Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Nexus 4 as biking phone?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

My Samsung Galaxy S3 has died. I really liked it, but it seems keeping it in my pocket while out riding in the wet has done for it.

Not impressed with Google’s customer service, but willing to take a punt on one of the £200 Nexus 4 phones – but wondering if it’s compatible with biking?

– How’s the battery life? (S3 was excellent)
    – Does it shrug water off OK? (will keep in a sandwich bag anyway)
    – Will it take as good pics as the S3?

Thanks in advance

mps711
    Free Member

I carried mine in my pocket for a couple of months to log rides with no problems.

Battery and picture wise I imagine it is much the same as the S3, the only downside with the Nexus 4 is that you are stuck with either 8 or 16GB of storage.

I doubt it will withstand water any better than the S3, I have only ever had the odd bit of rain on mine.

Although I have not broken mine yet, the Nexus 4 does have a glass back panel which may make it a bit more fragile than the S3.

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t compare to the s3 but battery life is pretty good if you turn stuff off like WiFi and data if you aren’t using them. The GPS is pretty good too. I take mine out riding.
    Needs to be in a case as it is glass both sides, then in a sandwich bag if it is raining as there isn’t really any waterproofing. Its been fine so far. Camera is fine. Takes good pics I’d the light isn’t too challenging and there are some good camera options.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

If you don’t have any problem using it over a long day out (say eight hours’ riding with Strava on and taking a few pics and making a couple of calls) then I guess it’d be OK.

I’d probably get a rubber case to cover back and sides anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

I think you’re taking a risk with any phone that’s not specifically waterproof if you don’t keep it in some sort of sealed container when riding.

greeble
    Free Member

run strava without a data connection will save a massive chunk of battery

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve got the S3 and I just bought the Mrs the Nexus – I’d say it’s a slightly better phone than the S3 but there’s really not much in it.

richmtb

Get a Samsung X Cover 2 instead.

Based on an Galaxy S3 but ruggedised.

IP67 certified and toughened to handle knocks and drops.

I’ve see a video of one that spent 10 minutes in a cement mixer.

After a quick wipe it was spotless, so should easily handle a bit of biking.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you’re taking a risk with any phone that’s not specifically waterproof if you don’t keep it in some sort of sealed container when riding.

Well yes, I realise that now. Hadn’t really experienced any problems before but live and learn…

Get a Samsung X Cover 2 instead.

Looks really good but too much of a compromise I suspect. Shoulda said I also need to do normal smartphoney things.

clubber
    Free Member

I know it’s kind of stating the obvious but I’m always surprised at how many people ride with a several hundred quid phone in their jersey pocket and then inevitably some are confused why they die and won’t be warrantied.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a N4 and used it a couple of times to record rides with Strava.

Longest ride only 2.5 hrs but battery was still 60-70% at the end.
    I put it in a sandwich bag like what you do 😉
    GPS accuracy/lock time is good, my old Galaxy S was much worse (but it’s a 3yr old phone)
    Camera is OK, don’t know how it compares to a S3.

In all, I’m happy 🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Consider a waterproof phone?

High end:
    Sony Xperia Z
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

Low end:
    Sony Xperia GO

chakaping
    Free Member

I know it’s kind of stating the obvious but I’m always surprised at how many people ride with a several hundred quid phone in their jersey pocket and then inevitably some are confused why they die and won’t be warrantied.

How long are you going to keep rubbing it in?

I usually keep it dry, but got caught out in a huge storm in the Alps.

🙁

skids
    Free Member

I got one, it is about as fragile as a phone can get so don’t fall off, but for £200 it’s a great deal

bone_idle
    Free Member

I can share my N4 water experience with you. Just after I got my shiny new N4 It dropped out of my jacket pocket into a pond. I was cleaning my dogs feet at the time before gong into the pub. I heard the plop but only caught site of the phone until a moment or 2 later. Grabbed the phone out and turned it off. gave it a shake turned it on and it worked the speaker needed drying out with a hair dryer but other than that it still works perfectly. I had just a bumper case on it so that must have stopped water getting to the buttons but the earphone jack and usb port must have got water in.
    Buy one they are great also get a bumper case it helps loads if you drop it.

sacktwist
    Free Member

Use my Nexus 4 regularly on rides. Longest was a 7.5 hour Strava recorded ride. Used phone to make calls post ride and sat nav function to get home. No problem at all with the battery on that occasion. On mtb rides I keep it in a case (for bumps) inside a waterproof bag, inside my Camelback. Common sense really.

chvck
    Free Member

I used my Nexus 4 loads for tracking rides, I tracked a 10 hour ride with it recently and was even using viewranger to navigate for some of that. I don’t have a case and just lob it in my bag, it’s not really any worse off for it. There is a crack in the back of mine but that’s because I slept on it and I’ve also dropped it in the toilet. It survived but needed a mic (cost me about 10 quid and 15 mins to fit). Pretty impressed with it really!

I’m going to start using an old Wildfire to track/navigate with though because I managed to get a waterproof handlebar mount/case for it and it lasts for 7 hours with the gps and the screen constantly on which is pretty good!

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Nexus 4 was happy logging a 12 hour ride the other week, had about 15% battery left at the end. seems pretty tough overall but like chvck above i use my old HTC wildfire as a bike mounted phone normally

Cougar

Get an Otterbox.

deviant
    Free Member

Loads of waterproof cases for the Nexus on eBay, one I was looking at has a clamping system that attaches to your handlebars, I believe it was about £20.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get a good case.

I assume you wont be taking a bag with you (hence in the jersey).
    Personally I’m far happier with a garmin on the bars for bike duties and the phone locked away in the bag or left in the car if it’s not needed.

stu1972
    Free Member

I’m going to sell my iPhone 4S to get one of these.
    Played with a one tonight and was impressed

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers guys, loads of good feedback there. Will order today.

gave it a shake turned it on and it worked the speaker needed drying out with a hair dryer but other than that it still works perfectly.

Just as an aside, my S3 got wet about six weeks before it packed up, worked fine for a while, started doing unexpected things – stopped charging then went dead.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 4 as biking phone?’ is closed to new replies.