Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 217 total)
  • NHS cuts – you're in charge – what services do you get rid of?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22767241 – that is an article saying that the NHS needs to be more brave in deciding which services to cut.

So – my question is – if you were in a position to be making that decision what services would you do away with?

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d be cutting out gastric bands for one, time for people to take responsibility for their own actions. Likewise smoking related illnesses.

IanMunro
    Free Member

IVF.
    Home help for fatties.
    Anything that happened at a trail centre.

That’s got to save hundreds.

Obviously anyone on benefits, twice the savings there to be had!

binners

I’d kill every third pensioner that turned up. Thus reducing the care and treatment bill, and also providing some excitement in their dull confused lives, with a game of state sponsored Russian Roulette

Its a win win

franksinatra

Not an NHS service as such but I would chop WRVS (or RVS as they are now called)

The well meaning but bumbling old ladies never, ever, seem to get the hang of operating the tills. They also occupy some of the most profitable retail space available which could be better used to return more money to the hospital.

Other than that I struggle to think of anything that wont make me sound all Daily Mail!

franksinatra

I’d be cutting out gastric bands for one, time for people to take responsibility for their own actions.

Your problem there is you will then spend more treating their weight related illnesses than the cost of the gastric band surgery!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d be cutting out gastric bands for one, time for people to take responsibility for their own actions. Likewise smoking related illnesses.

But both your ideas would end up costing the NHS more money…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Your problem there is you will then spend more treating their weight related illnesses than the cost of the gastric band surgery!

Not if you cut spending on treatment of obesity related illness you wont.

franksinatra

you can save a fortune by getting rid of all of the anesthetists and just getting everybody to MTFU.

legend
    Free Member

But both your ideas would end up costing the NHS more money…

Lets simplify then – healthcare for fatties and smokers

Edit: and if your ever abusive towards staff, you’re out too.

scaredypants

I’d be cutting out gastric bands for one, time for people to take responsibility for their own actions.

Your problem there is you will then spend more treating their weight related illnesses than the cost of the gastric band surgery! extraordinary rendition to somewhere that does really cheap surgery ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

What about drinkers and junkies?

woody2000

time for people to take responsibility for their own actions.

Does that included banning treatment for idiots who fall of their bikes? 😉

franksinatra

Would you therefore cut spending on all weight related illness, including anorexia?

If the suggestion is that people choose to be fat, you could apply that to people who crash cars, fall of bikes, burn themselves on a barbecue…………………………….. all of these people have an element of choice.

Why not just privatise the NHS. The greater the level of risk you expose yourself to, the higher your insurance premiums.

madhouse

I’d cut the tiers of ‘management’ for one – there’s bound to be a few roles that we could do without – consultancy gets the same treatment.

Maybe we should make them ask random people on the street if costs sound daft or not before approving projects – “£xxxm for an extention to the bosses office ok? …. no? …. declined!”.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The best thing IMO would be allow people to finish their own life.

The NHS spends a fortune keeping people alive for longer with very little quality of life. Let people end their life when they want, and save a fortune.

I’d cut the tiers of ‘management’ for one – there’s bound to be a few roles that we could do without – consultancy gets the same treatment.

I am so glad your not an NHS manager! Tiers of management have been cut from the NHS. Most clanicians I speak to say this has gone too far to the extent that now clinicans are spending time do management, as opposed to doing their clinical roles. Plus the fact that they have little/no management experience. So come up with a more realistic cheap attack please 😆

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Stop free boob jobs~ they’re milking the system

sweepy
    Free Member

Get rid of the homeopaths

bencooper
    Free Member

Homeopathy.

Edit: and psychics.

badllama
    Free Member

How about getting rid of half these “managers” that do sweet FA on the wards.
    Seriously I wonder how much of the NHS huge wage bills are taken by middle management.

ahwiles
    Free Member

sweepy – Member

Get rid of the homeopaths

which would also add costs to the NHS…

legend
    Free Member

Choosing to be fat is never likely to work out well, choosing to drive will generally be ok, choosing to do exercise probably shouldn’t be frowned upon even if it goes wrong now n again, burning yourself on a BBQ means either MTFU or removal of their Man Card

franksinatra

I would do away with free prescriptions here in Scotland. I can afford to pay for mine, if I couldn’t then I would probably be exempt anyway. That would be a huge saving.

chrismac

Get rid of interpreters and producing documents in 27 different languages. It is a UK service that should only work in English. You dont expect english version of everything in french or spanish hospitals so why in UK ones?

I would also nationalise the GP service so GP’s are paid to see patients and not run their own businesses.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why not just privatise the NHS.

The more time I spend in the NHS the less I think that privatisation would be a bad thing.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s all arse about face; we should be aiming to provide the best care that we can, not attempting to save money on healthcare.

There will come a time in all of your futures when you will appreciate why.

Stoner
    Free Member

Why not just privatise the NHS. The greater the level of risk you expose yourself to, the higher your insurance premiums.

I think we’d find a refreshing honesty on the insurance application forms…

Qu: Do you participate in any extreme sports?
    A: Y, Mountain Biking
    Response: Gnarl factor 9, High risk of trauma.

Qu: Do you post regularly on STW?
    A: Y
    Response: Gnarl factor 1, High risk of obesity, RSI, high blood pressure, ostriches. Low risk of trauma.

sweepy
    Free Member

which would also add costs to the NHS…

No it wouldn’t, you could just give out water, with a bit of credible mumbo jumbo. Any minimum wage fool could do that.

Stoner
    Free Member

we should be aiming to provide the best care that we can, not attempting to save money on healthcare.

…but…reviewing how to pay for it.

Miffy
    Free Member

Get rid of all the ‘made up’ admin / managerial jobs that are there to analyse figures that another made up department has created.

Let the clinicians / Drs / Nurses to get on with fixing / doing the medicial stuff and spending the majority of their time not filling out forms and reporting on made up subjective targets.

franksinatra

Choosing to be fat is never likely to work out well

Unless if you are one of those large women who get paid to sit on men.
    Or a sumo wrestler

Swelper
    Free Member

Its not Service cuts that are needed. It’s slack, inept, multi layered management structures that need streamlined.

Get Gerry Robinson onto the case

craigxxl
    Free Member

Breast enlargements and other vanity operations. Plastic surgery should be there for people who have been disfigured or to correct a defect.
    The right to end your life if you are of sound mind. I couldn’t imagine anything worse than been locked in a body that no longer functions and us a burden on my loved ones.

jimster
    Free Member

Managers!!

I bet there’s a manager for every aspect involved in the NHS, and they have to answer to another manager who reports to another for three or four layers until it reaches the main man.

Where Mrs J works, not the NHS but the Civil Service, there are folks who are “Managers” who keep a diary which the staff also do to progress work on time. Of course all management positions are “Ring-fenced” whenever cut-backs are going through, so you get rid of the staff.

convert

The problem with medical cutbacks is that they often sound reasonable to people until they directly effect either you or your nearest and dearest. Medical advancements have been amazing since the start of the NHS. There are now so many treatments available(and to spend money on) that were not even dreamed of and cures which have kept people alive even longer(to suffer other expensive illnesses). Sadly it’s now becoming a victim of its own success and becoming unaffordable. When I say unaffordable, what I mean is unaffordable unless the populous at large is prepared to elect a government that increases taxation even more to pay for it, or we choose another method of paying for it like a privatised system with some winners and lot more losers.

I’d hate to be the person that gets to make these choices in real life.

Drac

An axe through management and their band 5/6 PAs oh and PA assistants.

Bring back on call GPs 24/7

Increase the treat to relieve symptoms of long term conditions rather than people hanging on with little existence. Although that is finally on a snowball.

Stop stupid target times that invoke fines far too many pointless targets.

Stop free prescriptions for those on benefits unless it’s their illness that means they can’t work.

thepurist

Hospital meals – if I’m sick I go right off my food, and if I’m healthy they’re not appetising anyway.

Northwind

If we’re cutting out treatment on self-inflicted issues like smoking-related or obesity-related diseases, we’ll probably save a fortune on mountainbikers’ broken bones too.

Personally… We extend end-of-life and IMO we do it because we can, without asking enough whether we should. My grandma outlived herself- her body was well looked after but for the last years she wasn’t there at all. I don’t believe she’d have allowed that to happen had she known. My grandad refused care and died on his terms, dementia took that option from my grandma. But I have absolutely no idea how this can be dealt with morally, ethically, medically…

piemonster

I’d sack all administrative staff that are only there to facilitate government driven NHS overhauls

franksinatra

All maternity services! Less babies being born = less patients to treat in the future.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 217 total)

The topic ‘NHS cuts – you're in charge – what services do you get rid of?’ is closed to new replies.