Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nexus 5 Replacement Battery
  • Freester

My 18 month old Nexus 5 is giving me some problems. Battery life seems erratic to say the least. Sometimes left on standby I’ll get 8 hours out of it. Sometimes not. If I’m using it I seem to not get a lot more than 60-90 minutes with the screen on. It certainly seems worse than when I first got the phone.

Sometimes when the battery is low it will just switch off without warning (the battery low at 15% warning just doesn’t kick in).

Battery usage reported in the settings doesn’t report any dodgy apps.

A lot of t’internet research and I’m none the the wiser. Some people saying a new battery sorted it out (the procedure to change the battery doesn’t look too bad on fixit).

Anyone done this? Did it help? I am tempted to take a punt on an 8 quid battery on Amazon despite conflicting reviews on whether the new battery improved battery life or even if the battery is a genuine replacement.

Cougar

If it’s 18 months old I’d be pursuing a warranty claim with the supplier (after I’d tried a factory reset).

sniff
    Free Member

Get a new charger cable. Happened to two Nexus phones I know and new cable fixed it. Apparently they degrade so that they don’t fork your battery.

Freester

Cougar I already factory reset it. Nada difference. I really don’t want to be going through the pain of a warranty claim with Carphone Warehouse who I bought it from. Maybe I will summon the courage!

Sniff – I recharge it on a couple of different chargers. Nexus 5 charger, Nexus 7 charger (which is brand new) and cable into my PC. Surely all the USB cables can’t be foobar?

traildog
    Free Member

Have you tried ringing Google? They are very helpful. I wouldn’t go opening it up yourself if it’s under two years.

chakaping
    Free Member

Two year warranty, just get it sent back.

We just got a new (OK, refurbed) Nexus 4 out of Google and they were really good.

Freester

Ahh I didn’t realise. Will try the CPW or Google direct route. Thanks

Freester

Just had it out of it’s case and the back is actually coming off in one place. I read somewhere about batteries swelling?

Freester

Cheers for the advice.

Spoke to Google. They put me on to the LG helpline (as I hadn’t bought the device from Google Play Store). Nice man at LG took all my details and will be sending me a prepaid jiffy bag to return the device. According to the guy it’s a 3 year warranty in the UK. 5-7 day turnaround quoted.

Freester

Got my phone back last night. Posted last Monday returned following week on Thursday. Battery replaced. Miles better than when I sent it. Cost now’t just had to borrow a phone while mine was away. Thanks all for the advice!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 5 Replacement Battery’ is closed to new replies.