• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • NFC – does anyone actually use it?
  • jam-bo

My new phone I’ve just ordered doesn’t have it which according to the reviews is a massive oversight.

My bank cards do but I’ve never actually seen anywhere I can use it.

Is it in major use in them big cities? Is it just Devon stuck in the dark ages?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s coming. Over in oz there is a lot of touch to pay stuff and my bank is rolling it out. Also would like to incorporate some transport cards into it.

allthegear
    Free Member

Given the new iPhone doesn’t have it, I’ll be surprised if it really takes off for another couple of years at least.

MSP

I don’t see that there is currently any driving force for its uptake, chip and pin works, why would a retailer invest in upgrading to accept near field technology, when it seems to offer little if any advantage over current systems.

zokes
    Free Member

why would a retailer invest in upgrading to accept near field technology, when it seems to offer little if any advantage over current systems.

If it’s under $100 here in Oz and you tap to pay, you don’t need to enter a pin etc, which does make things quicker. What there is to stop someone who gets hold of your card from doing the same is another question 😕

Ewan
    Free Member

I use it in Pret in London. Perhaps it’s the novelty of living in the future, but I quite like it.

retro83
    Free Member

How does it work with a NFC phone? Does it just take money from your Google Wallet like when buying an app?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve used it on my debit card a couple of times, both a few months ago when it was a bit of a novelty for me and the staff!

I’m with MSP though- I don’t really see that people are that bothered about it and so it’s not being pushed forward. I don’t think the kit is that expensive though- just a new PDQ machine?

Pembo
    Free Member

How does it work with a NFC phone? Does it just take money from your Google Wallet like when buying an app?

You associate a debit/credit card with the phone so there is no difference between using card or phone assuming your card is contactless. I work at a site which is cashless and just changed my debit card to contactless as chip and pin is a faff when you buy a cup of coffee . First Direct as usual were very helpful, told me I would get a contactless card in 2015 when my current card expired but were quite happy to issue a new one straight away, they just marked it on the system as damaged and I got a new card in a couple of days.

igm

Is it just me that doesn’t want to make moving money out of their bank account any easier than it already is?

I’m sure if it takes off I will end up using it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Contactless only allows payments of £20 or less, at least with Barclays, so it’s not as if you could go too crazy with it.

bruneep

I have a sticker from my cc company that is attached to the back of my phone. Anything over £20 requires pin sometimes it asks for pin randomly.

igm

£20 is a round in the pub. You can buy a lot of rounds in an evening.

beej

For payment, all the networks will be offering “stored value accounts”. You load these us with bank account/debit card/in a store, and it’s like having cash in your wallet. When the money loaded up is spent, you have to load it again. So if you have £50 in your SVA, that’s the most you can lose from it.

In addition, you’ll be able to add credit/debit cards to the wallet on your NFC phone, and use them at the same places you can use contactless credit/debit cards. More and more places accept these (120K terminals out there at the moment) but retailers are somewhat reticent to upgrade their POS again – they did it fairly recently for chip and PIN. Macdonalds is probably the biggest retailer with them but it’s coming to Asda soonish.

But that’s just payment – NFC/mobile wallets can do a lot more. Oyster cards, event/travel tickets, loyalty cards, vouchers, gym passes, door entry… all can be put in a mobile wallet. It’s probably going to be more useful for these than for payment.

Jamie
    Free Member

£20 is a round in the pub. You can buy a lot of rounds in an evening.

Right. Everyone down the pub, igm is buying!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But that’s just payment – NFC/mobile wallets can do a lot more. Oyster cards, event/travel tickets, loyalty cards, vouchers, gym passes, door entry… all can be put in a mobile wallet. It’s probably going to be more useful for these than for payment.

This will make it work

Given the new iPhone doesn’t have it, I’ll be surprised if it really takes off for another couple of years at least.

This will just leave iphone users a bit behind

Jamie
    Free Member

This will just leave iphone users a bit behind

Don’t worry. We are getting used to playing catchup.

igm

Sorry Jamie, I don’t seem to have my NFC. On me you couldn’t sub me could you?

IanW
    Free Member

In the UK if you are desperate for NFC you can just stick a card on your phone. job done.

There is no need to shell out for phone only here so it wont be any time soon.

The tech will be introduced in developing countries first, which unlike us dont have the an existing solution. (cards)

In those countries there is a demand and need so Africa, India, some Eastern Europe are all better markets than UK, US etc.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘NFC – does anyone actually use it?’ is closed to new replies.