

There’s a few NHS people here – my wife has rec’d her pack. The 2008 scheme seems better if she works until at least 64, but considerably worse if she either retires before that or leaves the NHS.

She is 34 btw.

Is there a general consensus? Stick with the existing one?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stick for me.

sc-xc

Cheers TJ – I would imagine you have thoroughly looked into it!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not really quite honestly – its the raised retirement age that I don’t like and a healthy dose of cycnisism that says it can’t be better

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m going to stick. Altohugh I’d like to leave before 80 (or whenever I get to retire) I know that I probably wont, and if I do leave my current role, it’d be for another NHS job (with more pay).

peteimpreza

The GF is sticking

sc-xc

I think that’s how we’re swaying. If the primary reason for the reform is to save money…it must be better to stick?

Cheers all.

Drac

Not got mine yet so not looked at it but my Uncle has offered to take look for me, he’s an accountant.

Sc-xc that was my thinking but when I asked my Uncle that he said there may be an incentive to get you to switch though even if you have to pay more to get more.

sc-xc

Let us know then Drac!

scruff
    Free Member

I havent looked at mine yet, I do have a view that anything I do choose will change again (and probably again) before I retire anyway, so its all a crock of shite. Plus I’ll probably leave the NHS once the economic upturn begins, if not before.

trb
    Free Member

Retire at 65 twist
    “Retire” at 55 Stick

My missus is sticking as at currently work levels she’ll be burnt out by 45 let alone 65! So the plan is to “retire” early and get a less stressful job to tick over with until proper retirement.

Drac

Let us know then Drac!

Will do when I get mine through and up to my Uncle.

scaredypants

had mine a while ago – deadline for decision was … 48hr before the hutton bollocks hit.

stick for me, still would be after “hutton” i think

can’t imagine them improving things with the new system (any things with any of their new systems)

bol

I joined the NHS two months too late to be on the old scheme. I wish I was though. My wife is and I think she is going to stick.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My wife (30) is sticking with the old one.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is this going round again, I’m sure it was about 18 months ago she got all the stuff. Or are they slow getting through it?

Drac

Is this going round again, I’m sure it was about 18 months ago she got all the stuff. Or are they slow getting through it?

Different regions and different age ranges get it at different times, you wife must have just nipped in though if she’s only 30.

Hmm!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers Drac. We’re in Scotland now, although she started in the NHS in England, perhaps that’s why.

Woody
    Free Member

I really must look at this properly as I’ve to make the decision later this year. Look forward to your Uncle’s findings Drac but as my age and length of service are very different to you I’ll have to try and work it out for myself.

I’m still annoyed that I didn’t know about transferring my private pension within the first year, which would have made a substantial difference. I also don’t trust any of the advisors where I work for this reason, and several others, including the obvious one pointed out by TJ etc. 👿

stayhigh

Me and my GF are both sticking with the old schemeafter advice from relative whose considerably more up on this kind of thing then we. Be good to hear an accountants point of view though so very interested Drac.

Drac

IIRC there’s also something about depending when you joined means you have no choice but I might be mistaken on that.

Cheers Drac. We’re in Scotland now, although she started in the NHS in England, perhaps that’s why.

No idea I know we’re not due to September this year up here for under 50s.

If I do get my Uncle to look I’ll post back but as we’re about the last then probably too late for most.

Spud

Stuck here, sent mine back last week. Seemed the best choice for me, not working for another 5 years for no great increase in benefits. If you joined in or after 2008 then you’re in the 2008 scheme and you have no choice (roughly).

Mind you if Hutton is taken up we may all be stuffed anyway, or am I misunderstanding it?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I am 33 and mrs j is 34, 12-13 years service each: we both ‘stuck’.

…although even then, with the scrapping of ‘mental health officer’ status I am actually 1 year further away from retirement than I was when i started 12 years ago!

bruneep

Mind you if Hutton is taken up we may all be stuffed anyway, or am I misunderstanding it?

Yup, Hutton would’ve been easier to accept if he had done the mp’s first, but they seem to be a bit Teflon when it come to their pension reforms.

I had no choice,I had to join my pension scheme way back in 1991. Now they are changing what i signed up for has the government mis sold me my pension?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘NHS Pension Choice….stick or twist?’ is closed to new replies.