Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Next Neil Gaiman book to read?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Read Stardust and American Gods, both of which I enjoyed. Any other Gaiman books I should check out? Neverwhere possibly?

chvck
    Free Member

Neverwhere is good, I enjoyed it a lot. I’ve read quite a lot buy can’t remember names, enjoyed them all though. My girlfriend LOVES his stuff and has pretty much everything he’s written!

RustySpanner

Neverwhere is on Radio 4 Extra this week – first episode was excellent.

Great book.

EDIT – Episode 1’s on the iPlayer now.

teasel
    Free Member

Someone once suggested I read Anansi Boys because it’s the follow-up to American Gods. I have it sat here but am yet to read it…

chvck
    Free Member

American Gods is being made into a film isn’t it?

TPTcruiser

Anansi Boys is in the American Gods end of his writing spectrum.
    The Graveyard Book though would contrast things.
    Edit: a passing reference/description to Anansi characters in American Gods, not much though.

Pickers

Good Omens – written with Terry Pratchett. Very good indeed IMO

Shackleton

Neverwhere is the best of his in my opinion. Anansi boys is OK. Good Omens with terry pratchett is also good but rather more comic than his other stuff.

Coyote
    Free Member

Anansi Boys and American Gods are standalone works.

The Graveyard Book is a good call although Neverwhere is his best to date IMHO.

teasel
    Free Member

Anansi Boys and American Gods are standalone works.

Thanks. Maybe I’ll give the former a read, then…

anonymouse
    Free Member

Give Stardust a go. Much better than the film.

unovolo
    Free Member

Another vote for Stardust ,read it years before the film was ever made and its very good.

Neverwhere is excellent too.

gazerath
    Free Member

Anansi Boys as you read it and just want more like it.

Grave yard book is brilliant though, heard he was rewriting it into a more mature book.

tazzymtb

smoke and mirrors is also brillaint as is M is for magik. If you like his stuff have a look at Ben Aaronovitch…it’s erm….heavily influenced shall we say, but still very good.

CountZero

I was going to suggest a couple of his books, but everyone’s mentioned them all already!
    Except for Coraline, which has been made into an animated movie, and damned good it is too.
    Although you might end up feeling a bit, uncomfortable when you see buttons…
    Neverwhere is very good, there was a BBC adaptation of it some time ago, but it was a bit shonky in some respects.

mikey74
    Free Member

Neverwhere is very good, there was a BBC adaptation of it some time ago, but it was a bit shonky in some respects.

Gaiman wrote Neverwhere as a screenplay originally, but was so disgusted with the outcome that he took it and turned it into a proper novel.

funkynick

Am quite surprised no-one has mentioned his graphic novels… the whole Sandman series being his most famous.

Also, the current adaptation of Neverwhere on Radio 4 is a new one, and pretty darned good as well, but I hadn’t realised that it was originally written as a mini-series for the BBC and then later turned into a novel… still very good.

mikey74
    Free Member
    CountZero

I would dearly love to see Neverwhere done properly, with a decent budget and cutting-edge SFX.
    For those who like that particular book, or any of Neil’s books, I highly recommend Kate Griffin’s Matthew Swift Urban Magic series, starting with A Madness Of Angels. They are all set in London, and are particularly dark and gritty, with a similar basic idea; that the London everyone knows has a hidden, magical side just out of view, except Kate’s books are set in the open, wider city, rather than the London Below. Great stories, the sixth and last book is published later this year.

mikey74
    Free Member

A Madness Of Angels

I’m reading that at the moment. It’s good, but I miss the quirkiness of Gaiman.

TPTcruiser

UnLunDun by China Meiville in the same hidden magical side schtick of London. Good because of the twists.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have liked all of his books I read and hope he brings out a new novel soon.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Next Neil Gaiman book to read?’ is closed to new replies.