Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Next vehicle – estate vs. MPV
  • thenorthwind

I’m looking at replacing my car in the not-too-distant future. Last couple have been estates – this one’s an 02 Volvo V40, which is awful, but it was £350 and I’ve had 2 and a half years and 15k miles out of it, so it owes me nothing.

The bangernomics thing has worked well for me in the past, but I might be willing to spend a bit more on this. Probably not more than a couple of grand though.

I’m debating whether to go for a car-derived van/MPV type thing instead of another estate.
    I’m thinking…
    Peugeot Partner
    Citroen Berlingo
    Ford Tourneo Connect (looks nice and big but a bit harder to come by/more expensive)

Use is mainly shifting stuff and weekends away and there’s often a dog and at least one bike in there. I like the idea of being able to put the bike in upright. May also get some use as a micro-camper (so tailgate would be nice).

I don’t commute (by car) and don’t do many short journeys, but it’ll often stand for a week or two, so I’m leaning away from diesel (which generally seems like the way things are going), but realise that limits things.

I like the idea of a higher load space, but don’t want to sacrifice length in return. LWB variants appeal, but not sure if they run into issues with insurance/speed limits, etc. if they’re classed as commercial vehicles.

Anyone got any recommendations?

squirrelking
    Free Member

You say MPV but haven’t actually mentioned any…

I see no argument against diesel in the specs given.

RustyNissanPrairie

Vintage Nissan Prairie with blue velour interior and a shit covered stick to fend off the massive amounts of sexual interest you’ll receive

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ianfitz
    Free Member

Until recently we had a Peugeot 307 sw 1.6 hdi estate.

It was high ish inside and could take a bike with the front wheel off. Also madly economical. Did 67. 8 mpg from Sheffield to keswick when driven slowly.

Sold it for <£1000

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

I have said before. Usually a cheap van has had a very hard life. A cheap unfashionable “old man image” estate has not. Usually has full service history and been cleaned and polished every Sunday!

jonnyboi

Fiat doblo, ugly as sin. Huge interior, and I mean huuuuuge. And actually quite economical.

Sliding doors for practicality, enormous tailgate you can stand under. Stealth camper potential too.

matt_outandabout

Not all mpv’ are bikes in upright with wheels on. Our mighty Galaxy will not, as the folding third row reduces boot depth.
    It sounds like a smarter/posher almost LuxoBarge estate might work for you IMO. Polished, serviced and cherished over what exact model or make.

thenorthwind

Yeah wasn’t quite sure MPV is the right term. Is there a name for the sort of thing I’ve mentioned?

I’ve about come to terms with the fact that I might have to own a French car. But Italian? I’m not sure I can push it that far.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Next vehicle – estate vs. MPV’ is closed to new replies.