Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • NHS Electronic Prescription Service
  • polarisandy
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of using or running this service for repeat meds?

In particular how do you order which of your meds you will be wanting for the next month?

Does the pharmacy just order them all, do you ring them and tell them which ones, do you order the next months when you pick up your current months, do you pre sign a pile of requests?

Bit of a particular question I know, but there is sure to be a pharmacist or person on here that uses it…

Thanks for any insights.

footflaps

I just log on with a week to go, select repeat prescription, tick the box and then collect the prescription from the GP a day or so later. Boots do a collect and deliver pharmacy thing, where they pick up the prescription and dispense it, but I’ve not signed up for that yet….

polarisandy
    Free Member

Aye thanks foot flaps but I think that is just online ordering, you still go to the gp to pick up a script. With EPS, no paper prescription is ever issued and either you don’t need to go to your gp to pick it up or your pharmacy doesn’t need to collect it. You just deal with the pharmacy.
    I just wonder what the process is for choosing which repeats get ordered.

docrobster
    Free Member

As a GP whose clinical system isn’t yet fully enabled for electronic prescriptions, I would imagine that the only difference for the patient would be needing to state which pharmacy the script is electronically sent to when ordering. The main difference is I will be clicking a mouse rather than scribbling on hundreds of bits of green paper every day. Can’t wait for it to happen really.

maccruiskeen

The main difference is I will be clicking a mouse rather than scribbling on hundreds of bits of green paper every day

does the technology exist for an indecipherable click?

iolo
    Free Member

Don’t doctors click the mouse for a prescription currently anyway?
    All they write here in wales is their signature

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’ve been using the online ordering system on my GPs website for a couple of years.
    There’s an online form to select the meds I need and the pharmacy I want to get them from. Then I go pick them up from the village pharmacy 2 or 3 days later. Simples.

Drac

My wife uses the on on our local surgery has for a few years, there’s an initial setup process where the repeat meds are authorised after that it’s up to her order them. I suspect there’s a fail safe in place to stop people over ordering.

I’ve never set mine up even though I have a repeat prescription because my meds on for demand use only I have a good few left from my last prescription so never needed to set it up.

DrP

Don’t doctors click the mouse for a prescription currently anyway?
    All they write here in wales is their signature

They’re talking about patients ordering repeats online etc…

DrP

polarisandy
    Free Member

Cheers all, bit confusing isn’t it?
    I was on about EPS rather than online ordering, though I guess both could be used together.
    Some of our non dispensing patients are getting ALL there repeat prescriptions ordered by the pharmacist rather than what they need. Which means medicines wasted, public money wasted and our drugs budget wasted.

The people who seem to have most to gain financially are now in charge if ordering your meds for you….
    We’ll bit of exaggeration and I’m sure it will work well with the big brands and 99% of independents but there will be a few disreputable pharmacists who see it as a license to rip the NHS.

pedlad

The NHS EPS is an England only system that allows gps to issue e- prescriptions and patients who are on regular mess and want to, to nominate a pharmacy to dispense their medicines. Despite the views of some established vested interests it is entirely up to the patient which English pharmacy you nominate.

It cuts out some patient hassle especially if used with repeat dispensing where gp issues 6 months and the pharmacy dispenses as and when. But EPS doesn’t do anything around the monthly request. Some pharmacies offer this but as mentioned some unscrupulous ones may just order everything each month without knowing if the patient needs it. Even some high st names retain a patient order when they hand over the last medicines for three weeks or so then release this to the GP. Not v clinically robust really.

<< vested interest>> pharmacy2u.co.uk/nhs is a repeat script service that can provide a phone or email reminder to stop you running out, then sends your instructed request to the GP for them to issue if appropriate. We then dispense from a central high tech pharmacy that is contracted to the NHS for distance selling. Your medicines can be delivered anywhere in uk that is convenient. <<vested interest>>

Main benefits for NHS are increased accuracy as less transcription, increased efficiency for gps and more so for the business authority that currently have to process billions of paper scripts.

totalshell

well i can give a unique insight..

i m a heavy prescription user ( i have an annual passport) and mrs tts is a pharmasict

so i use nhs electronic prescriptions exclusively

i ring quacks say i want xyz end of mrs tts downloads daily and bingo they come home with mrs tts

easy peasy lemon squeezy cant understand why its not compulsory frankly..

its cheaper and faster..

quack asks for 48 hrs notice before picking up a paper script but mrs tts has acess as soon as it is authorised which is usually within an hour of my phone call..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘NHS Electronic Prescription Service’ is closed to new replies.