• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bails.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • NHS .A good idea.
  • zippykona

You choose yor preferred religious holiday.
    That way you don’t have to pay triple pay for staff to work on Christmas day when for a lot of people it’s just another day.
    Likewise people who want to celebrate Buddha’s birthday won’t have to work on that day.
    Fridays off for Muslims and Sundays for Christians.
    It should save a fortune and make lots of people happy.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m not religious, what day do i get off?

scaredypants

blimey!

who in the NHS gets triple time for doing that?

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you’re a vampire do you get triple time for the dayshift?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If you’re a vampire do you get triple time for the dayshift?

No but you get claim a second home allowance and expenses for geting to Westminster

Drac

That way you don’t have to pay triple pay for staff to work on Christmas day when for a lot of people it’s just another day.

They don’t pat triple time anyway.

myti
    Free Member

Notices sudden take up of religions with the most holidays and holy days…who’s going to police this?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d have to check, but I don’t think my Wife gets paid anything like triple for bank holidays, I think it’s time and a half and a day in Lieu.

I don’t think there’s nearly enough people of other faiths to make it work, an they don’t *have* to pay them more to work Xmas or whatever, if your shift falls on Christmas day you’re working, but you do get a bit more money – in my Wife’s Department booked holidays are effectively banned for the week before and the week after Christmas because otherwise no one would want to work Xmas day – but, as most clinics are closed they do get some days off (out of their holiday allocation) chosen by the manager – typically parents get Xmas off, people who don’t have kids get NYE/NYD off, everyone seems begrudgingly happy about it.

Lots of the NHS does close for Xmas, more Senior Staff don’t work weekends, nights or bank holidays as a rule unless they’re in an emergency department.

You shouldn’t fall into the trap of thinking the NHS is badly organised when it comes to things like this, just because the papers say they are.

jam-bo

so effectively 2.5x pay then? sounds pretty close to 3x…

nickc

That way you don’t have to pay triple pay for staff to work on Christmas day

triple time doesn’t happen, also, I used to run 3 dental practices that had Xmas day as a regular shift day. (in fact it was open 365) and we weren’t uncommon

P-Jay
    Free Member

Notices sudden take up of religions with the most holidays and holy days…who’s going to police this?

I think the plan would allow you to pick one, you don’t have to be religious or anything, but say you wanted to be Muslim because Eid al-Fitr is in the Summer then you can, you get a 4 day weekend in June or whatever, but not in December.

I’d happily ‘go Muslim’ for Holidays, they always seem to be in the summer, but you might want to check – Jesus is an important prophet to the Muslims so they might call for a BH in December too.

Drac

so effectively 2.5x pay then? sounds pretty close to 3x…

Nope as the day in lieu is part of the annual leave hours.

I get normal rate and 3 hours in lieu.

P-Jay
    Free Member

so effectively 2.5x pay then? sounds pretty close to 3x..

Not really, for example – I get 26 days leave a year, plus bank holidays – so in effect, 34 days off a year over and above weekends.

My Wife gets 26 days a year leave too (but it’s in hours because the NHS is complex like that). Her Dept is open 24/7 because of what they do – so they can’t all have bank holidays off – it would be ‘easy’ to give them 34 days leave to make it fair (with me) but that’s a bit simple for that, so to save a few quid they say if you work on a BH you get a day in leiu, if your shift misses a BH then you don’t – odd I know. The day is leiu isn’t really a perk, it’s recompense for the BH.

The extra money is for coming to work when the rest of the western world it tucked up with a tin of Roses and an Only Fools re-run.

bruneep

Wifie get time and 2/3rds for working PH. Also the pleasure of having little rest and comfort breaks and treated like shit by her patients.

What’s not to like

jimdubleyou

I’m not religious, what day do i get off?

You can have the standard public holidays or declare yourself to be Pastafarian: http://flyingspaghettimonster.wikia.com/wiki/Holidays

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Who in the NHS gets Christmas / Sundays / Easter / Insert any national holiday here, off? Unless its rota’d.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I assume Jedis get May 4th off as
    bank holiday?

richardkennerley

I worked a shift on Xmas day last year, covering the remainder of the 24hrs on call, didn’t get triple time for any of that. Work pretty much every day except Xmas this year (Xmas Eve, boxing day, all days in between apart from 27/28, NYE and new years day.) All 12hr days, won’t be getting triple time for any of it.

Time and a third for SAT’s, time and a sixth for Sunday’s, time and an eighth I think on BH’s.

TomB

Agenda for change terms (nurses, ambulance staff etc) will give you double time on a bank holiday if you are on overtime, but if you’re rostered on it’s just another day. There are shift enhancements of up to 25% depending on the proportion of your total hours that are made up of unsocial hours.

matt_outandabout

Would it not save more to limit what agencies and locum’s get paid?

tjagain

Just to put this right. working xmas day you get paid time + 60% usually.

Days in lieu are given to everyone – because xmas week is still a normal working week ie we still do our full hours even if off on xmas day – so its a normal rest day if you have the day off.

do those of you who work monday to friday 9 – 5 come still do your full working week if xmas day is a weekday ie work the sat or sun to make up your hours? Very rare if it ever happens.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You should take up smoking

bails

Would it not save more to limit what agencies and locum’s get paid?

They’re doing that. It’s worked a bit but if you pay less then people are less willing to do the work, so you end up with an A&E department with no consultants or a ward with half the ‘safe’ number of nurses… So the rates go up to cover the shortage.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘NHS .A good idea.’ is closed to new replies.