Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • NHL Hockey has begun (the annual attempt at a thread)
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I don’t claim to know much about NHL, but my cousin won something like 4 Stanley Cups. Not bad for a Glaswegian (Steve Smith)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don’t claim to know much about NHL, but my cousin won something like 4 Stanley Cups. Not bad for a Glaswegian (Steve Smith)

It was ‘only’ 3 *coughs*

Steve Smith was/is very well known in Edmonton & according to Wikiwhotsit he’s now a coach for Carolina.

There hasn’t been many UK players who’ve ‘made it’ in the NHL, Steve Smith, Steve Thomas (Stockport) & Owen Nolan (Belfast) are the only ones that come to mind without Google.

Edit, there’s loads more that I didn’t know about!

SaxonRider

The UK connection is interesting. We so often think about rugby/cricket and how they connect us with Australia and NZ, but the Canadians that invented hockey were primarily Scottish, and it was inevitable that the game should have flowed back to Scotland at least.

In fact, when you look at the founding dates of some of the Scottish teams in the British Super League, they aren’t that much younger than the Montreal Canadiens.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I last saw Steve in 94 I think during a Blackhawks v Canadians series at Wembley. He gave a me a signed stick after the match which now hangs on my sons bedroom wall.
    Previous to that I saw him play in LA back in 87 whilst playing for the Oilers. He introduced me to Gretsky after the match, a great memory. I was taller than him aged 10!

I remember playing NHL 95 on the mega drive against my friends after school, and I always used to win the fist fights with Steves character. Seems he was quite a tough nut 🙂

He told me that when he was drafted from Glasgow aged 18, he was a skinny streak at 6’4″, they essentially locked him in a gym and fed him all sorts for a year and he turned out a BSH.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

And the early season form has gone with 3 losses in a row

Pigface
    Free Member

Thrashed by the Habs, we need a keeper

HV won though which is good, Jokipojat tknight.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ooh Sabres picking up a bit, Eichel has got 4 goals so far. Good to see some progress.

Pigface
    Free Member

Sabres win again 😆

Good to see ex Sabres doing well, Thomas Vanek scored a couple of good ones last night.

sboardman

Finally an Avs win!

Eichel looks like he’s going to be a beast Pigface. Certainly got stronger wrists than McDavid 😛

Pigface
    Free Member

Smashed that powerplay goal yesterday didn’t he. He seems to be enjoying Buffalo and the fans love him 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Another win for the Sabres, now above the hated bruins, it wont last but celebrate when you can 😆

Also my little team in Finland came back from 4-1 down with 10 minutes to go, to draw 5-5 and then win on penalties, they were rocking in Joensuu 😆

SaxonRider

I cannot believe how quickly the Jets are sinking. I love them, but they lead me on a roller coaster every year! Even in their old incarnation they were the same.

Pigface
    Free Member

Rasmus Ristolainen scores a hat trick and the Sabres still lose 🙁 not the worst team so far this year so making progress 😆

Montreal have lost 4 on the bounce and still lead the Eastern division, incredible.

towzer

somewhat of a tangent

but if anybody fancies playing floorball (sort of non-ice ice hockey)

we’re – http://www.burghfield-floorball.co.uk/ (just S of Reading, M4 J12/11, Berks)

other teams are available:
    http://www.sports-clubs.net/Sport/Clubs.aspx?SportID=185&Sport=Floorball%20(Floor%20Hockey)

SaxonRider

@towzer: I already play here in Cardiff, but would second your tangent as a worthwhile one.

@Pigface: I am pleased to see the Sabres climbing the ranks. They deserve a break or ten after years of being at the bottom. Same with the Oilers and even – dare I say it – the Bluejackets. I genuinely feel bad for teams that can’t seem to find the forumla year-in year-out.

Except for Tampa. I am always happy when they don’t win. 😈

sweaman2
    Free Member

How about dem flames 8) Eight in a row at home.

Pigface
    Free Member

Saxon Rider I think it is safe to say Ryan Miller kept us punching above our weight, when he left it went very wrong, getting rid of Lindy was also stupid. Miller was a divisive figure, I think he was a fantastic keeper, others don’t.

I really don’t like teams that play ice hockey in warm places, any of the Florida teams, the Sharks and now my most hated team after the Bruins the Kings, all because of Lucic 😡

SaxonRider

I really don’t like teams that play ice hockey in warm places

This x infinity.

The whole Bettman-led expansion in that regard has been an unmitigated disaster. Bettman has to be hockey’s Sepp Blatter. I mean, are kids in Tampa excitedly getting out of bed on Saturdays to play road hockey under the palm trees? No. Of course not. So how can/why should they have a professional team?

Ridiculous.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How about dem flames Eight in a row at home.

Makes a bloody change!

The whole Bettman-led expansion in that regard has been an unmitigated disaster. Bettman has to be hockey’s Sepp Blatter. I mean, are kids in Tampa excitedly getting out of bed on Saturdays to play road hockey under the palm trees? No. Of course not. So how can/why should they have a professional team?

The bloke’s a slimeball, can’t stand the way he waves his arms about & spouts off when he hands The Cup over.

Pigface
    Free Member

Yeah baby beat the Kings 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

How do you guys watch the games? Do you stay up till midnight and stream it from somewhere?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Flames are (almost) alight!

How do you guys watch the games? Do you stay up till midnight and stream it from somewhere?

Premier Sports unfortunately.

kerbdog
    Free Member

NHL game center is pretty good value for money although you do get the odd blackout if premier sports is showing the game which can be annoying.
    Still for aprox 75 quid you get to watch the entire season plus a game vault of classic games going back to the late 50’s. Oh and im a Pens fan glad to see mike johnston going and hoping sullivan can whip the team into shape.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

NHL game center is pretty good value for money although you do get the odd blackout if premier sports is showing the game which can be annoying.
    Still for aprox 75 quid you get to watch the entire season plus a game vault of classic games going back to the late 50’s. Oh and im a Pens fan glad to see mike johnston going and hoping sullivan can whip the team into shape.

I only really have time to watch what I’ve recorded on Premier (& not even all of that) but If I had more time I’d take a look at Game Centre.

SaxonRider

Right up until the other day, I was using hockeystreams.com. It was nothing short of amazing, in that with a premier account, you get access to every single league broadcast in North America, including every NHL game – both live and on-demand.

The problem is that, although I had signed up for automatic renewal, it did not renew automatically, and now I can’t renew.

I don’t know what’s happening over there, but if you can sign up, it is well worth it. Its streaming rates are much higher than Game Center Live, and the access you get is unparalleled by any other service.

Now, if only I could get my renewal sorted… 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

Sabres shut out the ducks, GYSOT

SaxonRider

Help me out here! I’m agonising over the loss of hockeystreams.com, and am looking for a new way of watching.

Is Premier Sports my only option? If so, how happy are any of you with them?

Pigface
    Free Member

Beat the Boston Shitbagscumbagjizzgarglingfuckwits 😆 Jack scored twice on his first game at his birthplace, brilliant

HV won as well so a good nights hockey..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Is Premier Sports my only option? If so, how happy are any of you with them?

I’m happy enough with the coverage except It’s only available on Sky AFAIK.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Went to the Canucks – Hurricanes game on Wednesday. A win for the Canucks, but a very average performance. Lack had a good game for the Hurricanes on his return to Vancouver.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ovechkin scores 500th goal and then 501st, fantastic achievement, best current player in NHL IMO

SaxonRider

Ovechkin scores 500th goal and then 501st, fantastic achievement, best current player in NHL IMO

Ovechkin is an amazing player, and it is a pleasure watching him.

I just wish he had never said anything about being a supporter of Putin’s Russia, though, as it took some of the shine away.

Pigface
    Free Member

Woohoo go Sabres, humping Washington 😆 didn’t see that happening, HV win and Jokipojat score a point, good weekend of hockey.

Pigface
    Free Member

Going for 5 wins in a row, this is heady stuff for the Sabres 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Ok so didnt make 5 in a row, no great surprise.

Anyone see Lucic lose his head against the Coyotes on Saturday 😆 ejected and then had a tantrum, King Goon a total bell end who is just a 100% cockwomble. Should be having a rest after that one.

Pigface
    Free Member

The NHL needs to come down hard on Dennis Wideman for this vicious hit on a referee

Some talk about a ban for life, looks deliberate to me.

SaxonRider

That looks like it should be career-ending. As the article says, if it was a result of concussion, that’s one thing; if, however, it was entirely deliberate – which it certainly appears to be – he should be suspended for good.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just had the most amazing weekend of hockey in Finland.

Saxon have you seen this? 😆

[video]http://youtu.be/fRgJq_yHbI8[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

😆 😆 Bruins humped by the Kings

Sabres humped in Florida, Jagr scores again but things are looking up for Buffalo, Kane wins a 3 round fight as well.

Pigface
    Free Member

Woohoo Sabres get past Montreal

[video]https://www.nhl.com/video/legwands-breakaway-goal/t-277988122/c-41265703[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘NHL Hockey has begun (the annual attempt at a thread)’ is closed to new replies.