• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Nexus 5- battery suddenly dropped off massively
  • hora
    Free Member

Initially battery charge time was rapid on factory loaded kitkat (pre lollipop 5.0.1update), use time good.

Along came lollipop with its ‘fix’ for poor battery life (but my phone was fine). Two months on …fast fwd to this week and charge time takes hours, life a fee hours. Ive deleted all aftermarket apps, disabled others etc yet its still bad.

Coukd it be a redherring i.e as simple as a faulty battery? Phone is 3months old.

sniff
    Free Member

My cable gave up with very similar symptoms.

Try another cable and see.

andyl
    Free Member

Clear app cache. Worst case do a reset.

Try a new cable and charger.

Don’t run any 3rd party battery apps.

Make sure GPS is off.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cells in batteries can fail, afaik. I had a laptop battery that was fine for about a year then suddenly it fell off a cliff. Battery reported like 5% suddenly and the machine shut down.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lolipop and the Nexus 5 have had some issues, so I’ve heard.
    Places to look:

One
    Two
    Three

daveh
    Free Member

Antutu battery test will give you a clue on the battery. I did the 30% test with ~35% battery remaining. Year old battery scored 2300, ‘new’ eBay battery scored 3100.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My nexus 5 is about 4 months old and the battery life is shocking, take it off charge at 5.30am and its 90% flat by 1pm … and thats just a few txt to the wife !

traildog
    Free Member

The cable wears out. If the charge is taking ages then it’s likely that it’s worn out, so get a new one. The cables wear by design so your phone doesn’t, but unfortunatly they don’t last that long with constant plugging everyday. Wireless charging has an advantage even if there are still wires involved.

Try charging your phone when it’s turned off, you cannot blame the OS if it’s still not charging. It could be the battery but most likely the cable. There seems to be a big difference in price of cables but I have found more expensive ones last longer, but they still wear out!

There is an issue with Lollipop, probably a memory leak. I find it suddenly starts to go really slow, crash regularly and drink battery. A phone reboot sorts it out and I have to do this about every week. A bit annoying when KitKat was so stable, I never turned the phone off in over a year. Fingers cross that 5.0.2 fixes it…

Just to add my Nexus is over a year old now and starting to show signs of an older battery. But with just occasional texting I’ll get through the day with about 40% intact. With occasional browsing and using the phone properly I generally get through till about tea time. The battery saving mode does wonders if you stay out without planning.

I wonder if an app is drinking the battery, perhaps have a look at your notifications. I know Facebook was a bit over eager to notify me of someone I once met entering some cafe I’d never heard of, had a big effect on battery life.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Give it a whirl in safe mode and see if you have the same issues:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en-GB

hora
    Free Member

crash regularly

Its been doing that alot recently- restarting itself. Then theres a DOS-type screen with HAMMERHEAD – press start here that appears upon this reboot.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Before lollipop my nexus 4 was faultless, now it occasionally crashes, blobs out, re boots and seems to have to think about stuff quite often. Haven’t noticed the battery getting any worse than it already was, it was poor anyway.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

My Nexus 4 has randomly crashed for ages. It’s better since I had a purge of apps.

Still does it from time to time – have to do the power button/down volume thing while plugging in the power to get it back to life sometimes.

Dolcered

I needed to do s factory reset on my nexus 5 after lollipop install, and it started switching itself off and took an age to switch back on.

Not as bad as it sounds, I lost nothing. I did export contacts first just in case. Phone is back to being as good as it was.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you got it wet?

Be honest with us.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This is hora, the answer will be

chakaping
    Free Member

😆

hora
    Free Member

Sorry that was a real spit drink over screen* moment then 😆

*work computer

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 5- battery suddenly dropped off massively’ is closed to new replies.